Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched Blades earlier, and the transfer looks grand. I can finally get rid of that Troma Triple B-Header DVD.

I am curious as to why VS keeps putting hidden "lossy" audio tracks on almost all of their Blu-rays now. They've been doing that perhaps around a year or something... but does anyone else know why? I could see maybe if it was a "set-up" option on the discs, but they're just hidden tracks that you'd only know about by manually switching audio tracks or checking the disc specs with various programs.

I guess the thing before that was that many VS Blu-ray releases had 96kHz lossless tracks, as opposed to the 48kHz that almost everyone else uses. They did that for a while, and then went back again to exclusively 48kHz lossless tracks.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've been hoarding away piles of recent Vinegar Syndrome horror blu-rays, as well as various other recent genre blu-rays, to save for October. I'm realizing that the piles have grown larger than I would ever have time for in a single month on top of everything else, so I decided to slip in one early with 1988's Texas regional-horror Through The Fire.

I would consider myself relatively well-versed in these movies, not that I've seen all of them but I've at least heard of them. I had never heard of this one before Vinegar Syndrome announced it. What a nutty little movie. I found it charming. Certainly more charming than the IMDB score and User Reviews would suggest. I don't know where Vinegar Syndrome finds this stuff, but keep doing it.

My favorite scene was probably when the lead finds that her cat has been murdered by the Satanists and is frozen in her freezer, so she screams for the himbo cop who spends most of the movie shirtless to come dispose of it. Instead, he simply grabs a popsicle and walks away.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

chancetx likes this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

$17. probably.

Are people really buying VS on ebay at higher that they originally cost, when they are readily available on the actual site and under $20 on other online retailers? Wow.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yeah, you can usually sell them for around the same price or sometimes even a few dollars more on ebay, even if it's an in-stock / available title, but the perk is we'd be selling them with the site-exclusive slipcovers which you can't get at other retailers (except for Diabolik). OOP titles of course prices can go up by 1.5x to 5x. I also sell stuff on lots of collector groups of Facebook, so if something doesn't go on ebay, I can usually sell them there for similar prices. Sure, lots go for a few bucks less too, but as subscribers if we do re-sell those titles, even for say $5 less than you could get them from VS, we're still usually making a couple bucks more than what we paid for them and people want those slipcover versions! As a subscriber since the 2nd year they started doing the sub, I've always made back my full yearly subscription cost plus some profit by selling off the titles I watched and didn't plan to keep from that year, and I still usually end up keeping at least half or more of them too! So it can literally pay to be a subscriber if you put in the effort to sell anything you don't plan to keep!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    chancetx, russweiss and baggio like this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Really wasn't a huge discount by buying Flesh for Frankenstein this past weekend. I probably could have let that slide till November.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Might get Creature I wonder if scared to death William Malone's other early horror movie will get a bluray release?

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It is actually! William Malone actually stated he's working on it currently via his Facebook earlier this summer: https://www.facebook.com/william.l.malone.1/posts/10227063790485566

"Hey, if anyone out there was involved (cast or crew) in the making my first film SCARED to DEATH, I'd like to hear from you. I'm going to be putting out a Blu-Ray and I'd like to hear any of your memories of those times. What great fun. Please send me a message. Malone"
    [​IMG]

Since VS just released Creature, there's a probability this will likely also come out through them (although Malone did self-release Creature too, so who knows until we get there).

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sweet!

The Retromedia DVD, had such shoddy and soft PQ, even though the back said it was from a new 35mm transfer.
    Looked more like they tried to polish up a tape master.

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Glad to hear about Scared to Death! I noticed the Amazon Prime had an intro of the film I've never seen before - featuring text. It's before the actual film starts. It also included that scene of the roller skaters discovering
    their friend hanging upside down after she gets stalked by the Syngenor when she goes skating alone in the parking garage. Alas, the jump scare featuring the city sewer worker is missing. Still it's a favorite of mine. Can't wait!

fceurich39 likes this.
  11. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

I just want Horror High.

12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Watched girl school screamers tonight, fuck me it's bad! But not as bad as the continuity! That's fucked!

The electrocution scene is so bad, different actress, different clothes, different location! None of the girls at the end look remotely how they did when they were killed, but the worst one was the rotten arm scene. There's a boat on the lake with 2 women in it, in the middle of the night! Who were they, why were they there and why did the girl who was killed act like they weren't there! It's bad.

Guys enter here at your own risk!

Steel76, wago70 and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I sold off my old "autographed" Titan Find / Creature DVD for $200 recently, so at least that paid for the new Halloween 4K releases... and then some.

I kept a DVD-R copy of it, just in case the old bonus features aren't carried over.

William Malone posted this on Facebook earlier: https://www.facebook.com/william.l.malone.1/posts/10227496860992058

[​IMG]

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October new releases are now up at Vinegar Syndrome.

Ticks UHD
    The Laughing Dead
    Camille Keaton in Italy (box set)
    Nothing Underneath/Too Beautiful to Die (double feature)
    The Grave (VSA)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Gonna get ticks after the holidays if it ain't sold out!

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Added The Grave, Summer Of 84 4K, and The Last Matinee to my monthly subscription. Will stick with my DVD of Boardinghouse for the deliriously long 2.5 hour cut.

Another solid month from Vinegar Syndrome.

17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Ticks, on UHD??

Never ever would I expect that one to pop up on the format :D

Edit: Extended version? Could it be more gore? There IS a weird edit, when one of the badguys, get caught by the big tick, and it looks like he's gonna get his head squished, he screams, and then it cuts to the outside of the house, and we don't see his death.
    Always wondered if that was a cut by the MPAA. Or maybe the effect wasn't that great, so they killed him off screen?

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Camille Keaton set is interesting. I've always thought she was pretty as all get out back in the 70s, but pretty much every sex scene is her character being raped. Although my recent viewing of Spit...Deja Vu now has me questioning her acting ability.

And I actually own the old Laserdisc of The Grave. I think HBO used to show it, it was one of those 90s oddball movies that never got major release and you had to watch it on cable at 2 in the morning (pre-DVR days, obviously)

19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

With a pressing of 6000 this is likely to be around well into next year. The blu-ray was selling for up to $100 on Ebay so this is a great alternative for anyone that wanted it. It should be an upgrade not only to picture quality but adds more bonus features.

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I purchased the complete subscription for $870. With October and November's titles now basically laid out VS will have released 54 titles for my sub. That breaks down to $16.11 per title. As an added incentive/bonus, 6 of those titles were UHD releases. For me this is a no lose situation. There also isn't any tax or shipping costs for subscribers. Can't imagine how it would have cost less to pick and choose the titles I wanted instead of getting this fantastic deal.