Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Gotta believe it's MGM then. They were pretty bad about doing open matte releases on their 80's films.

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

would love for it to be The Video Dead i heard the music rights hold up for the film has been cleared or even Fright night part 2,rawhead rex,mosquito,godzilla 1985

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the announcements tomorrow, but just thought I'd add:

Amazon currently has Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 1 Volume 1 on sale for $9.96. It includes the first 30 episodes on 3 discs.

I have fond memories of this show from when I was a kid. I ordered it for the nostalgia alone, even though it'll probably be awful watching it now.

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Can't think of any horror MGM releases that were released in fullscreen only. Plenty of films in other genres were released in 1.33:1, like the Cannon action films, but not many horror films were. I can think of several Lionsgate-controlled titles that were released in fullscreen: Chopping Mall and Fright Night 2 come immediately to mind. This latest revelation kind of throws a wrench in my theory that it's exclusively MGM titles that Shout has licensed. Maybe it's a combination of different labels/studios. Tomorrow can't arrive soon enough.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I have MST3K question... I don't follow the release dates of the volumes, but I do buy the them every now and then when I get in a MST3K kick...I just want to know has a volume been released with Squirm on it yet?

6. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Nope. I believe Jeff Lieberman is very against it. Something along the lines of he didn't find it very funny. Shame too, I really want that episode.

7. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I know Lieberman is not fond of the episode, but is it even up to him on whether the Squirm episode is released or not? That is a shame if that's the case because it is indeed a great episode.

C'mon... Lieberman can't be that big of a baby.

8. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

See, that's the one thing I wonder about too. I can't imagine that every director of a movie in a MST3K episode was fond of their commentary but some still probably got released on DVD anyways. Speaking of which, I believe the director of the Hobgoblins is one of them.

9. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. The only full screen MGM dvds ('80s horror titles) I can recall: I, Madman and Curse 2: The Bite (part of a double feature with first one). The Dark Half was also full screen, but that's from the '90s.

Lionsgate does have a few gems: Chopping Mall, Slaughter High, Warlock, and Waxwork. Obviously, they also released Fright Night Part II as a full screen dvd, but I will literally shit in my pants if that's the announced title--I just don't think it's likely. Others, (from LG) that are more obscure: Watchers, Midnight (1982), My Best Friend is a Vampire.

10. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

A good FRIGHT NIGHT 2 would probably be my #1 want from anyone mining Lionsgate's catalog. I'd love to see a proper HD transfer of ALLIGATOR, too.

11. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

The 2 titles have been announced via Scream's Facebook (I think you'll be pleased with the first one)!!!!!:

"For the next couple of months on Fridays we'll reveal a title planned for a future release which is part of a new licensing deal we struck. The first out of the crate are...TERRORVISION (1986) and THE NEST (1988)

The highly-requested TERRORVISION has never been on DVD format before and THE NEST has never been released in a widescreen presentation. That will all change soon. :)

Check back with us next Fri for another release scoop. And keep checking back with us regularly for more release specific details on TV and THE NEST."

12. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Titles announced:

TerrorVision (1986)
    The Nest (1988)

:D

Edit: Nailwraps beat me to the punch.

13. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Glad to see THE NEST getting a proper release; the old Corman DVD was acceptable for the time, but it'll be great to see a new transfer and some extras. The film itself is a gory, gooey blast -- a killer, mutant cockroach flick that's populated with good characters and isn't afraid to throw some punches. It's long been a favorite of mine and criminally underrated -- I even imported a Japanese DVD in the earliest days of the format!

On the other hand, I watched the MGM remaster of TERRORVISION on cable a few years back and thought it was crap.

(Edit: I should clarify. I thought the movie was crap; MGM's print was gorgeous.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  14. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

:banana::banana::banana:

15. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

TERRORVISION: 12/28, 4:30 am, TCM

16. CPT HOOK

MGM!

For the love of God, bring on Teen Witch!

17. CPT HOOK

It is also streaming on Netflix in HD. I hope we get some of the other MGM / Netflix titles as well, such as Blood Games, The Immortalizer, The Resurrected, etc.

They re-did The Island after that hit MOD, so hopefully we might see Modern Girls, Spellbinder, New Year's Evil and Up The Creek.

18. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

If non-horror titles are included, I'd like to see Shout! put out the remaining DePatie-Freleng cartoons (Tijuana Toads, Blue Racer) maybe a 50th Anniversary Pink Panther collection with all the films (including Return through Universal) and the cartoons.

19. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Assuming they were allowed to rummage through the Empire Pictures catalog, maybe we'll get Ghoulies (and part II), Troll, Breeders, Dolls, Prison, Cellar Dweller, and whatever else MGM has kept buried.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

why aren't they releasing The Nest under the Roger Corman's Cult Classics line?