Wrong Turn - Remake

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Sep 11, 2019.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Just finished it and I loved it.

I gotta say I groaned when it started and had a sinking feeling it wasn't gonna go well but once they were in the woods and all hell broke loose it had me and never let me go till the end, It's different enough to exist in the world with the original, it's bleak, it's brutal and has a killer ending.

I'll definitely be picking the blu ray up at some point.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Holy fuck this was a good one!

The first 45 minutes, it felt kinda "meh", but after that, the movie changes into something MUCH better.
    And that ending, I haven't laughed out that loud in a long time.
    Really enjoyed the mix of satire, dark comedy, and ultra serious horror.

I love the original Wrong Turn, but I think this reboot is almost as good.

Btw, can we change the title of the thread? This isn't a remake, it's a reboot.

Natas and hots4 like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I agree, definitely a reboot not a re-make and to be fair I think this was the best way for this to go.

I've read some really low scoring reviews on IMDB, I was quite surprised at how low some of these are, as I said I was a little on the meh side at the beginning and the PC nature of things got me expecting the worse but once it kicked in and found it's feet this is a remake/reboot that really is done right and it definitely deserves the attention of visitor's to this site, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Steel76 likes this.
  4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Best ending I've seen to a horror movie in years. That shot is breathtaking. I'm excited a few of you got a chance to catch it. Very happy I saw on the big screen!!!

hots4 and Steel76 like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I didn't think this came out for another week? Digital and disc are nothing showing 2/23?

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's already leaked online.
    Definitely getting the disc on release.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Watched it last night. I enjoyed it but thought it was just OK. I liked where they were going with some things but don't feel they stuck the landing as well as they could have.
    Whilst showing some bloody images and gore I still felt like they were shying away from it with quick cuts or missing bloody moments of impact.
    Also, in regards to the trial,
    why does the lead girl suddenly decide to lie when 1) she was the only one not ok with their friend killing a man and had the moral high ground about it, and 2) knew that these people knew exactly what had happened? It was such a dumb moment.
    That and the fact that it seems the foundation could speak English and just chose not to when they had the groups friend didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I might watch it again and see if my thoughts change but yeah, just found it alright with a concept that could have been great.

8. sinister

sinister Active Member

Jesus fucking christ this was bad... like so bad it was actually unintentionally funny so quite good in a way. That line "Use us, Darius works in non-profit" I actually LOL'd. :D

I knew I should have turned it off after the first 10-15 mins of PC diversity committee box ticking bullshit, but kept going hoping it would improve. It really didn't.

As a serious horror movie, 3/10. As an unintentionally funny comedy at the expense of modern horror, 6/10.

Find it very strange that this got a better score on IMDB than the recent and similar "Teens in backwoods peril" movie "Butchers", https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8764358/ , which I thought was actually pretty good and had waaaay more talent on display in all departments than this trash.

Zombie Dude and wago70 like this.
  9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I didn't dislike the film as much as you seemed to. The first 30-40 minutes was very cliche but then it fortunately went into some new territory. The most ridiculous scene to me was the log rolling downhill. Had any of them simply walked 10 feet to the right or left they would have been fine. Instead they all ran 100 feet directly ahead of the log. This reminded me of scenes where people are being chased by someone in a car and they run in the middle of the road to try to get away. Dreadfully stupid.

10. Zombie Dude

You could tell where they were running? The way it was edited I had a hard time figuring what was going on lol.

11. killit

killit Active Member

PC? I won't lay it on thick, but I was in university in USA almost ten years ago, and whenever we were in teams, there were gay people, Latino people, women and black people in almost every team. This is a really accurate portrayal of an American college friends group in my experience, casting all white is just delusional of producers in 2021. These type of films always play culture clash and respect to the hilt and this did this well and it obviously is having a ton of fun with the subgenre and delivers a fun ride and a satisfying ending.

12. CPT HOOK

Wow, so is everyone here pirating this thing and I'm the only sucker left waiting for the blu-ray on Tuesday?

While waiting, I did revisit the first six movies. The original is a lean 80 minutes and doesn't waste any time, but I forgot how batshit crazy the sequels get. It's quite jarring to see movies with that level of sleaze, gore, nudity, and un-PCness with the fancy 20th Century Fox studio logo before it. These movies are probably among the last of their kind, and not because Fox dissolved, but because I can't imagine a major studio making something so unapologetically sleazy ever again.

I wasn't a big fan of 3 or 6 when I originally saw them, but I thoroughly enjoyed them all this time around. Surprisingly, I didn't think 2 held up as well as the others, which I believe tends to be the fan favorite? 4 is easily the best of the sequels by far.

Looking forward to the new one this week. For those here who enjoyed it, make sure you buy it as well. It's only $15, and they're not going to make more if everyone steals it.

13. CPT HOOK

Now available legally:

IMG_20210223_141958.jpg

Only $14.96 at the Billy-Mart.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's out here in the UK in April. I'll purchase mine then.

Steel76 likes this.
  15. CPT HOOK

I didn't dislike the movie, but I do think it's my least favorite of the franchise. The original is a chase movie that never stops moving, and while the sequels lean heavily into the trashy slasher route, they do maintain that momentum. The pacing here was a big sluggish, stop start stop start, and I found myself losing interest around the 40 minute mark when
    the survivors are held captive and put on trial.
    Tonally, that chunk of the movie felt very much like those boring post-Hostel tied-to-a-chair torture movies, even if the characters aren't literally tied to chairs.

I have to say, I was really digging the social commentary of the first-half, with
    the Tucker & Dale-ish concept that these supposedly "woke" liberal 20-somethings roll into this small town, and it's their own prejudices that wind up being their downfall. Sure, it's been done before, but it's a cool concept that they were actually doing pretty well up to a point. Then, the movie contradicts this idea as it goes along by making it very clear The Foundation would have killed these young people regardless, and then very sloppily tries to reassert this concept in a different way by saying "but wait, you misjudged these yellow-eyed townsfolk as well!"
    It's kind of a mess. Well, not kind of: it is a mess.

The epilogue here is also a tonal mess, where the movie had taken itself aggressively seriously for 1 hr 40 mins, then goes into this silliness where
    the lead goes meta and references that her brothers want to watch some silly backwoods cannibal movie, followed by a dream action sequence set in a suburban dining room?
    Did I mention this movie is nearly 2 hours long! Like the young people in this movie, the filmmakers should have stuck to the path and kept it around 90 minutes.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. CPT HOOK

Oh, and I forgot to mention, having just revisited all the films, I wonder if they realize that Wrong Turn 6: Last Resort also has the whole colony living in the woods and trying to preserve a pure bloodline thing going on in it as well?

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Watched the film by way of *****. :cool:

Ok, so it was decent as far a thriller/horror movie. I liked the serious tone, which was set by Matthew Modine imo. If he wasn't in it, who knows how they would have handled it.

The bar scene. We've seen that a hundred times before. But here it was a slight different approach. In the past, we've seen the quite, yes sir we don't want no trouble. and the fight back response too. Here we got the condescending college kids approach(what they do in real btw in most situations). That would have gotten your ass beat in any bar in any town in any state. So props for bringing the reality to screen.

Most hated part:
    When Modine(Father) paid and got "help" from two supposedly equipped and knowledgeable townsfolk. Only to be offed in seconds. That was terrible beyond belief. Why were they even there? Oh, that's right, a way to get a gun in the fathers hand. Who wrote that crap.

Another odd part:
    So this colony locked away from civilization. And yet they keep a barn(whatever) filled with all the peoples belonging they killed out beyond their gates so anybody could stumble upon it. Nice.

One more:
    Going on the locked away from civilization, speaking a different language, growing their own food and hunting for dinner, etc...theme. But yet they go to town and sell stuff on the side of the road for money. Which they don't need. Nice. Oh, and they drive vehicles too. Nice. And apparently can find where people live... using the internet I would guess. Nice.

The characters in the film, yep all the boxes checked. Got one of each. From the children to the college kids to the towns folks to the parent to the bad guys. Covered all the basis. Can't leave anybody out you know, it's 2021. :rolleyes: If you paid each one they wouldn't sit in the same rooms with each other let alone go hiking together in a remote area. Ha. But seriously folks...

Bottom line. This was not a Wrong Turn movie. Sure, one could say the characters took a "wrong turn". But no. Don't fool yourself. It's nothing like ANY of the original and it's sequels. Alan McElroy must have had a brain transplant. What was he thinking? This movie was more like The Village.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Had the same exact thought about the town trackers. They seemed like they really knew those woods well :rolleyes:

baggio likes this.
  19. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

This is on demand now for me. But the others aren't yet. Maybe I'll start with this one. But I kind of wanted to start at the beginning. We'll see what happens. I saw a scene with the characters near a waterfall or mountain type structure in the forest and it looked interesting. There was a pretty blonde girl in the group. So I might just watch it soon.

20. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

You can totally watch this new one at any given point......no real connection to any of the preceding entries. It's probably the 2nd best next to the original.