Victor Miller / Friday the 13th lawsuit

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 1, 2018.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I know this had been discussed previously in the videogame thread, but this probably merits a thread of it's own, now that an initial decision has been rendered.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie...iller-won-round-one-friday-13th-legal-battle/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie...h-court-ruling-franchise-producer-horror-inc/

Apparently Victor Miller prevailed in his lawsuit to claim copyright to his original screenplay (with "Shelly" from Part 3 weighing in with a legal opinion), but there appear to be significant caveats and limitations regarding what rights (limited to the original screenplay, only) he obtains and to what extent he can claim rights (US only). I suspect Sean S. Cunningham / Horror, Inc. will appeal the decision, so this may not yet be final. I don't think the rights of the existing films, themselves, are impacted in any meaningful way.

I think Bloody Disgusting might be wrong about the name Friday the 13th, as I think that was an element created by Cunningham's production company with the script written under the name A Long Night at Camp Blood, instead, but the Pamela Voorhees, Jason Voorhees and Camp Crystal Lake names and characterization probably go to Miller, as they exist in that screenplay.

Miller would not be able to claim rights to Jason's adult characterization or the sackcloth or hockeymask image, as those elements were not part of his original screenplay. I suspect subsequent F13's could get away with dropping the "Voorhees" surname and simply calling him "Jason," but they might also need to rename Camp Crystal Lake (back to Forest Green?) and drop the "Pamela" character altogether.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I read a story about that. I want to see how this plays out. And if they can complete work on the Friday the 13th game.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Miller doesn't appear to be wasting any time, as he's apparently teaming up with LeBron James (what in the actual fuck?) to reboot Friday The 13th.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I'll be surprised if it comes to fruition. Horror, Inc. apparently filed an appeal last week.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm surprised to hear something is apparently moving forward with a remake when this lawsuit seems to be ongoing.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Eh, he seems like a fan. Prefer that to a number-cruncher just looking to make a buck.

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I don't even watch basketball. But apparently he likes Friday the 13th enough to have custom bloody shoes.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

baggio and Up All Night like this.