World War Z movie

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffco, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Number Six

Number Six I am not a number...

I'll bite.

There are three distinctly bad CG shots in that trailer:

1:19) When the horde of zombies is climbing over the bus. They look more like a literal wave than a figurative one.

1:55) The zombies coming down the stairs/alleyway. Again, it looks closer to what one would see after a dam had been blown out than a mass of solid beings.

2:10) The zombies climbing over eachother to get over the wall. Arguably, the worst offender.

In all three of these blatantly CGI shots, none of the creatures appear to have a skeleton to speak of. I can't stress enough how much each of the three shots I pointed out look too fluid; like, "zombie-shaped water is chasing people" instead of "recently-deceased people are chasing people." (I hope that makes sense.) I'd say "Maybe it's just me...," but clearly it isn't. Others have stated how bad it looks, so I know I'm not alone in how I feel. I just hope I've clearly articulated the "why".

2. Criswell

Criswell New Member

I literally just read the book last week then 2 days later saw the trailer. Dear Lord it looks horrid and guys....NOTHING like the book. The Zombies are attacking as a semi organised group not a mob. Are they intelligent too? And why the I am Legend style super strength?

In fact the trailer starts out like an Alien Invasion film then becomes an Arnie, Willis hero film. Ugh....

And the Pyramid attack........... Exact replica of the Compound attack in Starship Troopers! In fact they do remind one of attacking ants.

I guess the biggest question is why buy a book and not film it at all??? Just to steal the Title?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Yeah I get that. But I think it's an obvious artistic choice. Something similar to what you see in the Left 4 Dead video games after you get puked on. It's plays off the unescapable mass like the blob only this is more like a swarm of insects. I guess I find that the zombie thing has been covered extensively enough that I don't mind a different take on it, and I don't think it looks as bad as some peeps are finding it. Also, it's cool to see the city from the beginning getting trashed. Far too often we only get the aftermath shot of a destroyed city.

Just watch it one more time, please:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7-Tc4rrls&feature=player_embedded#

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'll probably check this out when it hits Blu but I'm definitely not excited to see it in theatres anymore. The CGI zombies look terrible, like a swarm of bugs. Reminds me of the mess that the zombie/ vampires were in I Am Legend where they weren't scary at all because they just looked like video game characters. Why can't modern films just get a great make up effects artist to do up a crap load of extras up and have them be the zombies? It would make them a hell of a lot scarier, and the scenes would be a lot more effective. I Am Legend was originally going to be people in make up, what a shame as they looked much better. The Thing remake, same thing, bad CGI ruined what could have been great effects scenes. And I Agree with what others are saying, if I didn't know this was a movie about a zombie outbreak I never would have guessed.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I don't like the "swarm of bugs" effect either. It's a shame because I actually liked the first part of the trailer.

I'm not one of these people who cares if something is like the book, but it seems like they're going about this the wrong way.

6. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Finally just checked out the trailer. I guess you guys got my expectations really low, because I didn't think it looked all that bad. I would obviously refrain from final judgement on the quality of the CGI until it actually gets released to theaters.

As far as the storyline not being from the novel, that was kinda what I was expecting anyways. It's been quite a while since I read the book, but I don't remember there being a main character with an arc to follow. I don't remember much of the details from the novel though- I thought it was a bit plodding.

7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

No current discussion of this? Am I the only one who saw it? I thought it was a lot of fun, though you can tell they made cuts to edit out most of the gore. And since it's Brad Pitt they try to go for a more "serious" tone, like "Contagion". I'm not a huge zombie genre fan so I'm sure others will have legitimate criticisms and the PG-13 complaints are warranted. It could be scarier and more intense. But the group I saw it with all enjoyed it and the packed audience applauded at the end. Definitely worth a look. Hopefully the Bluray will restore the gore.

8. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

How bad was the shaky cam? Marc Foster apparently hasn't outgrown his ADD. The main reason I hated Quantum of Solace was the crazy fucking editing. Enough already.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I LOVED IT!! It wasn't the book, which I loved too, but damn was it a cool film! You definitely had to suspend your disbelief a lot, but it's a summer film! Definitely Blu-Ray purchase!!

10. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

There are some shaky cam moments as zombies chase the living through tight corridors and up narrow staircases but it didn't bother me. It's mostly in the early scenes before the characters know what's going on to emphasize the chaos happening right around them. Truthfully, I was more conscious of all the "epic" widescreen shots of zombie masses and cities in ruin. You don't see that much in zombie stories, another clue they didn't want to sell this as just a horror movie. A huge chunk of budget was spent on aerial filming.

I slept through most of "Quantum of Solace" so I can't really compare, though. :eek:

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Just got back from seeing this. A solid three stars out of five. They get kudos for bringing it in at just under two hours and resisting the summer blockbuster trend of stretching every movie out to two and a half hours or more, and for not letting that many plot holes get by with the rewritings and reshootings. Good in many parts, average in many others. My major complaint is the obsession with speed that is taken to its logical extreme by having the victims turn in fifteen seconds after being bitten. I'm not asking for them to copy the novel's approach, where someone could incubate the virus for weeks before dying, or even for a good old Romero three days. Just do what the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake did and give people four or five hours. I know that they imply the earlier forms of the virus took up to ten minutes to work, but even that is too fast. It actually makes a global pandemic less likely in some ways, because the faster the virus works the harder it is for someone to accidentally carry it with them on an airplane and the quicker it will be obvious to the authorities that something is wrong.

Anyways, I know somebody at Paramount, they didn't work on this film but they told me that the company water cooler gossip put the final price tag at $207 million and some change, but it was unclear if that included just the shooting, re-shooting and post-production or if they were including the promotional and distribution expenses as well. But a lot of money either way. With that unofficial figure in mind, I almost want to use the metaphor of buying a new car and paying full sticker price for it. Yeah it might be a good car, but you still got ripped off.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

So glad I was not the only one.

13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the film. It did slow down during a few scenes but overall well worth viewing.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I thought it was a decent film. I think I liked the last section of the movie better than the first.

From the
    plane escape scene to the end of the movie

The slower paced storytelling / zombie encounters in the last section was more of my liking. Anybody else agree? BTW I never read the book or any background prior to the movie.

15. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

So do you peeps think this will get a sequel?

16. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Anyone here seen the movie AND read the book? I read the book, but haven't seen the movie and judging from the trailers I've seen, it looks NOTHING like the book.

17. j tea

j tea New Member

The slower paced storytelling / zombie encounters in the last section was more of my liking. Anybody else agree? BTW I never read the book or any background prior to the movie.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I felt like it could have used a bit more of a dramatic boost at the end with some action. It went to the 'this is what ended up happening' voice over too quickly.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Paramount has already green lighted a sequel.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes, that did get brushed over too quickly. I wish the whole movie setting was in the lab. Obviously then it wouldn't be called World War Z, but how they handled those scenes was more to my liking.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

DTV? Why would they do that? No way this is going to make a profit. Maybe after a few years on video, but certainly not quick enough to justify a sequel.

I don't think I'll ever understand Hollywood.