Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I saw Grave Encounters last night. It had my attention initially with decent characters and what seemed to be an interesting premise. Sadly it lost my interest by the end. It's not scary in the slightest or even spooky for a paranormal themed movie. More of a drama akin to something like The Entity, but even that had far more tense moments. Had the film built up to something more interesting with some more tense moments throughout, I could have seen myself enjoying this much more.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Just finished The Cellar and while the monster looks really good and there's a few nice shots, the majority of the film felt like it was dragging it's feet. A big part of the problem for me was that none of the characters were very interesting to keep me invested throughout the runtime. It's a shame because with the monster they had, I felt this one could have been a winner.

Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Which version did you watch? The original and director's cuts are quite different in many ways.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by Bill Pace on Twitter:
    Thomas Rondinella & I are being interviewed by @VinegarSyndrome for their restored re-release of the very first feature film we worked on: GIRLS SCHOOL SCREAMERS!
    Details to come once a release date is announced.

5. Zombie Dude

I'm not sure to be honest. Do we know what the differences are?

6. Katatonia

Theatrical cut is mixed in Mono audio for some reason. The producers later filmed a "voice over" sequence at the beginning, and shot some extra scenes like 6 months later, also the music score is entirely different.

The Director's cut, basically unseen until now, is in the full Ultra Stereo, has the original music score (kind of, but that's elaborated more in the documentary and commentary) — and it's the preferred edit of the director.

I liked the Theatrical cut, and that was all that was even available for years.... but the original Director's cut is just far superior in virtually every area.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Myron Breck likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

The version I saw had the voice over at the beginning and a cool speed tracking shot through a canyon above the dessert. For me it was the most interesting part of the movie, minus the actual voice over that was just (for me anyway) a poorly done exposition dump.

8. Katatonia

Yeah, you watched the original VHS cut then. It's not even in the Director's cut of the film.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Ah ok. Well if that and the music are the main changes then I can't see the DC changing my mind about this one.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

If it's still planned, maybe American Horror Project Volume 3 in 2022? Just a wild guess since Volume 1 was released in 2016 and Volume 2 in 2019. There's so many interesting films that could be contenders for a third volume.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. Zombie Dude

All American Murder wasn't too bad. It had the feel of a title that you would only stumble across in a VHS store. The lead guy was decent with a weird, quirky, smartass personality that helped make the film more enjoyable than it may have been otherwise. Chris Walken was also playing what I think is type cast for him (haven't seen a lot of his films but them ones I have he plays oddball characters) where he rides this weird line of comical and serious. It worked well here. The mystery aspect wasn't the best but that's probably because I've been spoiled by giallo's. It was still worth a watch and a pretty good time. Though I will add that the slasher horror part VS describes in their description isn't really there. It's pretty light of that stuff.

Katatonia likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Also checked out Beyond Dreams Door which I rather liked, though maybe it was a tad on the long side for the kind of movie it was. But still definitely a surprise and far better than I was expecting. It sort of gave me Phantasm vibes at times with it's grand ideas and low budget look. I like the way it depicted dreams and was impressed with some of the shots it came up with to put forth that trippiness.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Watched Beyond Dreams Door this weekend and the director’s cut of The Cellar last night and had a great time with both.

Beyond Dreams Door is easily my favourite of the Home Grown Horrors set. In my opinion, it more than matches Winterbeast in creativity. Winterbeast may introduce a new monster every few minutes (which may or may not charm you with its crudeness, depending on your tastes), but Beyond Dreams Door has many more ideas on the narrative level. For me, it never drags. Virtually every scene supposedly rooted in reality feels like it has the dream world seeping in through the cracks. In one scene, the protagonist goes to visit another character, not knowing that that person is already dead. And not only is that person dead. It’s as if the dream world has erased him from existence, with his house seemingly having vanished, leaving only a vacant lot. It’s understatedly eerie. The main monster is admittedly rubbery, but I still dig the design, which looks like a skinless mutant bear. That said, its overall appearance is left for the viewer to piece together, with only partial glimpses or its frame implied by a shadowy silhouette. This allows it to maintain a sense of mystery and menace on a budget. It works for me.

The Cellar has higher production values with explosions, impressive sets, and creature effects that bear scrutiny well. I found the characters engaging enough. Patrick Kilpatrick gives a macho performance underscored by his rugged physique, broad grin, and blunt pug nose. The real protagonist is his son - a likeable and resourceful kid who must navigate through a complicated relationship with a well-meaning and protective father who fails to grasp the more sensitive aspects of parenting. There’s also the Native American tasked with keeping the monster trapped in its lair. His character feels like a tired cliche. Hilariously though,
    he’s killed off by the monster early on, before even imparting the necessary survival strategies to the main characters.
    I was well entertained, and considering that it was a late night viewing and I was tired, that’s no small feat.

16. Katatonia

Here's one item coming up on the sale:

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/posts/4494374977257329

[​IMG]

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Is there a problem with the 3D effects during the credits of Silent Madness? It seems like the left and right eye frames are reversed or something. Was this mentioned anywhere and I just missed it?

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

baggio likes this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia, fceurich39 and Kim Bruun like this.