Will you stop buying DVDs to upgrade to Blu Ray or HD DVD?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by wago70, Jun 19, 2007.

?

Will you upgrade EVERY DVD in your collection?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2007.
  1. No! The collection stops here.

53.6%
  2. Maybe. If Transfers are improved upon and prices reduce.

21.4%
  3. Yes, but only if Horror/Cult films are given as much respect as Mainstream films.

14.3%
  4. Yes! If Transfers and Special Features are improved, I want the best quality possible!

10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'd hate to see DVD go way of the Laserdisc, but that is the game of new media.
    If your collection is made obsolete, will you replace EVERY DVD in your collection with a higher quality version?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

No, only the cream of the crop that I get extreme replay from. That's maybe 10 discs out of 700 or so.

Off the top of my head, the movies that I would without question rebuy in HD if I owned a player:

PHANTASM
    THE FOG
    HALLOWEEN
    PRINCE OF DARKNESS
    THE THING

(yeah, I kind of have a thing for Carpenter. :))

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree with maybrick. I have updated only the films to Blu-Ray & HD DVD that I really love.

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Well, probably not every title, but there will be a point when the prices are so low that I will upgrade most of them.

I'm curious to see where we will go in terms of downloading our films vs owning hard copies of them. There is development on a chip now that can download an entire two hour film, in high definition, in one second. When such technology becomes readily available and affordable, I could see downloading films/shows as the norm, rather than the exception.

I still think that there's something about having the packaging and all the extras that come with a traditional dvd purchase though. Perhaps we will get to a point where one can download a film, burn it to disc if they so desire (as a disc won't be a requirement at that point), and then download and print optional liner notes, cover art, etc etc. Specialty boxsets could still be ordered and shipped on a as-needed basis. The money saved from studios avoiding the big dvd pressings would be huge and, if the studios really consider all their options in catering to the niche markets, the potential for additional movie-related item sales would be mind boggling.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Consider me old school: I will NEVER give up on packaging! To me, it's part of the charm of collecting. Without it, I may as well rent (which is what it would amount to anyways since the studio disclaimers on downloads make it very clear that you're not actually "buying" the movie so much as acquiring a license to view the movie which can be revoked at any time).

6. reddye5

reddye5 Member

I work in dvd authoring dealing with a few of the large studios, and we just moved into authoring HDDVD. Not even Blue Ray yet. From what I've seen and been exposed to, the studios just want to milk the public for as much money as possible. They don't super care about the quality of the transfers, and REALLY don't care about any extra extras.

My vote: F' em!:fuck:

SDDVD is good enough for me. Hell, I like the grain of a lot of the SD transfers. I project them at 100" also. In my opinion SD is plenty good enough.

I own over 600 SD DVDs and would more be willing to double dip from a weak SD first release to a strong SD special edition then to make the jump to HD.
    Also, as HD catches more fire (if it does;) ) it may continue to push SD disc costs lower and lower. I can't turn down $5 discs, man. I just can't. And that is where SD might be heading.

Looking waaay down the line, maybe when HD drops to bargain basement prices I'll grab a few of the choice titles. Until then I will keep buying SD and enjoying every second of it!

Also, I'm with maybrick, I will NEVER give up on the packaging. Without it would be like having a movie released to the theaters without a poster to go along with it. It just isn't right! They'll peel my dvd packaging out of my cold dead hand!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  7. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I am on point with you guys. The packaging is essential!

I always thought it would be cool, and any dvd companies out there feel free to steal this idea right now, if genre dvd releases came out in the giant LP-sized laserdisc covers of old! Obviously, there would be a choice between the standard packaging and the giant covers, but how many of you would pass up nice ginormous cover art and gatefold jackets for your favorite movies and shows? I'm thinking not many.

8. rp108

rp108 Guest

I would't upgrade EVERY title I own on DVD but a good amount of them. I upgraded The Thing, Army of Darkness, and Land of the Dead to HD DVD and was floored by how good the quality was. I am sorry but upscaling is not as good.

For those who are waiting are smart though, it looks like HD DVD is done for and Blu-Ray will be the winner. For us horror fans, Starz has announced they are Blu-Ray exclusive.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...es_Blu-ray_Support_with_Masters_of_Horror/709

I am switching sides immediatley. I am dumping my HD DVDs (thankfully I kept most of the DVDs) and jumping on the BR side especially because of the Starz announcement.

But trust me, once you see The Thing in 1080p, remastered or Land of the Dead, you will not want to go back to DVD.

Edit: Over reacted completley to the Starz announcement. I am not dumping HD DVD, not that anyone cares. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  9. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I'm not upgrading any movies I have on dvd, it's just another plot by the movie studios to get you to buy their crap one more time, as soon as you buy their HD DVD, they'll want to sell you a Super HD DVD or something. I will however buy films I don't own in HD DVD or Blueray when the players get cheap enough, just can't see upgrading anything I already have. Actually I just rent from netflix anymore, so I won't be buying anything regular DVD"s or HD DVD

10. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

The way i see it, take a look at a random selection of maybe 100 of your dvds.. are they all perfect dvd transfers? no. Do they all have good sources available? no.

I will stop buying dvds that will clearly benefit from being released on blu-ray or hd-dvd but i will continue to purchase budget dvd titles that will look like ass anyway. blu ray and hd-dvd players will always be backwards compatible with dvd so i won't have issues in the future in terms of having a player to play them on.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If I do eventually upgrade, which won't be too soon, it will only be a limited amount of titles. I'm just not very interested in HD-DVD and BluRay.

12. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

DVD's are good enough , reading reviews of the few titles i might be interested in ( american werewolf in london , american psycho) don't sound very tempting , maybe newer titles, either that or buy four or five dvd players if they ever become obsolete, something I don't see happening in the near or distant future. The only titles I want upgraded don't have good enough masters or prints available anyway.

13. I'm not a hardcore AV guy. I don't like bad prints, obviously, but a stellar image isn't worth that much more than a pretty good image to me. HD is something I'd like to get into but definitely not something I need or plan on getting into anytime soon, and when I do make the jump I doubt I'll worry much about replacing what I already have.

As far as packaging goes, I like it but at the same time I don't like trying to make space for all of this extra stuff, especially when I've read the liner notes for any given movie maybe twice (and most of my movies don't come with liner notes except for a table of contents anyway). I could see going package-free in the future.

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I like this. What's funny about my collection is that when I got my widescreen TV (which is freaking out 2 years on and trying to change aspect ratio on me by itself) and high end cables, the movies most watched in my collection are those full screen transfers from Sinema Diablo, Retromedia and older Image titles. I doubt my favs will make it to BluRay before 10 years. For my mainstream studio DVD's (Friday the 13th, ect) - if they aren't uncut or absolute pristine, I'm not buying them again. In fact, my Anchor Bay collection (Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead, ect.) will not be upgraded, either.
    I'll choose a select handful only. If DVD's are no longer playable in the newer machines that come out in the future, then I say :fuck: because I'm not buying anymore.

15. Katatonia

16. rp108

rp108 Guest

The players are cheap enough. You can get a Toshiba A2 for $199! The upscaling is great in these machines and I always say this in my posts but...The Thing in 1080p :eek1: :D

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

18. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I simply do not have the money to upgrade, so i don't have to worry about it...even if i did, i wouldn't...shit, i still watch my movies on a 24 inch SD TV and i'm just fine with that.

HD can suck my balls!

19. Reverenddave

Reverenddave Member

Upgrading from VHS to DVD was a no-brainer. Even in the early days when only a few studios were making a handful of titles. It was a huge leap in quality. The difference in video and audio was amazing. And the DVD movies were in widescreen, unlike VHS.

Over time DVD got even better. The prices dropped significantly. Special editions and extra features became the norm. Studios dug deep into their catalogs for obscure titles. Box Sets allowed for an entire TV season in a tiny affordable package. This is a golden age for movie collectors.

Making the jump from DVD to HD/BluRay, is not that impressive. I have a large HDTV, and I watch HD movies/TV all the time. Other than a higher resolution, I don't see any benefits that I don't get with regular DVD. They'll need to come up with something much better before I toss the DVD collection.

So I'm not anxious to jump into HD/BluRay. Eventually, I'll probably get a player. Perhaps after there's a clear-cut winner in the format war. And when it comes to new release Hollywood special-effects blockbusters, I'll probably choose the High Def discs. But I'm happy with my DVDs.

20. Katatonia