Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I heard that about a month ago. For me I hope it's not true, I fucking hate the movie. Ow well, I'm sure I will at least break even if it is. Sealed with slipcase should get the coin.

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It's been 25 years since my only viewing of Ebola Syndrome so I really don't remember much about it. I do like Anthony Wong but for me whether the film is good or bad I would be happy that another Hong Kong film is getting released. There are so many entertaining films from HK and the vast majority of them have never been given a good release. Fortunately Eureka and 88 Films in England have been putting out several titles and my Criterion Once Upon a Time in China box set arrived today.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Is Ebola Sydrome the one where the lead runs around with a cleaver spitting on people?

not my jam.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Ow I'm happy for everything to get released, I just wish this wasn't being released as part of the pack that I've already paid money for. This is what you get when you blind buy but I was hoping for something I'd like, call me selfish!!! Like I said I should get the money back for it.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've never seen Ebola Syndrome and am curious enough to check it out, but as a subscriber would be incredibly disappointed if Hong Kong cinema became a regular thing. Not for me. So hopefully this is a one-time thing and not part of a bigger package of licensed movies.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I could be wrong about this (hope I am!), but I wouldn't expect VS to include a lot of Hong Kong films because their audience would then see how superior those films are to the cheezoid action crap that makes up a significant segment of their film library.

Steel76 and russweiss like this.
  7. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Im really looking forward to the Fred Halsted set. Was a big fan of him and Chris Rage as a teenager in the 80s (still have my vhs of A Night at Halsted's) and have the Duke University Press book about him which is on my coffee table.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Don't forget all of their horror/comedy titles. Plenty of those too.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I have my doubts they'd release a HK flix, but if they did it'd be a game changer as they do their own scans of original elements which is a rarity for HK films these days.

If VS starts pumping out Cat III films using 4k scans from original elements like there's no tomorrow I... I don't know... I'd probably be found dead a year from now after fatal TV exposure with Heroic Trio still stuck on repeat burning in my fully nuked Plasma.

Steel76 and russweiss like this.
  11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

If it's Ebola Syndrome, I hope it's the full uncut version. The one on iTunes in 4K, is the cut version.

Glad I at least got the full uncut version, ripped from the limited Austrian DVD, released 10 years ago, and pretty much impossible to buy anywhere today...
    https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3946164

Love both this one and The Untold Story. Fun sleaze, gore and dark humor.
    The kind of movies that would be impossible to make in these PC times.

russweiss likes this.
  12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

For me Ebola Syndrome was just gore and sleaze for its own sake, a series of shocking scenes strung together without much thought. Amusing for a while but I eventually purged it. Meatball Machine was similar but just barely on the other side of that "watch and keep" versus "watch and purge" line, so it stayed. The Untold Story for me was pure keeper.

For some of the the more main stream Hong Kong flicks, Eureka has issued a few with very good transfers as part of their Masters of Cinema and Eureka Classics series. European release only (I did not test to see if they are region locked). The Eureka release is one of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to pick up the Criterion for Once Upon a Time in China series.

13. russweiss

The big difference between the Eureka release and the Criterion is that you only get the first 3 films of the series from Eureka. Criterion gives you the first 5. For completists you need to buy the Hong Kong box set which features the first three films and Once Upon a Time in China and America or buy the final film as a stand alone title.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I prefer the even bleaker sequel Executioners, but I know what ya mean.

15. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I also saw someone mention that it could be The Seventh Curse instead of Ebola Syndrome. Not sure if that was just a guess by that person or not. I'm much more interested in more fun stuff like that, or something like The Cat or Possessed II than stuff like Ebola or The Untold Story. That stuff is a bit too grim for me. I haven't seen Ebola Syndrome, but I did actually like The Untold Story the one time I watched it. I don't think I'd watch that one twice though.

I wonder how much the subscriptions will be for next year, seems like their prices go up a bit a couple times a year , could the subscriptions be in the $1,000 range this time? I have been mostly satisfied with what I've gotten in my first year as a subscriber, but then stuff like Dark Tower, The Fear and Last Gasp don't really interest me at all. I haven't even thought about watching either of those yet, though I will at least give them a shot before I consider selling them.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  16. russweiss

VS just sent an email (I imagine to all current subscribers) that takes $75.00 off the cost of renewing a subscription. Not bad since I was going to renew anyway. They also mentioned that Horror High will be one of their releases which is a great title to final get to blu-ray.

Katatonia likes this.
  17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Pretty much. I got the limited Eureka with the America title included (kind of wish Eureka wouldn't do add bonus disks like that, as the limited Viy release completely missed my radar as I thought I already had a good version and as a result I missed out on Sveto mesto).

russweiss likes this.
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^^ Yep, got the subscriber email as well.

I'll definitely be renewing... had a good month on ebay and made a ton of pocket change, so at least that's taken care of. :p

russweiss likes this.
  20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Once again I'll be renewing my VS subscription. Kinda sucks that the Completionist package is gone for 2022 with the move to the Peekarama sub-label (at least it's still got the 50% off coupons throughout the year to grab those titles in 2022), but VS did also add on an extra $10 coupon for the 2021 Completionist subscribers on top of the $75 off the renewal we can use towards anything on the site during the sale, so that's awesome!

russweiss likes this.