Van Helsing

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannafey, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

I really enjoyed this movie

Some people just love bitching and will find faults in everything

Go see and enjoy

And what about those vampire chicks :banana:

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm going to see it, too. I'm just not willing to pay $10 to do it. Free rental all the way. Most of us know Stephen Summer's work enough to know whether or not we're going to enjoy Van Helsing. I hate Kate and Ashley Olsen, so I can pass over their movie as well. Some things you just don't need to experience first hand to know that they suck. I don't need to get shot with a gun to know that it would hurt like a son of a bitch.

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Yeah, but if I have no interest in the film, why the hell should I have to go see it? ;)

4. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Couldn't have said it better myself.

5. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I understand that but not wanting to see it because you have no interest in it is different then not wanting to see it because other people say its no good.

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Fun stuff! It's a popcorn movie... nothing else. It's a fun movie. That is all I am saying. :)

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami

Well Said!!

8. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

Did Steven Sommers actually say he "loves" the Universal monsters? I watched some behind the scenes feature on Sci Fi last week and he called Frankensten's monster "Frankenstein" during an interview. After I heard that, I told myself "he won't be getting my $7.50."

Besides, since when did Van Helsing enounter anything but Vampires? Damn Hollywood.

9. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Well, it made $54.2 million this weekend. Hopefully there will be a sequel.

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I hear that "Frankenstein" complaint all the time, but to me it makes perfect sense that the monster could go by simply Frankenstein as well. He constantly refers to the Baron as his father, and in most cases, the same name is passed down. So if the monster is a creation (child) of Frankenstein, it too has a right to be called as such.

11. KingJeff

KingJeff Guest

Saw it today (along with Mean Girls). It was totally fun. Exactly what I expected. I had a great time!

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I, for one, don't just like to bitch. I always hope to enjoy a movie I go see. If I don't, then I have no point in going. I knew I'd enjoy Beckinsale's presence in this film, and I was hoping that it actually would turn out to be somewhat fun, but this is by far one of the most boring popcorn films ever made, and the special effects, it seems like they weren't even trying to make them look realistic. Also, the majority of popcorn movies are dumb, but this one is beyond dumb, and had me rolling my eyes constantly. I hope there isn't a sequel, because they said the Creature from the Black Lagoon would be included if there was, and him being my favorite classic monster, I would really loathe seeing them do the same thing to him that they did to the other monsters in this film.

13. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

LOL, Van Helsing 2 with the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Phantom of the Opera and the Bride of Frankenstein!

They'll just continue doing sequels until they run out of monsters and will have to use the Deadly Mantis. Run Hugh Jackman, run! :eek:

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Van Helsing 3 will have him taking on the Mummy! LOL

---------

i went and picked up the "Van Helsing: The London Assignment" dvd today, as i'm a sucker for animation. after watching it, i must say, this 30 minute animated piece is so much better than the live action film. first off, the story is handled in a serious way instead of campy. no bad acting, or should i say voice acting. The fight scenes felt much more natural, as this stuff seems normal in animation and not so over the top. VH works much better in animated than live action. The animation itself reminded me of the HBO Spawn series. Also, there was quite a bit of gore, believe it or not. Right off the bat, Hyde slices the neck of a woman and blood is spilled everywhere. I don't recall any blood in the live action flick.
    dvd was only $10, and worth it in my opinion. everyone should at least give it a rental. Here are some screen captures (which are compressed jpegs, as the actual video is much better) from the animated mini-film.

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Thanks for the review, RX. I've been looking for one all over the net. Even though it's only $10, I wanted to read what others thought. Now I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow.

16. Pukenstein

Pukenstein Member

Saw it today. It was OK, just a brainless popcorn flick. The CGI was a little too much, everyone swinging and flying all over the place. And the werewolf, I guess we will never see American werewolf in London transformations ever again.

17. PELOQUIN

PELOQUIN New Member

was it just me or the main music suck B I G !!! thecno spanish guitar thing...bad so bad boooooo...major turn off for me. the movies was ok no more no less, I liked a couple of twist in the story but overall is was so close to being spoiled by the over use 007 gadget and the spiderman CGI technology. :(

18. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

Yeah...they had some mad technology back in those days. Sommers should've given him a katana made by Hatori Hanzo instead.

19. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Watched it earlier today with the kids and they loved it which means I loved it. Nothing better then sitting with your kids watching a horror movie and seeing how much they enjoy it. They're young and were startled a few times but it brought back many memories. Not at great movie... but a fun movie.

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I was about to log on and mention the same thing. Holy shit, what a terrible score. Take a typical Hans Zimmer score, add some synthetic drums and some folk guitar to give it some "regionalism". yep, that's brilliant. In a way, it reflects the approach of the movie.

Oddly enough, the thing that bothered me the most is I thought Frankenstein's monster was a vegetarian.

Maybe i read too much.

Anybody else laugh when it said "Directed by Stephen Sommers, in loving memory of my dad"? I know it's mean, but if I died and my offspring dedicated a movie like this to me, I'd come back and kill them.

Not unentertaining though, let's just call it a "TNT New Classic".