Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

[Perv Paff]I'm most interested in Summer Camp Girls, which I remember as a very enjoyable rental back in the VHS days (I was interested, interested, INTERESTED, VERY INTERESTED, then I lost interest). I believe it's the first Shauna Grant Blu-Ray that VS has done[/Perv Paff]

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Btw., any guesses what we could expect from future volumes of Home Grown Horror? Before the two other titles were announced, I was kinda like "Oh, this is going to be Vinegar Syndrome's American Horror Project." There is, however, an interesting bit of text for the release on the VS page:

So, in terms of timeline, Home Grown Horror seems to start where The American Horror Project ends, the latter being devoted to regional independent US horror cinema from the 70's through mid 80's. When VS announced the Home Grown Horror set, I got my hopes up for two of my most wished for independents: Meatcleaver Massacre and Honeymoon Horror. Meatcleaver Massacre falls outside the scope of this line in terms of when it was produced, though it could still be a fabulous inclusion on a future volume of The American Horror Project, if we ever get one. Honeymoon Horror would be a comfortable fit for both lines, if elements for it still exist.

Now... what could we get? I recall a shot-on-16mm slasher titled Freak from 1999. I don't remember it being particularly enjoyable - the technical presentation was very rough, and the actors deliver their lines in a conspicuously non-thespian manner. It definitely had that unmistakable home-made finish to it. There's also Carl J. Sukenick's Alien Beasts, but his works are so unique that the only thing you could put one of them in a box with is another Carl J. Sukenick movie. If such a box ever materializes and there are fans out there, I'll be happy for them. Personally, I've never developed an appreciation for his particular brand of movie making. But back to the line at hand. This first volume has surprised me with two titles I was completely unfamiliar with, and as exciting as Volume One is on its own merits, it makes me wonder what else is out there.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Glad that Televised Horror is being called "Volume 1", implying that there will be more to come. Some of those 70s made-for-TV horrors were pretty wild. I just watched the original Night Stalker movie and really loved it. Never saw it before, I was a little too young at the time, although I did catch the Kolchak series a few years later.

SilentScreams likes this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Nice. All-American Murder. What a nice little gem there.

Katatonia likes this.
  5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Quick tidbit in regards to some of the extra work that went into the Home Grown Horror boxset: both Beyond Dream's Door and Winterbeast, while shot on film, were originally edited/finished on video tape. And as we know VS does not and will not release movies that only exist on video tape as they only work with film. Since that means there is no edited camera negative or film print to work from they actually had to go back to and scan the raw unedited film rolls and do a complete re-assemble/edit of both movies prior to their restorations. So big kudos to VS on that undertaking!

6. Kim Bruun

That sounds daunting, and in the case of Beyond Dream's Door, I am especially grateful that they undertook this task!

I hadn't considered that some of the movies from this period were shot on video. Bill Olsen stated on Blu-ray.com that The Night Brings Charlie was shot on video, which broke my heart a little bit. I would have loved to see that from VS. However, according to IMDB, it was shot on a 16 mm motion picture camera. Forgive my embarrassing ignorance, but that would mean film stock as opposed to video tape, right?

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Charlie is the same situation as these films. It was shot on film, then assembled on video. So in order to create a hi-def transfer they would have to re-edit the movie. This was somewhat common in the direct-to-video era, especially with TV shows (those blu-rays of The X-Files were done the same way, and that's 9 seasons of television!). At the time, hi-def and blu-ray wasn't within sight, so since no one would be seeing these direct-to-video movies and TV shows on film or in theaters, it was cheaper to edit on video.

Worth mentioning, Beyond Dreams Door has video inserts for the shots they couldn't find film elements for. You can see an example in the screenshots on the VS website.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  8. Kim Bruun

Thank you for clarifying, CPT HOOK! So... VS will not release movies that only exist on video tape, but will include video material to create a master of a film where some of the film elements are lost? I can live with that. I'm just glad I'm getting Beyond Dream's Door. ;)

Now, would the The Night Brings Charlie be worth the arduous task of a re-edit to create a transfer from film? Perhaps not. It's just an enjoyable late entry slasher with a hideously disfigured killer (isn't that the best kind?), but it isn't as weirdly unique as the highly imaginative Beyond Dreams Door, or Winterbeast, with its outdated yet ambitious stop motion animation. That said, it would be an INSTANT pre-order for me.

Btw., I immediately went on IMDB to check a couple of my other wish list titles: Honeymoon Horror and The Secret Life: Jeffrey Dahmer. And... they're listed as 16 mm and 35 mm respectively. But the question is: Were they edited on tape?

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ They've actually used video material before on their releases of The Children and The Undertaker, but in those cases I believe entire reels were missing. They had 4 out of 5 and decided it was better than not releasing it at all.

I don't see why they would rule out The Night Brings Charlie. It's probably more requested than the two they did. I'm hoping for Hollow Gate and Elves personally. We'll see what happens.

As for the two mentioned: Honeymoon Horror is definitely shot on film, and it's a safe bet that it was edited that way too. I have it on VHS and haven't seen it in a while, but don't remember anything to suggest otherwise. The "edit on tape" thing was more late '80s / early '90s, so Honeymoon Horror was a bit early for that.

I've never seen Secret Life, but I know InterVision released a DVD. I believe InterVision is basically a label specifically for shot-on-video or edited-on-video movies, so I'd guess that is the case here?

Kim Bruun likes this.
  10. Kim Bruun

Fingers crossed! I see Elves requested frequently as well, btw., so it might just be on their radar.

Thanks again! :) Honeymoon Horror has been at the top of my wish list for the longest time. There's just something about it (like I said, I have a thing for hideously disfigured maniacs). As for The Secret Life, IMDB lists the negatives as 35 mm. But I'm guessing it could have been edited on video. It's got very low-budget production values - except for the gory stuff, which is quite grim.

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

IMDB takes a Wikipedia-esque "community" approach to maintaining it's database. Literally anyone can recommend additions / changes to the database, and the accuracy, especially on lesser-known titles, can be spotty, at best.

Intervision has been, more or less, a sublabel of Severin Films since mid-2011. I'd recommend shooting an inquiry to them to see if there's any chance for a Blu-Ray release.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

So Ive been keeping an eye on Forgotten Gialli volume two - its currently down to 783 left - am I taking a big risk by trying to wait until their big sale in May to pick it up? I would like to have the whole series in the limited box. Not sure how quickly things sell out as this is the first sale Ill be looking to participate in for Vinegar Syndrome

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If it dips below 300, then I'd start to worry if it will last until the sale. It seems when that happens there is usually a rush to buy, and it sells quite fast for a title like this. The Beastmaster is also selling at a steady rate, and if it gets to the sale it'll almost certainly sell out then.

othervoice1 likes this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm eyeing that too and it hasn't budged much the last few months. But it's worth checking in on periodically. It'll probably last but I'd buy it in the first hour of the sale. Maybe even the first few minutes. As you watch the count keep in mind that you can add $15.01 and it's free shipping and handling (which won't be the case during the sale). So it's still a good deal if you need to pull the trigger before then. But also consider that it'll have a standard edition too which will be even cheaper. So what's it worth to you?

I think Kat's right, after 300 panic buying starts and by 200 it becomes a feeding frenzy. Until then most people are in a holding pattern.

When La Femme-objet was "now or never" I threw in She Mob because it's getting low and helped me get to free shipping. She Mob's down to 563 but only sold about 10 copies over the last week so I don't think that'll sell out before Memorial Day for example.

othervoice1 likes this.
  15. Kim Bruun

Just finished my Forgotten Gialli: Volume II this weekend. Gialli have always been hit-or-miss with me, but this one promised just enough sleaze and gore... So, how did it measure up?

The Girl in Room 2A: A young tenant has nightmares about a hooded figure coming to her room at night. Meanwhile, a cult of weirdos lead by a hooded figure is punishing sinners. This one has trouble resolving certain plot points satisfactorily, resulting in unintended hilarity. At one point, the hero is tied up and left to die, only to be rescued by a random passerby in an undramatic fashion. Said rescuer is never seen again. So... you put your hero in a perilous situation, only to arbitrarily free him? There's also the revelation of the hooded figure's identity. "Oh, it's that person, because hey, it had to be someone." Even the heroine seems bemused rather than shocked when the hood comes off at the movie's Scooby Doo conclusion. At the same time, there's torture and gory disfigurement, so the tone is all over the place. That said, I was entertained throughout.

My Dear Killer: An inspector works out the connection between a grisly murder and and unresolved kidnapping case. In terms of production values, this is probably the best of the bunch. It also opens with a memorable decapitation-by-digger scene, followed by and intense buzz saw murder later on. This was the only one I had seen prior to getting the set, and it's the only one I wasn't really into. Simply put: My mind tends to wander in the long stretches between and after the two aforementioned scenes. The talky final act doesn't help. Were the clues laid out so the we had a fair chance of guessing the killer's identity? I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention. Still, we see a man lifted by the neck via a digger, only to have the machine clip off his head, so there's that.

The French Sex Murders: A bordello is the scene of a crime of passion. Or so it seems. Easily my favorite of the set. There's Anita Ekberg's glamourous Madame, the gorgeous Barbara Bouchet as a prostitute, icky incestuous implications, the neon lights of 70's Paris, stylistically rendered murders, two beheadings, and a thoroughly unpleasant study of some very real-looking eye jelly... There's a decent murder mystery there too, but I just enjoyed how this one took me from one lurid scene to the next.

The technical presentations are what you'd expect from Vinegar Syndrome - which is to say good. The French Sex Murders and The Girl in Room 2A both have instances where the audio switches from English to subtitled Italian. Frankly, I've seen enough of these movies to no longer be distracted by it. I enjoyed the set - two hits out of three gets a passing grade from me - but I remain undecided about the other two volumes.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Artwork reveals for the upcoming Televised Terror: Vol 1 boxset:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

russweiss likes this.
  17. Kim Bruun

There's also this art for The Cardona Collection Vol. 1:

[​IMG]

The more I think about it, the more excited I am about it. Bermuda Triangle horror? Check! Jungle cannibal horror? Check! Survival drama? Not necessarily my thing, but will give it a spin. I also notice that this is volume 1. I know René Cardona Jr. made a lot of movies, but I still wonder what to expect from volume 2. After all, Scorpion already released the enjoyable Tintorera, and Code Red announced Guyana: Cult of the Damned a while back, and those I imagine are among Cardona's biggest cult titles.

russweiss likes this.
  18. Kim Bruun

I've broken open my Home Grown Horrors box, starting out with Winterbeast yesterday afternoon. I was expecting something along the lines of Don Dohler's The Alien Factor, which I really enjoy. Winterbeast, however, is far more rudimentary and disjointed. There are plenty of reaction shots where it doesn't really feel like the actor is completely sure of what he is reacting to. The stop motion animation is imaginative, but crude even when compared to the Leemoid in The Alien Factor. When the main Native American demon finally makes its appearance, it's a guy in a suit and prosthetics, and he looks pretty awesome:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, if you thought you'd finally get some physical interaction between monster and actor, it doesn't really happen. The demon just sort of stands there, flailing his arms menacingly, while the heroes work out a plan to vanquish him. Even on a budget, a little stunt work would not have been unreasonable. The movie does feature some charmingly earnest performances from the leads, and the villain camps it up to the max (seriously, either the role was meant to be an effete older gay man, or the actor was an effete older gay man). Also, at a brisk 77 minutes, Winterbeast doesn't outstay its welcome. The same thing can't be said of Fatal Exam, which clocks in at 114 minutes. Overall, it is a much more technically coherent movie, and the plot is an interesting blend of haunted house, slasher, and cultist horror. There is, however, not much of a sense of climax or even atmosphere. Fight and chase scenes are inexpertly choreographed, and the long scenes in bare, brightly lit rooms do little to spook the audience. Still, lead actor is cute, there's a cool little twist at the end, and while I did find Fatal Exam lean on thrills and overlong, I did not find it unpleasant. Now, on to Beyond Dream's Door, which I have fond memories of...

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

20. Kim Bruun

Just for the record, I did have a good time with both Winterbeast and Fatal Exam. I did expect both to be not as well-made and not quite as enjoyable as Beyond Dreams Door. That stance hasn't changed after actually watching them. Still, both carry with them a sense of the unexpected. Fatal Exam in its sub-genre mash-up, and Winterbeast with its array of eccentric one-shot monsters. I can't wait to see what Vol. 2 has in store for us. I definitely consider this a worthwhile companion release to Arrow's excellent American Horror Project, for which I'm still holding out hope for a third volume.

satans-sadists and loutoad23 like this.