Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Its high on my hit list for a blu upgrade. Having said that, like the earlier Beastmaster release, I'm waiting for a cheaper price point edition. Don't need a fancy box and collectible bells and whistles and friend of a fan commentaries. Just an upgraded media presentation and maybe the better bits of "making of" extras.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Wow, that Treasure of the Amazon & TV box set is $115.

This is a tough one. Six Samurai String I don't want at all. Never even heard of it. Guess I'm gonna pass this round considering you can't buy the bundle without buying Six Samurai String. Take my chances down the line and grab a la carte. I've been noticing VS has been "selling out" less and less. Plenty of copies to go around. Prices will way lower too.

I only want Surf II and Treasure of the Amazon. The TV stuff is "intriguing" I've never seen any of them. But not for that price. ..... I usually go for the "mystery titles" I've been doing that since day one. But like I said, there will be thousands of copies in May available.

Holy Toledo is VS getting expensive this year. :) I got a stack of VS up to my waist of unwatched films going back deep into 2020. Right now seems I'm buying just to buy it, to say I have it. Got to cut down. Glad I didn't get the Subscriber package. Each year, it seems like a good deal.. then like always I'm glad I didn't. Way too many films I'm not interested it. But I'm sure for others the subscriber deal is well better suited.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Katatonia likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

VS has been pressing more copies which is the main reason it's taking longer for them to sell out. The nice thing about that is you can probably wait for the half yearly sales and get them at the subscription prices.

baggio likes this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks for the info. Than it wasn't just me imagining things.

What's interesting. Is that while I like that's there's plenty to go around, a small part of me also likes when I get my hands on a Blu that's very limited. As if I got something very special that very few have. You know what I'm saying?

Natas likes this.
  5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm the opposite in that regard. I only buy movies that I really like and have replay value.....I do splurge on blind buys once and a while which I equate to going to the theaters and taking a chance on something I'll PROBABLY enjoy. Good example is this week, I picked up Shivers and Tourist Trap. Haven't seen either one but I'm fairly certain I'll like both.

baggio and Paff like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Is Six-String Samurai worth the $30? I've never seen it and it's the only announcement I'm not especially enthusiastic about. It's not part of the subscription package, so I'd have to buy it separately.

I generally buy the VSAs regardless of what they are, and so far I've enjoyed them, as I tend to enjoy Vinegar Syndrome's track record in general. So there's that temptation to get it. But at the same time, there's something telling me this one just isn't for me.

SilentScreams likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If you don't like Shivers you get an automatic lifetime ban.

(not really, but it's just such a great movie, I can't imagine a true horror fan not liking it)

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Haha awesome, even more excited to dive into it this weekend.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

SSS was a popular movie among film students back in my early 90s college years, but today just going by the trailers it looks like it tries a but too hard to be quirky and oddball for it to be the kind of thing that I’d want to own. I’d watch it if it popped up on a streaming service I use though.

Zombie Dude and CPT HOOK like this.
  10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I didn't spring for the package. It looks like a great set, but too much of a gamble for me. I'm kinda curious about the Cardona set, mainly for Treasure of the Amazon (which I'm sold on based on them comparing it to the Italian cannibal movies). Obviously, the Cardona title I really want is Guyana: Cult of the Damned, but that one is coming out from Code Red. Of course, they're announcing their April lineup Thursday, which reportedly includes a Home Grown Horror box set consisting of Beyond Dream's Door and two other titles. I'd buy that set for Beyond Dream's Door alone.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

La Femme-objet is less than 20:
    https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/ltd-instock/products/la-femme-objet-pulse-video

So I had to pick that up and to get free shipping I cracked and threw in She Mob with Green Jello since that one won't be on sale and is itself low enough that it won't make it to Black Friday. Throw in a slip cover protector for my flaking Magdalena and I'm golden.

If She Mob makes it to Memorial Day Weekend I'll think about ordering it and flipping it on principle but I'm not gonna fuck around with a SWV title.

russweiss likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

From Kevin Tenney on FB:

I can finally announce that Vinegar Syndrome will be releasing my creature feature THE CELLAR to Blu-ray for the first time anywhere later this month. More importantly, they will be releasing my original director's cut, which has never been seen outside of the cast and crew screening and one film festival. Even if you've already watched it on VHS, you've never really seen THE CELLAR the way it was meant to be seen. Honest! No foolin'! Would I lie?

The rest of April will be up on the VS website in 30 mins, hopefully including the Homegrown Horror set.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

14. CPT HOOK

I was so overwhelmed by all the April and May announcements that I forgot to look in their partner labels section. I'm excited for Smile from Fun City. Heavy Trip is pretty good too, but I don't need to own it.

Love All-American Murder, Grave Secrets is a fun little movie, have never seen The Cellar, and Home Grown Horrors looks amazing. Three boxsets in two months? VS is certainly giving us subscribers their money's worth.

Kim Bruun and Katatonia like this.
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's interesting that Smut Without Smut: Things to Come & The Dirty Dolls remains on the "In Stock" section after more recent OOP items, like the second Fade to Black slip cover, have been taken down.

An oversight? Or are they still sitting on more? Perhaps to put up on the first day of the sale? o_O

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I just preordered the Fun City edition of Smile through Vinegar Syndrome. I’ve been wanting this movie for a long while now!

chancetx and Katatonia like this.
  17. Katatonia

The Cellar is awesome. It's been high up on my wantlist for ages. And the unseen "cut" of the film should be great.

I wish Grave Secrets was the 1992 TV movie, which is creepy as hell. The movie from '89 is pretty good, but not great.

Probably just an oversight...

Colleen Camp is in it, so of course I'm excited about it. Ordered!

The Heavy Trip Slipcover is hilarious. I already have the Blu-ray import from Finland, but gotta have this one:

[​IMG]

Kim Bruun likes this.
  18. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Smile is an old favorite. Very funny with a slightly dark streak. And a great cast - Bruce Dern, Barbara Feldon, Annette O'Toole, Melanie Griffith and Denise "Violet Beauregarde" Nickerson in small roles. I actually don't remember Camp being in it but I haven't seen it in years. Joan Prather from Eight Is Enough has a pretty big part - I thought she was so pretty when I was a kid. Would make a great double feature with Drop Dead Gorgeous.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

I don't think Camp has a huge role in it, but she's in the title screenshot:

[​IMG]

chancetx likes this.
  20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

With the exception of Beyond Dream's Door, I am completely unfamiliar with all of the titles in the April slate. Like I said before, whatever else was in the Home Grown Horrors box set, Beyond Dream's Door alone is enough to make me happy - it is ambitiously imaginative, and it's got an eerie, off-kilter ambience that I doubt a larger budget could have improved upon. Then there's Winterbeast. Based on YouTube clips and screengrabs, I kinda feel that we're in the same territory as Don Dohler's The Alien Factor, which I love. I'm not expecting Winterbeast to match The Alien Factor in charm, but my curiosity is piqued. Fatal Exam looks to be the most obscure of the bunch - it's IMDB user rating is based on 34 votes atm., and it's only got one review there (an unfavorable one). Also, since this is Home Grown Horrors: Volume I, there is the promise of Home Grown Horrors: Volume II! :D

Apart from the Home Grown Horrors box, the only title I grabbed was The Cellar - based mainly on Patrick Kilpatrick's rugged good looks and what looks to be some enjoyable creature effects. Glad to see some enthusiasm for it here.