Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I don't understand myself: I bought some great items at VinSyn without regret but when it came time to order from Severin, I hesitated and emptied the cart. All I wanted
    was the 3 disc "House/Edge Park" and "Don't go in the House" but I wonder if I can get them elsewhere for a better price?

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Severin apparently botched the gamma levels on House on the Edge of the Park too. The black levels resemble their Wax Mask reissue: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=19602704&postcount=22516

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

And I bet Severin won't do anything about it, and we'll have to wait for a new Euro release instead.

How do they miss errors like this??

Katatonia likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Yeah, I don't see how you miss something that big during QC...or how the early reviews entirely missed it. The black levels should not look like that, no way no how: http://www.mondo-digital.com/houseonedge.html & http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/...ge-Of-The-Park-(Severin-Films)-Blu-ray-Review

Or if they do decide to correct it, they'll do something like this:

Replacement Disc #1: use the old Code Red master with scanner noise.
    Replacement Disc #2: use the new master, fix the gamma, but introduce a ton of macroblocking.
    Replacement Disc #3: silently release it with everything fixed, but ignore everyone when they ask how you can actually get it, short of re-buying the title.

Sarcasm aside, that honestly would not surprise me if something similar happened. They still owe me a V3 disc of The Changeling as far as I'm concerned.

But that's enough about Severin in this VS thread. No reason to stain it here. :p

Steel76 likes this.
  5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That's disappointing. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, though. I had this in my cart, but for now, I'm holding off.

Interestingly, the Synapse release of Thriller on DiabolikDVD is no longer available to pre-order. Instead, the listing has the 'join waitlist' function enabled. Regardless of what's going on behind the scenes, it's definitely a fiasco for Synapse.

As for the two surprise titles, I pre-ordered them back in September when VS had their flash pre-order. I think I was expecting something a bit different. Had I known what the two secret titles were in advance, I might not have pre-ordered. Both would have piqued my curiosity, particularly The Ebola Syndrome, but I'd probably have waited for the reviews.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Planning on getting Creature and Trauma after the site reopens in January when I have some extra $$$

Also still gonna get house on the edge of the park and don't go in the house in January from severin which I want more than the vinegar titles.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Considering Ebola has an 8K "limited" pressing it's pretty much guaranteed to be around till next years Black Friday sale where you can get it cheaper.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I never buy new releases during these sales, they're just too expensive. I'm looking forward to getting Flesh for Frankenstein eventually (although I wish it hadn't been a 4K release), and Trauma for sure, once it's a bit cheaper. This time I got:

Forgotten Gialli vol. 3 (still over 1000 in stock, but I would hate to miss out on it and not complete the set)
    The Corruption of Chris Miller
    Spookies (this was a last minute decision, but there were less than 40 left so i decided "what the hell?")

I also skipped on the Severin sale this time. In the last few years I've made a few large orders and picked up pretty much everything in their back catalogue that I wanted. There are a handful of new or recent releases that are still too expensive to get right now, like House on the Edge of the Park, or Blood for Dracula (again, I would have much preferred a blu ray only option, but I'll still probably get it).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Doesn’t seem like much is selling out very fast. I’m just grabbing The Lamp, Killers Delight and Rush Week Blu’s w/ slips and the slips only for Frightmare and Graduation Day.

I’ll wait until the next sale for the newer stuff which I’m sure will still be around - Creature, Shallow Grave to name a few.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Renewed my subscription, grabbed the two new VSAs (big Jalal Mehri fan and a huge fan of Tiger Claws, plus you get Rothrock, Bolo, and Blanks too!), the NYN, Slaughterhouse, and WNUF cassettes, Summer of Fear partner label, and the best surprise of sale - the Smut Without Smut: Satanic Horror Nite Blu-ray! Zebedy Colt's THE DEVIL INSIDE HER is one of the best of the Satanic storefront smut, and excited to see it in the mixtape smutless version (and uncut in HD)!

chancetx, russweiss and Katatonia like this.
  11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

And here's the tentative 2022 release schedule with a few more titles unveiled and confirmed (keep in mind, this is the VS branded release schedule only, does not include partner label or Peekarama release schedules):

January 2022:
    4 releases totaling $225.92 (MSRP)
    Including: DEAD HEAT (UHD/BD combo), CURFEW, MASTER OF THE WORLD and a Forgotten Gialli box set (featuring ARABELLA BLACK ANGEL and two more perverse treasures)

February 2022:
    3 releases $130.94 (MSRP)
    Including: HARD ROCK ZOMBIES, a supernatural horror/thriller, and a beloved piece of Universal Pictures financed weirdness

March 2022:
    3 releases totaling $135.94 (MSRP)
    Including: A UHD double feature and two more BDs

April 2022:
    3 releases totaling $135.94 (MSRP)
    Including: The UHD premier of an action packed, 80s exploitation classic and two more horror BDs

May 2022:
    5 releases totaling $230.90 (MSRP)
    Including: the worldwide UHD/Blu-ray debut of THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE, plus 1 other UHD, a BD double feature that we’ve been working on for years, and two other gems.
    (includes two Halfway to Black Friday surprise titles)

June 2022:
    No releases planned

July 2022:
    3 releases totaling $128.94 (MSRP)
    Including: 3 horror and exploitation BDs

August 2022:
    4 releases totaling $178.92 (MSRP)
    Including: A UHD debut of a 70s horror classic, SHIREK OF THE MUTILATED, and a duo of 80s sci-fi and action BDs

September 2022:
    4 releases totaling $225.92 (MSRP)
    Including: A UHD debut of a massive 70s horror hit, a Forgotten Gialli box set, and two more horror BDs

October 2022:
    4 releases totaling $232.92 (MSRP)
    Including: Home Grown Horrors Vol2 box set (featuring MOONSTALKER + two other gems), two UHD debuts of a duo of 80s creature horror classics, plus one more never-on-Blu horror film

November 2022:
    5 releases totaling $235.90 (MSRP)
    Including: Three horror (and horror adjacent) UHDs, including some never-on-disc titles + two additional Blus.
    (includes two Black Friday surprise titles)

December 2022:
    No releases planned

chancetx, zbinks, Steel76 and 4 others like this.
  12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

2 more forgotten gialli sets? nice.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Honestly, none of the four reveals were especially exciting to me (my subscription only obligated me to two of them). Lace could be fun though. VS did all the good reveals early like Flesh and Trauma, so it's still a solid month overall.

What did get me excited is the tease for next year. Dead Heat 4K, Homegrown Horrors Vol 2, Hard Rock Zombies, etc. Resubscribed, now I just have to sit back, relax, and wait.

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Dead Heat is a classic, and I’m psyched that they are releasing it in 4K glory. The opening scene during the bank robbery is so awesome!

“Kill this guy, would you?” Haha.

Katatonia and baggio like this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Couple of cool new titles, some I have zero interest in. Which seems to becoming a norm (for me personally) with VS. That being said, their presentation(slips) and restoration is still the best regardless if the film themselves aren't really good or not to my liking.

Ha. I just realized. If say 1,000 people buy their Yearly Plan 2022. They will have made almost 1 million dollars on that alone. Wow. Best part(for them) if you use the films as coasters. They still got your money. Ha

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Happy to see two more Forgotten Gialli sets, but I don't see another Televised Terror set in that announcement.

17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Well, grabbed a few things.

Summer of 84 4K
    Forgotten Gialli Vol. 3
    The Lamp
    Don't Answer The Phone Slip
    Graduation Day Slip

I love Summer of 84 and didn't really dig the BD-R version. Watching the Youtube review with screen comparisons basically sold me on picking this up even if not discounted. That review is here

Just a couple of other odds and ends as well. I will eventually pick up other titles like Trauma and Creature. Not really interested in anything Severin this time around.

~Rocker10

Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh yeah, my mini haul was
    Flesh for Frankenstein (had pre-ordered)
    Rush Week
    Best Friends
    Rudy Ray Moore Collection (box only)

Depending on how much I drop on Record Store Day today and tomorrow, I might come back for Televised Terror.

19. Katatonia

This is my haul, thus far:

2022 Yearly Subscription [Black Friday Exclusive] - $850
    Frightmare "Slipcover Only" - $7.99
    Don't Answer the Phone! "Slipcover Only" - $7.99
    Graduation Day "Slipcover Only" - $7.99
    The Films of Rudy Ray Moore - Box (empty) - $14.99
    Summer of Fear (w/ Slipcover) - $24.99

I already owned Summer of Fear, but just couldn't pass up the Slipcover... and it sold out of its 1,000 copies fast too. I'll just sell/trade off the sealed inside case and slip in my old Blu-ray. I wish VS would make a fraction of these partner Slips available by themselves for those who already own them. I wouldn't double dip for every title... but I love Summer of Fear and the Slip looks sweet.

I'll also pick up the new VSA releases before the sale ends, She-Freak, and maybe something else... but the Subscription renewal was the major purchase.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I did a VS order, I had: Rush Week, Whodunit, Cemetery of Terror, fade to black and Death promise, they worked out at around 15 quid each as added to other order. Decent price especially as some have slips.

I was gonna add Ticks but at 35 dollars you can fuck right off! Way to expensive.