Van Helsing

Discussion in 'General' started by Shannafey, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I agree completely. The CGI looks beyond terrible. Jackman was on Leno the other night, and they showed a clip with one of the flying vampiresses attacking him on his horse carriage, and the vampiress, along with the action in the clip, looked so incredibly fake that I was very surprised that the Leno audience wasn't laughing out loud at the clip. The things I've read in reviews sound ridiculous, and the Frankenstein thing is quite dumb on their part too. The only reason I'd see this is for Beckinsale, and I wouldn't pay for it.

2. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

If all goes well, I'll be watching this tonight via screening passes.

Fuck the critics.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I know what you mean, but I still want to see it myself, and if I go in there with low expectations, I'm not going to be dissapointed!!

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'll probably go see it tomorrow when I go to pick up my check, I tend to see most of the movies that come out now, it's not like I have to pay, so if it blows the only thing I wasted was two hours.

5. rhett

rhett Well-Known Member

Looks like a big, empty, overloaded piece of Hollywood shit. It is Universal's answer to LXG, and just another chance for them to promote their monster movie franchises, which coincidentally all just got released in a deluxe box set. 2 1/2 hours of cross-promotion and uninspired CGI...count me out.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

now remember everyone, when you go and watch this film, you will know how much love the creators have for the original monsters. LOL well, that's what they said in the van helsing commercials...err "featurettes" on the Legacy discs.

i'll be checking it out. i'm expecting it to be the same as the recent mummy movies. if the movie lives up to that (which shouldn't be hard), i'll be satisfied. will also pick up the animated "prequel" next tuesday. i wonder why they didn't release it this past tuesday?!

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Eh, I may see this in the theaters but The Day After Tomorrow is looking better and better each time I see a preview on the tube box.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Did you ever download the teaser and trailer like I said you should the other week, or have you still not reinstalled Quicktime yet? At least you've seen some TV spots finally, and that's a plus. :D

9. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Haha! Yeah, I got too much shit on my PC. I crashed again just the other day, so no. I will get it sooner or later IF my PC can stand it. Hehe.

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

:lol: Rhett you kill me lately.

That is all.

11. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

Just got back from it.

Pure shit.

CGI should be the least of anyone's problems. I think I enjoyed Attack of the Clones more than this. Fuck...I'd rather watch House of the Dead again.

For every good scene there were 10 bad ones. Overacting galore too. Get used to seeing the vampires scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" a lot. I think everyone screams like that at some point in the movie.

Huge letdown. Avoid at all costs.

12. Vasilis

Vasilis New Member

Saw it too. Mega crap :(

13. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

This movie looks like a great concept with bad execution. But with Sommers at the helm, what did you expect?

14. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

I liked the Mummy. I even thought Scorpion King was good.

This....was concentrated shit.

If I were take shit and strain it...Van Helsing would be left.

15. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Was Kate Beckinsale's accent as unbearable as it is in the tv spots throughout the whole movie? Seriously I get a nervous twitch when I hear that, what kind of accent is she aiming for there anyway?

I actually haven't the faintest interest in this one. Did when I first heard about it, but after seeing what I've seen, yikes, count me out. Doubt I'll even rent it. You'd think with 150 Million dollars they'd be able to do a little better than the CGI they're highlighting in the commercials.

16. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

Like I said before, CGI isn't the issue here.

At the end of cartoons I don't tell myself how better they would be if they were live action. Face it. Some stuff looks better in CGI (Final Destination 2)

And yeah, the accents are ALL terrible.

From what my friend tells me, dracula's brides are played by models so they probably have shitty accents to begin with.

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Nothing compares to the Brides in Coppola's Dracula. I'm sure Thrashard knows what I'm talking about. ;)

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Man, I don't know what everyone is bashing this for. It's a damn fun movie! Lots of action and fun! Definitely pays homage to the Universal films of the 30s. It had it's flaws, like terrible CG work, and the actor who played Dracula didn't cut it for me, but I liked the flick, and had a good time watching it.

19. marcx

marcx Active Member

just got back from this...

I thnik people are going in to it with the wrong attituteds. Ys I would have preferred a serioustake on the universal classics--but this isn't it!

This is a big, silly, fun b movie that is over the top, inane...

and COMPLETELY FUN!

just go and enjoy the fun actoion and the merging of your favorite monsters! Youre not going to find consistent accents or mythologies here-just big cheesey fun!

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Nowhere near as fun as the MUMMY movies, but it was decent. Like Revoltor said, the bad far outweighed the bad. Parts of it had charm but...eh, it was pretty lame. Kevin J. was pretty good in it though, nice to see Sommers keeping him in the movies (albeit behind a lot of make-up). All I know is that after seeing this I would like to live the rest of my life in a Kate Beckinsale/Elisha Cuthbert sandwhich.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2004