Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Never even heard of Alien from L.A. before.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Nothing for me this time.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

"In Australia, my accent's as annoying as yours." LOL, I'm surprised you haven't seen it before ZD. :p

You've never seen part of the MST3K episode?

X-human and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Lol, I've actually never watched MST3K before. Flicking through that vid was pretty funny! :p

Katatonia likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Ugh... $60 for the UHD/BD combo of Scanner Cop 1 and 2...

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't know. VS is awesome and all. But they made things very confusing now.

So hard to keep track of everything. What's VS, what's the other label(that usually go out of stock). Flash sales, secret titles, half way sales. Subscriber plans. You get all of this, but you still have to keep track and buy stuff NOT on the the subscriber plan.

Then what's on sale , what's not part of the sale. Several different labels. Should I buy now or wait until the next sale. Also very few go out of stock/oop now because of this. They made it confusing to the point people are hesitant to buy. Plenty of stock available, no reason to pay full price. So I don't get the "flash sales". There's no point, they won't go out of stock. Just lower the prices across the board. I liked it before when it was simpler.

I literally see about 10-12 titles I could put in my cart right now. (and this is a rarity) None of those are on sale. So I'm passing this time around. But getting the subscriber plan just doesn't work. Not dropping hundreds of dollars down not seeing the titles first. That's doesn't work for me personally. Example, the last half year , there plenty of titles I passed on. I'll pay a couple of dollars more fro titles I'm absolutely must have.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Zombie Dude, satans-sadists and Paff like this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

^ There's a lot to wade through now, isn't there? But they've always been confusing in their labeling (not misleading, mind you, or "bait-and-switch"). Like what's a Limited Edition that once they're gone they're gone for good, and what's a Limited Edition Slip that will be repressed over and over only without the slip? I mean, yeah, it's in the name right there, but they use a lot of the same descriptions for both. You start to get FOMO and bite on a title that's running low, only to come back a few weeks later and see "Standard Edition - Over 1000 in stock"

But at the end of the day, I do like their releases, so they'll keep getting my money.

baggio likes this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

We can say "teats"??? Teats teats teats teats

I can't imagine having the slightest desire to see Alien From LA without Mike and the bots' riffing. Same with Manos.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm not calling any of there business shady or "bait and switch" by any means. It's just gets a little messy sometimes.

Not sure when this started. Maybe it was the first ever "secret titles" pre sale. Wasn't that like 3 years ago? Where customers bought 2 unknown films right before Black Friday.... Now they do that several times a year.(seems like)

So they got Pre Order sales(with secret titles).. THEN .. at the day of the sale. They got more secret titles, not included in the Pre Order. Imho, on the day of "sale". It should be only the pre orders titles and the reveal of said secret title/titles as the "new items" of that day.(not discounted) Which would be for anybody that didn't get in on the Pre Order. They buy A la carte and risk sell outs. That's how it used to be. Easy to keep track of imo. The rest of the online store has inventory at discounted prices.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

broke down and added Murder Weapon / Deadly Embrace blu with special slipcover to my order - I only have rips of these two and I think the slipcover is pretty nice

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

That stuff should really only affect subscribers, and it hasn't been an issue for me so far. It's usually stated pretty explicitly at the top of each item listing.

zbinks likes this.
  12. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

I don't get the hype for Scanner Cop 1 & 2. I've seen both (admittely, on a very bad VHS-rip version) but I can't recall them being gory at all and they were, frankly, a bit boring, standard 90s DTV cop films in a slight SF setting with the scanning ability thrown in. I'm sure that these restorations make them look like real films though.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

I don't know if I've seen Scanner Cop 2, but from memory it was better than Scanners 2 which I don't like at all. Not sure if it was quite as entertaining as I remember Scanners 3 being. That being said, I'll be happy to just have a 4k disc of the first film at some point and not worry about any of the sub par sequels.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Added a couple more to the haul.

Beastmaster (standard edition but still with slip)
    Nurse Sherri

With Nurse Sherri, once they sell out they're gone for good. And since I don't plan on getting the Severin Al Adamson set, this is the only way I can get it. Rights have also expired on Lucifer's Women, although that was a real snooze that I didn't even finish the first time I tried watching it.

othervoice1 likes this.
  15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

16. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

MGM? Amityville 3d.

17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I remember seeing Scanners II as a kid and then Scanners later as an adult, but I don't have any memory of ever watching the Scanner Cop movies. That said, even though some of the effects look a bit cheesy, and even though I'm not as nostalgic about the 90's as I am about the 70's and 80's, I decided on adding them to my order. I totally dug Patrick Kilpatrick in The Cellar, so I can't imagine not having fun with him taking a villainous turn. I also enjoy the element of psionic powers, so I am excited about these two.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I'd be very surprised if it was flesh. I watched a doc about it and apparently the 3D was poorly filmed and that restoration would be impossible. I hope I'm wrong!

I've got the Australian blu of blood for dracula, I'm happy enough with that

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I was surprised with Scanners 2 about how close they got the vibe to the original movie, but really didn’t care for the disjointed nature of the third. They didn’t take the subject matter seriously enough. I was late to the game checking out any of the sequels so by the time I wanted to see the Scannercop movies the local video stores that had them available began closing. Still want to see them but if it’s anything like many of the other VS releases they’ll be up on Hulu or Shudder soon enough.

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I picked up The Telephone Book "Slipcover" finally in another order, after debating it forever. It's down to 114 copies now, so will probably sell out quite soon.

I hope it's as batshit crazy as I keep hearing... o_O