V/H/S vs. Trick 'r Treat: Battle of the Anthologies

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by NaturesMistake, Feb 11, 2013.

?

V/H/S vs. Trick 'r Treat

1. V/H/S

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Trick 'r Treat

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
  3. Other (Creepshow 3? lol)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

I think most of us can agree that these two films are the best horror anthologies in the last ten years, but which one is better? This should be an interesting comparison. Choose either one and explain why, or choose "other" and explain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I didn't like Trick 'r Treat, and haven't seen V/H/S. I haven't actually heard much good stuff about V/H/S, though. I thought it was generally poorly regarded...?

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If VHS rates among the best horror anthologies of the past ten years, then it's only because they're not making enough horror anthologies. I couldn't make it past the ten minute mark. It's fucking pathetic what passes for film making nowadays.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Trick R Treat, the V/H/S trailer totally put me off. After Bigfoot County and The Amityville Haunting I've pretty much had it with shaky cam crapfests.
    Give me Creepshow or the original Tales From The Crypt any day.

5. NaturesMistake

Check it out Dave, you may be surprised and I agree about the first ten minutes Maybrick, but it gets so much better after the horrid intro... As for reviews...

Dread Central seemed to enjoy it
    http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/vhs-2012
    Five knives out of five knives

Shock til you drop gave it 8/10

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/reviews/165225-vhs-review

Most reviews seem pretty positive, but who cares about reviews right?

The film is actually scary in some spots. Despite its flaws it's a pretty good piece of horror fiction so if you guys haven't seen it you should! It should also be noted that I'm not much of a fan of POV horror with the exception of a select few films.

This is great though, if you hate it, let it rip!

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Trick r Treat wins this one hands down (and the poll results reflect it). If anything, it's due to the wraparound story (a town celebrating Halloween, with all the individual stories being part of the town's history) is so good at tying everything together. V/H/S is a bunch of random stuff thrown together with no real coherency (ex: why is a Skype feed on a videotape??).

I do like the "I Like You" girl from V/H/S though, as I'm oddly attracted to girls with bug eyes like that

7. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

The first time I viewed Trick r Treat, I was floored. I loved it. I watched it for a second time I think this past Halloween, and it didn’t hold up for me very well…at all.

I haven’t seen V/H/S yet.

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I just watched TrT for the third time a few weeks ago and I love it just as much each time. Picked up lots of stuff I missed the second time, not so much the third.
    Haven't seen V/H/S yet but can't imagine liking it better. I'll hold my vote for fairness, but feel I should just check TrT as it's one of my favorite overall movies from the last few years. Just wish it was longer.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Easy one for me. I loved V/H/S while on the other hand thought Trick r Treat was way overrated.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Trick 'r Treat, no contest.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Taping a skype feed is no less plausible then a couple taking down their Halloween decorations on Halloween while it's still light out.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If we discussed questionable actions by movie characters in horror films, we'd be here till this site ran out of bandwidth. Like, if there's a zombie apocalypse, and I'm a marauding biker in a shopping mall, I'm probably not stopping to get my blood pressure checked. But hey, that's just me.

My point was that the unifying concept in an anthology film is critical. Otherwise, we're just watching a random collection of short films. "Classic" anthology films can tie all the stories together successfully. Creepshow is great because all the shorts have the look and feel of the old EC Comics.

And that's why I clearly prefer Trick r Treat. Instead of watching a handful of random stories, it feels like ONE movie. V/H/S could have done this, had they created a plausible and enjoyable wraparound concept (and I do think some of the stories in V/H/S, particularly the first and last, are quite good).But this garbage about the B&E and finding some "cursed" videotape are beyond horrible. Not only does it not tie the film together, it actually drags it down.

Worst part is, with the "found footage" style, I don't think it would have been difficult to make a cohesive element encompassing all the stories. Here's a couple right off the top of my head: Make it part of some reality TV show. Or, some kind of Youtube from hell. But the idea that these films are all located on various videotapes is just beyond ludicrous.

That said, Maybrick, take Nature's Mistake's advice and try getting into the actual STORIES of V/H/S. The first one and last are quite entertaining.

I'm tempted to import V/H/S into my video editor and make a version that just links the short films and eliminates the horrendous wraparound segment.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Ugh. I don't know. Maybe I'll give it a second chance, but my patience for the found footage/shaky cam movie is pretty much worn out. I just can't take them, ANY of them any more.

14. NaturesMistake

If it helps, my girlfriend absolutely hates POV horror, but enjoyed this one... We watched it the other night and I forgot how much I liked this one... That said, I believe Trick 'r Treat is much better made and is essential Halloween viewing, but V/H/S has a huge fun factor and is way scarier... I actually can't pick myself. Love them both for different reasons.

15. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

V/H/S was so poorly done that, once the credits rolled for the individual stories, I couldn't remember them.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Trick r Treat is one of my favourite anthologies of all time, and one of the best horror films since the 80s, that being said, I haven't seen VHS yet so I won't vote. It seems to have gotten mixed reviews though most seem to be pretty positive. I have heard the sequel S-VHS is even better though.

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

V/H/S was ok, not nearlly as good as all the hype suggested (although i can't wait to see S-V/H/S after all the positive review's i've read), have to say was not a fan of Trick 'r Treat on first viewing, but after reading all the love for it on here i decided to give it another go, got say i'm glad i did, i loved it on second viewing, so my vote Trick 'r Treat .

18. startide

startide Member

I can't vote in this one, but I will say that I blind bought TrT and loved it! It played out like a few eps of generic horror TV, but I LOVE horror TV, so that's not a criticism. Hell, even my Mum watched some of with me and I think even she liked the Scarecrow. :D

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

No contest for me. Trick 'r' Treat isn't perfect. But it's a lot of fun and the Halloween atmosphere is palpable. It's also a real film full of good performances, some interesting ideas, and nice cinematography.

Aside from The Blair Witch Project I like very few found footage movies. And V/H/S is as uninspired as most of them. I understand that these shaky cam fests are good gambles since they're so cheap to produce. But not only are they visually unappealing--I find them very frustrating to watch. The danger of photosensitive epilepsy combined with terrible writing and unlikable characters makes most of the found footage films unwatchable for me.

For the record I made it through V/H/S. But I can't say I enjoyed it.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You and me both, buddy. The only other film of this style (unless you go back and include Cannibal Holocaust) that I like is [REC]. 'Cause most of the time you're screaming at the screen, "Drop the stupid camera and RUN, asshole!"

That style worked in [REC], as the whole thing was supposed to be a news report.

Still, V/H/S does have it's share of inspired moments, but they're few and far between. The first story works (other than "I Like You" girl) because it's supposedly coming from an embedded camera in one chararacter's glasses.