Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I probably wouldn't have for that full price either, but as I was already a Halfway subscriber the $70 off coupon brought it down to a better $750. That's the single biggest hunk of change I've laid down at one single time in a few years.

They are also going to give 50% off coupons to 2021 subscribers for all partner releases, I think it'll be well worth it in the end.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Added a few to my cart:
    Patty Hearst
    Malibu High (slip only)
    The Human Tornado
    The Caller (w/slip)
    Blue Money

5 movies is a nice little order, after 21 back in May. I'll stop here.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

So are you going to bite the bullet and become a yearly subscriber? If you're buying around 30 movies a year it seems worth it.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Unlikely. My 21-disc May was an outlier. It was a perfect storm for me financially; a job overlap had me obtaining two extra paychecks, I got my stimulus money, and my tax refund came in (I was responsible too. I paid off my credit card, and replaced the 17-year old car I was driving that was on its last legs).

I prefer cherry picking the discs I want based on what I hear people talking about. When movies come out and start getting rave reviews online (Deadline, perfect example), they go on my radar. But a lot of their stuff just doesn't interest me at all.

Now that I've back-filled a lot of the catalog titles I want from them, I suspect going forward it will be a 15-20 disc/year haul from me. While that may be a lot, it's still significantly less than the cost of subscribing.

russweiss likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a lot of subsciption talk but little to none on how damn gorgeous that Beastmaster packaging is. I've never seen the film and I'm not sure I'll even like it but that packaging has me ready to bite the bullet.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous packaging, but to be honest, I probably wouldn't order it if it didn't come with my subscription. Not really my thing. I'll give it another try when it gets here though.

7. russweiss

With a pressing of 10,000 I would imagine it will be available for awhile. I could be wrong as it's simply not my cup of tea personally. I also don't think I would have purchased it but it's included in my sub.

8. Zombie Dude

Ah I totally got suckered in by that package and ordered it along with Christmas Evil and PIGS. I always thought Beastmaster had a pretty big cult following so I'm surprised to hear you both wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't included with the subscriptions. I'm not huge on sword a sorcery but often love the art that accompanies the genre. The films just often don't live up to the glorious posters.

Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  9. russweiss

I'm a huge fan or movie artwork with several thousand posters in my collection. I've just about stopped collecting movie paper and primarily focus on movies themselves now. As for Beastmaster I saw it on HBO back in the early to mid 1980's. I really don't remember much of anything about it but didn't think it was considered a cult film. I don't own any paper on Beastmaster but have seen some nice poster artwork.

Beastmaster Thailand photo only.jpg Beastmaster Italian 2-sheet photo only.jpg

Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Wow, that first poster is especially beautiful.

I think a lot of people grew up watching it on HBO back in the day as I heard they used to play it often. I think that combined with the fact that Don Coscarelli directed it has risen it to cult status over the years.

11. russweiss

I was pretty young in the early 80's and still remember that they would take a handful of movies and play them over and over and over. Not sure if they just couldn't find enough content or because it was cheaper to do it that way.

Thailand posters tend to be better than most countries. At least to my taste.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I wonder what percentage of the Beastmaster cult was those of us who were lil gay boys who were in our early teens when that movie played constantly on HBO during the day and we just sat there watching a really manly movie for some really secret reasons and could get away with it in front of the family. I cant tell you how many gay men who are around mid 50s now you can just say "beastmaster on hbo" and the response is "oh guuuuuuurl" because it was their gateway drug into male appreciation. Every parent who secretly breathed a private sigh of relief that their swishy Timmy was watching Tanya Roberts was really gonna have their dreams crushed later. Before the internet lechery was very difficult work.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    chancetx and X-human like this.
  13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I saw Beastmaster a few times at the theater and loved it. I liked it more than Conan. I saw it with my good friend at the time who was a girl. She loved it so much she actually bought a sexy Tanya Roberts poster (tied into the film) and it went right over her bed. She was the first person I knew who came out of the closet. I remember buying her a rolled Beastmaster one sheet poster which went right up on that wall next to Tanya.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, when your daughter has a Tanya Roberts poster over the bed... You no longer need to wonder. :D

wago70 likes this.
  15. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

As an European, with the looming changes in importing stuff (basically meaning that every single item you import has to be declared no matter its cost), I decided to not renew my subscription, with a slight pain in my heart. Still picked up some titles from the sale. It's a bit annoying that they leave up limited releases that have been out of stock for years.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Kind of like that Rob Lowe picture Corey Haim has on the wall in The Lost Boys.

X-human likes this.
  17. wago70

BEASTMASTER sorta became our little Rocky Horror when it hit VHS. Of course guess who rented it first when her family got their first VCR? Then there was the "SHEENA" one sheet a few years later :) which I got for her from a place called Cinema City via mail order. Crazy kids, lol. She was our groups little Jodie Foster.
    BEASTMASTER was an entertaining movie and I loved it pacing - I found the story intriguing all the way through.

18. Zombie Dude

I'm not gay and am still commenting on hot dudes when I see them. I just call it as I see it and a good body is a good body :D

Myron Breck likes this.
  19. wago70

Which brings me to Marc Singer - he's pretty damn FIT as BEASTMASTER.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

With 3 hours left, I decided to use my $30 coupon from preordering the surprise titles and subscribe. I looked at the last 12-months worth of orders from them and I spent around $400, and there's probably another $100-$150 worth of stuff released this year I will probably get eventually, so I think it'll be worth it if I sell a few that I don't want. Also, I've got a stack of movies I need to sell, so maybe this huge purchase (for me, at least) will get me to actually get around and start selling.

Katatonia, MorallySound and russweiss like this.