Walking Dead TV Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I don't have cable but I bought Season 1 on Amazon for $9.99 so I thought I'd give it a shot. Pretty good so far, but after all of the complaints here and from various friends, I'm not holding too much hope for the rest of the series.

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Don't get me wrong I love the series, you just get thouse moments when you question the logic, they do this long monologe about how life is precious & then in the same breath go do something really stupid & life threatening.

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Man...the first half of tonights episode was great...probably the most engrossing since the first episode.

And by the looks of some of next weeks clips, it looks like we'll be seeing the prison real soon....thank god, finally getting off the farm.

4. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

This was one of the better episodes, but yeah, I hope they're about done with the farm.

If these people were making the original Dead films they'd take three hours to get out of the TV station and get on the chopper.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's kind of the point of The Walking Dead, but yeah I agree that they do tend to drag needless things out forever on the TV series. There's been a marked improvement since about episode five of this series. It's plain to see that all the fears about Darabont leaving the series were exaggerated. If anything, it's helped. I used to be pretty "meh" about the show but now I can honestly say that I like it. It still isn't my favorite show on the air at the moment, but I've finally gotten to the point where I look forward to seeing the next ep. And that's good. :)

6. Chomp

Darabont's departure has definitely been for the better. I'm still scratching my head about the CDC episode as well has the gang run senior citizen living facility episode.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    You're not kidding! They seem like the stupidest group of people and it keeps getting worse. They aren't that dim witted in the comic!!

8. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed the past 2 episodes very much. I felt a real turning point 2 weeks ago when Shane and Lori talked leading into Lori telling Rick that Shane is dangerous. Then this past week I thought the tension between the men was well played. It seems to me that the farm living is at its end point and the group will be moving on towards the end of the season. Each episode is getting better in my opinion.

9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Really enjoyed the last two episodes and can't wait for the season finale. The ending to last nights show was crazy, hopefully this will get us off the farm now.

10. maybrick

Not sure what everybody has against the farm. Where exactly are they supposed to go? Do you guys want it to be like The Fugitive/The Hulk/Knight Rider/The A-Team/The Pretender where they go to a different town every week to help defend somebody from zombie attacks or something?

11. Ptflea2

Did you read any of the series or just seen the shows?

12. Chomp

There is barely any threat on the farm. The only threat that comes is when somebody decides to venture out and make a complete moron of themselves. Sure, it would be SMART of them to stay on the farm, but it makes for boring television.

The prison hopefully...but seeing the show's budget was cut, I'm not sure if that whole scenario is entirely feasible. But with the Governor being cast, maybe it's still in the cards? Either way, this Little House in the Zombie Apocalypse needs to end.

Week in and week out, I can just imagine seeing zombies lined up against that chain linked fence ala Day of the Dead constantly reminding the survivors of what still lies out there while they "live it up" in the prison. I loved seeing that backdrop in the comics.

The show is great now though....a complete 180 from where the second season started. Interactions between characters, the zombie carnage (I think they found the perfect mix), just everything seems a lot sharper and crisper; more polished. The moral duality theme was also such a great addition albeit a little on the dramatic side. But now that Shane and Dale are gone, I wonder if Rick is going to go off the deep end? The show is just a lot more entertaining. I actually look forward to watching it every Sunday, and I am especially pumped for next weeks finale...how badass was that disclaimer during the preview?

I still hate Lori and Carl though...Carl more so. I don't no whose job it is to write shit for this terrible kid actor, but I think they need to give it a rest. How is it that this kid is allowed to just wonder off unattended CONSTANTLY? In the comic, the children were watched at all times and there was a rotation of people who would be on babysitting duty...the kids were never left alone. Lori was practically attached at the hip with Carl. I understand Rick is off busy making decisions for the group and what have you, but what the hell is Lori doing while her kid is throwing rocks at zombies and finding glocks on motorcycles? Do the writers not understand how bad at parenting this makes Rick and Lori look?

All I ask for in Season 3....is less Carl, and more T-Dog...and bring back Merle, other than that, keep up the solid work.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. Ptflea2

Would love me some more Merle!

14. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Well, if it was more like 'The Equalizer', or at least 'Burn Notice', I'd watch it.

Of course no one on the cast can stand up to even the shadow of Edward Woodward, so fat chance they'd pull it off even if they tried.

15. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Loved the last episode, except for one thing.... Rick & Shane walked for what seemed like miles through the woods to have their stand-off in and open field that was just a few hundred yards away and in plain sight of the farmhouse....

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Yeah, that was Shane's grand plan? And Carl just walks around unattended? Great parenting. The zombie action on this show is excellent, but everything else is pretty eye-rolling when you stop to mull it over.

Carl's
    single gunshot brought on an army of the undead, when everyone has been driving cars, yelling, and--oh yeah--firing guns for months?

I have a good time watching this show and agree that it's gotten better from last season, but it's pretty convenient most of the time.

17. maybrick

I read the entire thing. I'm disappointed as anybody that that got to the farm so fast and they spent the first half of the season looking for the little girl, but they've clearly decided so far to keep each season a rough equivalent of each volume of the comic. The Farm was the storyline for the full second half of Volume 2, and the prison wasn't until Volume 3-8. You want them to get to the prison, Chomp? Seriously? And people accuse the producers of cutting corners on the budget, now. Sure, it was a great storyline in the comic but once they're there, they're there for a looooong time.

I also thought it was weird that Shane waited so long to do anything (not so sure it was in clear site of the farmhouse though. It's a big property), but that shows that he was having second thoughts and a hard time doing what he wanted to do. It also made it easy for Rick to get the drop on him. Shane didn't fully commit himself, and yet he did because Rick did what needed to be done at that point. Shane crossed the line and if he didn't get up the nerve to kill him then and there, it was inevitable that he would.

Also, the zombies were coming anyways because the swamp was drying up. Also, it's the end of the season. What else would you expect for a finale?

18. maybrick

For what it's worth, Carl is considerably older than the 7 year old that is in the comics. Maybe they've become a bit too comfortable from their surroundings, but for the most part the farm is safe. One has to wonder, though, are you a parent? From my experience, it's nigh impossible to watch a kid 24-7 once they reach a certain age. All total Carl probably wasn't pestering that zombie for longer than 15 minutes, and realistically he probably wasn't more than a 15 minute walk from the house. With the amount of people around watching each other's back I don't think that I'd be worrying myself to death if my daughter or son was out of my sight for less than an hour.

I do agree that it feels like they're trying too hard to make likeable characters from the books into complete dicks or just plain annoying. They did a great job with Glen, but I cannot stand Andrea at all. Lori and Carl I'm kind of meh on.

19. Chomp

Oh yeah, because they've been following the source material so close as it is, right?... why stop now? :rolleyes:

And no one's accusing the producers of anything. Its a fact the budget was cut before the second season even began shooting.

http://www.dailyblam.com/node/8735

Not sure if serious...

LoL, considerably by what, 2 years? You're telling me you'd let your 11 or 12 year old walk around unattended on a stranger's farm in the middle of a zombie apocalypse?

Sigh...I really hate over analyzing this stuff seeing as it is a fictional TV show, but I guess I'll do it anyways.

No, I'm not a parent, but I've babysat enough siblings and relatives to know that the second you turn your back on them, they are either crying or have damaged something. So it is essential you keep watch of them at all times...add zombies to the mix and its a matter of life and death. I mean seriously, what else is keeping Lori from watching her kid? Its not like she's working a desk job or taking trips to the mall or grocery store. There should be no distarctions keeping her from watching her child 24/7. She's pregnant for God's sake! There are enough people in the house to do the menial tasks so that she CAN watch Carl.

Nobody watches Carl...NOBODY! He's always sidling up unattended, whether its creepily staring at Randall in the barn, or rummaging through Daryl's personal belongings. I mean look what happened to Sophia when she went unattended? You'd think that and the days upon days searching for her would put some sense into Rick or Lori that Carl shouldn't just be off on his own. Don't you think?

Look, your number one objective during a zombie apocalypse or any apocalypse for that matter, is the survival and protection of yourself and your loved ones. You will stop at nothing to ensure their safety. That means watching your kids no matter how tedious it may be. The second you let your guard down it's a life in the bounty. I mean, you might as well just put a gun to his head and pull the trigger because there is no sense in putting his life and your life in danger if you aren't even going to keep watch over him.

20. maybrick

You're not a parent. That really says it all. "Oh when I'm a parent I'm NEVER going to let them watch TV or eat junk food." or yadda yadda yadda. People always think they know exactly how parents should behave (ie, like self sacrificing saints, apparently) until they become one themselves. I'm not blaming you for having this attitude, it just comes with the territory of being in your situation, I guess. It's easy to cast stones when you're not a target.

Really all I'm saying about Carl is at that age of prepubescence, he's going to find a way of getting out of view even in the midst of the end of the world. Lori has to sleep sometime, you know. (And again, I really don't think he was away for that long..)

And btw, Sophia wasn't left unattended. She got scared and ran off right in front of everybody. That wasn't anybody's fault but her own.