Walking Dead TV Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jun 2, 2010.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I guess if the ratings are there. But seriously, they need to put this entire series to rest imho. The entire show has been like a soap opera with zombies for many seasons now. Zombies is an afterthought. Unless that was their goal from day one, mission accomplished.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Basically like every fucking ”Horror” tv show these days...

baggio likes this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Zombies were never the focus of the comic series, it was human interaction. The difference is that the comics usually did it better and without all the overwrought melodrama.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I think that's been the jist of the show since the beginning--people are the focus because zombies don't have much personality.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

For those still watching, last night's episode had a great callback to zombie film history.

There was a pre-apocalypse flashback scene where Lucille (Negan's wife) got into her car. There was a news broadcast that mentioned people being attacked, but she switched the station and what song came on? "Partytime" by 45 Grave.

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I finally quit halfway through season 8. I'm very interested in Negan's backstory, but not quite enough to jump back in.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

For the most part it was a self-contained one-off episode, you could watch it by itself.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The longevity of this show is truly a mystery to me.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

As long as a TV show gets ratings, networks will run them into the ground long after any creative spark is gone. No mystery there at all.

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That is precisely the mystery though lol.

12. CPT HOOK

I'm two episodes behind, but the only reason I'm still watching is because I've come this far and the end is in sight. I've already ditched the spin-offs.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Warning, you're in for one of the worst episodes ever, and that's saying something. Daryl fixes his bike, Carole chases a rat. That's it. Whole episode. Delete it from your DVR now and just go to the Negan episode.

Zillamon51 likes this.
  14. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

They must have a LOT of combinations on their plot idea dart board.

Long ago I packed up all my blu-ray sets and sold them off, having given up in disgust at the rut of mediocrity the series had hit. Total scorch and burn walk away from the series. At that time, I was absolutely certain AMC would milk the damn show like the Simpsons until long after I was in the ground. With the spin-offs, I'm still convinced.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. CPT HOOK

I'm going to be contrarian and say that I really enjoyed the second to last episode. There was more going on than what was described. Also, Carol is the most fascinating character on the show, so if there's anyone they can get away with having chase a rat around and still be interesting, it's her. I thought it was much better than that tedious Breaking Bad episode where Bryan Cranston spends the entire hour chasing a fly around a meth lab. There were still zombies in this one. I wouldn't say this is the best the show has to offer, but it's far far far from the worst.

On the other hand, the over-hyped "Here's Negan" was pretty terrible. I did think there was an interesting concept of how do you treat someone with cancer during the zombie apocalypse, but that's pretty much where the compliments end. Morgan got his real life wife hired for the gig, and she's not very good. When they started playing Joe Cocker "You Are So Beautiful", it made me laugh out loud and eye-roll so hard I saw brain. This has to be one of the most embarrassing Walking Dead moments ever, and there have been some real humdingers over the years. To be honest, Negan's arrival in this series is the exact point where it started to nosedive, and this episode is a perfect example why. This episode is Walking Dead at its masturbatory worst.

16. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

My GF and I still really enjoy these shows. Are we the only ones? I agree, the Carol vs. rat episode was the definition of filler, but Negan's backstory was a great episode. JDM and his wife even made a great Talking Dead episode, too. (Yes, we even watch that.) I didn't care for the World Beyond spinoff, but I'll probably tough it out to see what is revealed about the mystery group that abducted Rick.