Who directed POLTERGEIST?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Apr 20, 2004.

?

vote

1. Steven Spielberg

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Tobe Hooper

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Both

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. Franco

Franco Weekender

Yeah, guess so. Like Marquand as Director and it was really someone else or something similar to this. Can't really recall, even more ... in this condition. ;):eek:

2. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Technically it's Tobe Hooper's film so he gets my vote. Still it does have Speilberg's stamp of approval on it.

3. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

I was once sitting in Gunnar Hanson's living room (!) and he told me that while directing Poltergeist, Hooper was too messed up with drugs and Speilberg had to take over. Really:eek1:

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

What were you doing in Gunnar Hanson's living room?

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What would Gunnar Hanson know about Poltergeist? I've never heard anything about him being on set.

6. 3invertednines

Just hangin' out. Found out he lived about an hour away, got his phone number and went for a visit. Very nice guy.

Probably not much. I would think he was familiar with Tobe Hooper though. Leatherface doesn't lie; just speaks the occasional false-truth :D

7. Spit

Spit Active Member

Wait...you just called up Gunnar Hanson out of the blue one day and he said something like "I love you leather" and he was like "Well why don't you come over" and then you just hung out with leatherface?!? No sexual favors? no nothing? wow....

8. 3invertednines

The TV station I used to work for was doing a story about him, he was making a documentary about a local native american tribe I think. The station borrowed his copy of TCM to grab some footage from. I got his phone number from the reporter, called him up and told him I would personally return his movie for him.
    He gave me directions to his house and when I got there he surprised me by inviting me in to hang out. We shot the shit for about 45 mins and it was way cool!

Sorry to hijack the thread with Gunnar Love. Sexual favors would've been a better story :)

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Honestly, that Gunnar Hansen story sounds completely believable to me. Met him at a Fangoria con, and he's right up there with Reggie Bannister in the category of will-hang-out-and-shoot-the-shit-with-you.

Of course, I've heard Heather Langencamp is a real you-know-what in real life, but she was totally cool when I met her. So you never know.

10. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

Hooper started out as director of the film but due to "creative differences" and other problems on the set, Spielberg effectively took over the reigns.

Due to the rules of the Director's Guild, Hooper's name couldn't be taken off of the project.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm not convinced Spielberg directed. The spit and polish on it is certainly Spielberg, but I can sense a lot of Hooper in it. It's especially like Salem's Lot. It looks like E.T. because they used a lot of the same staff/sets.

I think the big problem people have is that this film doesn't meld with the auteur theory. Spielberg was very influential, but that could be said of many producers like Carl Laemmle Jr., Val Lewton, Ray Harryhausen and Gene Roddenberry. Some argue that the Star Wars franchise lost its cinematic vision when Gary Kurtz left after Empire Strikes Back.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'd say both, though if I were Hooper, I'd want Spielberg to have the credit for this horrible movie.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

A joint effort, but not in the Cheech and Chong sense.

14. MrVess

MrVess Guest

The actors who did speak on the matter all seem to confirm that Spielberg directed pretty much everything, including directing the coked Hooper to the set every morning.