Wolf Creek

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, May 23, 2005.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Disturbing is ok to a degree. Devil's Rejects had a "hard-to-watch" scene, but they didn't dwell on it even in the director's cut. Also, by no means was it the film's quarterback.

Actually it really doesn't matter if the actors are into it or not. It's the sentiment. Let me put it too you another way. Let's say you get a pink bunny suit for christmas instead of the BB gun you wanted. Are you not offended that your mom doesn't know you at all? Likewise, the filmmakers here think that seeing scenes like that are what I want out of a horror number. They made those scenes the climactic points of the film and therefore in my mind have pinned me as some sick fuck who gets off on that sort of thing or even as some sick fuck who enjoys being disgusted by that sort of thing.

Good points by the way kyoki!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

But that is what I mean. The Director made it the climactic point because he knows that there are many fans that view it the way I do. Unless your calling me a sick fuck.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

:rolleyes: :lol: never mind Ash...

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Is there another way I should have taken that? Because It sounded like that's what you where saying. Anyway I didn't think the director dwelled on it at all. I found the scene in the devil's rejects to be more disturbing then in this film. It was allot more sexual and degrading. In Wolf creek the on screen abuse more verbal then physical.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I told you that's how I felt about it. My fiance liked this movie as well, so don't take what I said personal.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Fair enough. Oh by the way so I guess your sleeping with one eye open beside your fiance tonight:)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

waaaaay ahead of you ;)

8. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Before I order this, Anyone find out yet if the UK DVD is cut or not? It was released on Monday.

10. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

Nah I haven't. Been looking for dvd reviews pretty much every day, but can't find any that are worthwhile yet. Anyone seen any around?

I noticed at EzyDVD they have 'Lost Highway' released by the same company and on the same day as Wolf Creek - but Lost Highway says 2-disc, and with no extras in the info like Wolf Creek. Often EzyDVD don't have all the details at first, but they will often still have "2-disc edition" or whatever. So the Oz one may not be 2 discs. I only got a email today saying it was available for pre-order, so hopefully it's just too early for all the info.
    Here's Lost Highway...
    http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/785558

Hey yeah, if anyone's going for the UK one, cd-wow are selling it. I've used them a few times and recommend them - free postage worldwide. I think the US site is www.cd-wow.us (cd-wow.biz for Aussies)

11. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

Ignore what I said above. The Roadshow website says the Aussie version is 2 dvds...
    http://www.village.com.au/home/
    (you have to do a search for Wolf Creek to find it)

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The only hint I have found is on this web site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2006/01/11/wolf_creek_2006_dvd_review.shtml

"Only one of three deleted scenes is worth watching, but not while you're eating your lunch. It features Liz (Cassandra) stumbling upon the killer's lair and climbing into a well littered with human remains"

That sounds like a pretty cool scene. I wonder if they will release an unrated version.

13. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

Cool - that's a lot more than I'd seen about it.

You can download that deleted scene from here if you want (hopefully it's still working).
    http://killeroutback.com.au/wp-content/themes/awesomeness/video/wolf creek delet352x288001.mov
    It's probably not as good as it sounds though I thought.

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Thanks for the link, it was cool to see that.
    My GF just asked if it ties the whole movie together and makes it make sense. :lol:
    You can just click the link and watch it like I just did. Don't think I'll bother downloading or ordering this dvd.

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

well, for those who want the DVD, it's out now as a 2-DVD set in the UK:

Edition Details:
    • Region 2 encoding (Europe, Japan, South Africa and the Middle East including Egypt). Read more about DVD formats.
    • Box set, PAL
    • Number of discs: 2
    • ASIN: B000BTJ434

DVD Features:
    • Special Feature Information:
    ° Commentary From Director Greg McLean And Producer Matt Hearn And Cast Members Cassandra Magrath And Kestie Morassi
    ° Meet Mick Taylor An Interview With John Jarratt
    ° Behind The Scenes Footage
    ° Trailers
    ° TV Spots
    • Main Language: English

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I personally really enjoyed the first part of the movie. Sure it started off slow, but unlike a lot of newer horror movies doing this of late, they basically used the time to make the audience feel their ever growing state of isolation and vulnerability in the outback. I thought there was a strong sense of tension in the earlier scenes. I almost hurt for them, knowing what they were getting themselves into. Despite an out of place farting and burping interlude (WTF was that??), I was thinking this movie was great until...

the torturing started, causing a massive explosion of lameness. This part sucked so much I went from being completely engrossed in the movie to wanting to just turn it off and see what was on TV Land. For one, the movie was building more like Picnic at Hanging Rock, so when it turns into an exploitation film, it pretty much wasted the earlier, deliberate parts of the movie. They just don't belong together. At all. Also, they had the character of Mick, who was supposed to be a real bad guy here, turn all wannabe slasher funny bad guy on us with his laugh and Crypt Keeper like lines such "We were great together...until she lost her head." Lines like that kept coming too.
    That might work in some movies, but in this one, they really, really didn't. It just threw the whole damn thing off for me. In almost every scene he was in after that, I was rolling my eyes and fighting the urge to turn the damn movie off.

I was still somewhat involved in the movie though,
    especially the stretch of the movie involving the murder of the second girl. The sniper bit was very effective to me, as it wasn't over the top and he wasn't talking too much.
    I would have been more involved in the rest had the bad guy been dialed way back though. For instance, the scariest scene in the movie to me was not the few scenes of excessive violence but
    when the wanna be hero watched the video footage of the family who had apparently fallen prey to Mick before they did. It didn't show any violence, but that broke my heart and I felt so sad for that family who had just walked into that trap. I mean, they had a little girl damn it! How horrible.
    Yes, I know they were just actors, that's beside the point. When I watched it, it seemed real to me and it made me just so sad. Of course, the fact that they had this great part
    in the midst of a breathtakingly stupid escape attempt was not lost on me. The movie was so hit and miss. Honestly, what was that girl doing? Hurry your ass for god's sake. I mean, I appreciate the fact that they didn't have her turn into an action hero and save the day with a Frankenstein pen like the lead in recent and far, far worse movie, but she still could have had a least seemed to be in a hurry.

**Rereads post** This thing is all over the place - kind of like the movie was. I thought it was good in parts, but really bad in others. I think I need a few days to see what sticks with me the most - the moments where the movie worked or the moments where it just fell flat on its face, threatening to destroy everything in its path.

On the upside, the movie did inspire me to go get a book on Ivan Milat and I am finding that story very interesting and very, very scary. I didn't know anything about this killer before this movie, so I am grateful that I now have him to study. What a horrible creature he was.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  17. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

Which book are you reading? I wouldn't mind reading up on him more myself. I've heard 'Sins of the Brother' is pretty good.

You might find this interesting as a bit of a follow-up after the book.
    There's very good Aussie tv show called 'Australian Story' which sort of has about the life stories of both well known and little known Australian's, but through using inteviews with them (for example, a recent one was about a car crash years ago where quite a few people died which interviews families left behind now years later. Or another recent one was about John Jarratt from Wolf Creek). But anyway, they won a Logie award (I guess the eqivalent to an Emmy) for a 2 part episode on Ivan Milat in 2004 where they interview some of his brothers Boris, Bill & Richard, sister-in-laws Caroline, and Rhonda, a Police Invetigator, and have phone recordings of Milat. They did a follow up last year too. I wish I'd seen them all, but I only saw the follow up unfortunately, which was very interesting. I didn't start watching Aus Story til last year, but it's the best Aussie TV show I think (except for John Safran's shows :))

The website has transcripts of all three shows (see link at bottom of each page)...

Into the Forest - Part 1 01/11/2004
    http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2004/s1232032.htm

Into the Forest - Part 2 08/11/2004
    http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2004/s1236866.htm

Back Into the Forest 30/05/2005
    http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2005/s1378393.htm

Here's the John Jarratt episode too if your interested. Has a bit about Wolf Creek in it. The episode was screened a couple of weeks prior to WC opening in Australia.

Wolf at the Door 24/10/2005
    http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2005/s1487223.htm

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I may try to read that one next, if I can find it. I did get Milat - The Full Horror of the Backpacker Murders by Roger Maynard, and I am just now realizing that I got really lucky finding that at the used bookstore. It's a very good read thus far.

And thanks for the links. There's fascinating stuff in there. It's odd, his family talking on the subject so matter of factly. Very interesting. I think that, even if the movie disappointed, it did trigger a real interest with this case. I kind of want to know everything about it now.

19. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's not cut. I might just go ahead and order it.