Walking Dead TV Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jun 2, 2010.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I think the cliffhanger we have is due to contract negotiations, and those will determine the character's fate. I don't think they want them off the show, but have left an out in case they have to be off.

I also think I answered that vague enough to not use spoilers! Great use of not committing to gender or nothing, maybe just a slight hint of popular. :)

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

There's still one more episode left in the season though (and it's a 90 minute one). In order for that to work, they would have to dodge the subject entirely for the season finale (and piss off a lot of fans in the process).

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Entertainment Weekly had a cover article/interviews about 5 weeks ago with cast members who have been there since season 1. Among the discussions was how some of the main cast had a hard time reading the script for this years season finale. It sounded more like the subject matter was difficult to act through, rather than a character dying ........... Aborted Zombie Baby maybe?.......

But yeah, someone is definitely getting their head bashed in with a barbed wire bat, main character or not.

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Zombie fetus...old.

Almost as old as expert back woods tracker Daryl continuing to walk into ambushes.

Also on the getting old meter, extended scenes of Carol going fake panic attack before performing the house wife Rambo shtick. How about just being aware enough and prepared enough to not get your pants pulled down around your ankles so that you need to pull the cleverly staged table turning?

Increasingly I find myself skimming through episodes, or watching them as background noise to other activities. I don't much care about the characters anymore, good or bad. The attempts at emotional engagement are increasingly falling flat. Consistency and logic casually making their exits like moths fluttering out an opened garage door. Scenes of suspense and surprise having all the foreshadowing and tidy resolution of a 70s drama series.

At a certain point every television series hits a stale point, where accumulated story baggage or wrung dry writers brains or audience comfort pandering deliver an unmistakable odor of "past the guaranteed fresh by date". Regardless of the amount of source material there may be left, I feel as a TV show this series has hit that mark. Maybe they'll turn things around, but I doubt it - I can't think of any TV series that managed to do so, with the explicit intent to continue on down a track of quality as opposed to simply wrap up on a high note. Instead I see two possibilities - the studio and creative staff recognize their state of funk and put in motion a plan to conclude the proceedings, or go on autopilot and continue to milk paydays from the dead cow until its teats finally fall off.

maybrick likes this.
  5. bigdaddyhorse

What would be so hard about reading the script to the finale? Waiting for the next script to know who dies?
    What a fucking waste of Negan's intro and a chicken-shit cliffhanger ending. I'm so pissed I don't even care who died! Fuck you writers, fuck you Gimple. I recently re-watched seasons 3-5 and man those had some good shit in em. This season is all bull-ass-shit! Seriously, a season finale and no one fucking dies (on screen), wait another half-year to find out they chickened out on taking Glenn out again?

In my theories, Glenn does have a chance of meeting Lucille, but my money's on Abraham. I swear on my mother's soul right now, if it's Aaron who got the bat, I will never watch the show again. Him being there fills me full of dread that they completely pussied out. There's about as much chance it's Daryl as I have of fucking Julia Roberts tonight (interesting to think, "if I could, would I?" Probably, got to keep it real). This season really sucked hard while jumping sharks and hiding under dunpsters. I only hope they can get back on track. I really don't know what I'll do when this comes out on blu. Other seasons have been day one buys, this one annoyed me so much I don't really want it, but will hate having a hole in the collection if it gets good again in season 7. Of course, I give it 60% chance I'm done cuz it's side character Aaron getting the Negan welcome. That will make an easy pass, and the series will have ended at the end of season 5 for me.

Don't know why I let myself get so hyped for the finale after such a lackluster season. I just expected them to go all out, maybe throw a surprise death or 2 in along with whoever Negan bashes. I got nothing of the sort and just more let down. Last chance WD, last chance. Daryl, Glenn or Abraham gets the bat or I get the fuck on!

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I can't even say that last night's finale was a cock tease, at best it was like giving the audience blue balls. They had all the pieces in place to give quite possibly one of the best season finales in the history of television and they threw it all under the bus to say "Fuck You, tune in in six months to see what happens next."

Blow me AMC.

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Yeah, there has been a lot of bad writing this season, but for some reason I've been more interested in it than the past couple. Go figure.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Anyone who didn't expect a season-ending cliffhanger must have just discovered TV. You do know that there's this invention called television, don't you, and on it they show shows? Well, shows end their season with a mystery. This mystery is called a cliffhanger. It's to keep people talking about the show, and tune in in the fall.

Take this to the bank: The season opener of The Walking Dead in October will shatter all ratings records for a non-broadcast show. Exactly what AMC is hoping for.

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

A cynical attitude about a cynical ploy, and dead certain totally correct.

I also think it is no coincidence they picked the middle of the airing of the episode the advertise the new series "Ride with Norman Reedus", just to crank the rumor mill of who got wacked even more (double wammy on this one, they showed the advert before revealing Daryl was still alive for now - making the audience initially wonder if he had been shot and latter if he got the bat).

My complaint isn't that any of this happened, because like this season's plots it was totally predictable, its that the quality of everything leading up to it (this episode and this season) was so lackluster that it leaves me with a terminal case of the "don't give a shit"s.

Strangely Jeffrey Dean Morgan's performance made Negan the only character other than Daryl (and that interest is down to gas tank fumes) that has perked my attention this season, and he was only on screen for a few minutes. And they'll probably off him by the end of the next season.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Aside from the obvious cop out/bullshit ending, seriously, TWO episodes back to back that end with CGI blood splattering the lens? They should have just had him kill Rick and end the series. We're well beyond the point of diminishing returns now.

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I enjoyed last night's finale. Didn't think it needed to be an hour and a half, but still thought it was cool.

Loved the Negan character. Bad ass. Who doesn't love a barb wire bat? Cmon.
    "Sucks, don't it – the moment you realize you don't know shit?"
    Who didn't dig that line?

Here's my prediction for the Lucille beating.
    No one died. Negan never said he was gonna kill anyone. He just said "I'm gonna beat the holy hell outta one of you."
    Based off that, it's gonna be someone big, like Rick or Darryl just to make everyone think they're dead.

See you next season!

12. bigdaddyhorse

This would also make me quit. When Negan showed up in the comics, it was the same set-up and proceeded to kill a long-time major, and fan favorite, character. That's what was so stunning about his introduction, and what was missed by the cliffhanger cop-out ending. Wouldn't it be more fun to be discussing how XXXX died so brutally for the next 6 months, than to speculate on who? Plus it's probably gonna leak before Season 7 starts, which will kill any sense of 'giving a fuck' for many. The only good thing about this season is Negan's gonna be cussing proper on the dvd/bd from what I've read, so no more "pee-pee pants"!

13. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

:D
    I definitely had a do a double take on that one.

14. bigdaddyhorse

Someone on blu-ray dot posted a page from the comic, and that line was taken directly from it. Double go figure! I am way behind on the comics so I haven't even got to Negan yet, but all I've heard seemed like he wouldn't say "pee-pee pants", yet he did.

15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I liked the ending (and the whole season for that matter). Probably because my enjoyment from the show doesn't hinge on characters, main or otherwise, dying. I'll be anxiously waiting for the new season to start, and not because I want to know who got the bat, but because I want more Negan !

Harry Warden likes this.
  16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Me too. Looking forward to next season and to Fear the Walking Dead starting again. Enjoy both shows a great deal. I do get invested in the characters and certainly have my favorites, but if they are on the chopping block, that's the way it goes. I do think they will start killing some more mainstream characters and I do understand the complaint of always seeing minor characters killed, but I think that will change. I don't read the comic so I am not familiar with the source material, but I do like the fact that they have changed it up a bit. I think Walking Dead is a good solid show and is by far my favorite on TV.

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Don't know how I missed this. Anyway it's pretty funny.

Workshed and Fistfuck like this.
  18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Who died in the comic book?

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Based on what the creators said on Taking Dead, it's the complete opposite.
    They specifically said that someone dies

So either they are lying or they are telling the truth AND their writing is garbage. Because the character in the show specifically said(more than once) exactly what you stated in your spoiler tags.

Also they said there is clues in how it was staged to who was the choice. Again, another lie? I really hate when these guys try to build up false excitement. Because imho in the group of choices there are plenty of "who cares" if they offed. Maybe 2 people I would care about.

And on the Negan character. I thought his introduction was pretty funny actually. Guess time will tell if I change my opinion of him.I didn't think that scene was tense at all. Actually the scene is kinda dumb actually. How they got caught, nobody is tied down, ok I'll just stay here and take it. The whole road blocking was dumb as hell too. Since when has this group ever back down from a fight? They literally took down an army of zombies in hand to hand combat a few weeks ago and now a few guys with guns they are scared of. Carol took out almost the same amount of guys herself in a road block.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Touche.

I really dont care if they diverge from the text, but I think that it is sad that most of the time when they do they drop the ball so badly. The wolf story (not in the books) was an interesting enough premise that they should have stretched it out the entire season, but they rushed it. Thats just one example where they wasted potential. Honestly, I don't know how the territories of the Saviors and Wolves could have overlapped with zero interaction with each other. The wolves should have either been wiped out by the saviors or there should have been a full on gang war already happening.