Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Are you still enjoying Marvel's stuff? It's getting super mixed for me. I think part of the problem is they just oversaturated the market so it doesn't feel special like it used to. That's not the only issue though; their use of comedy (which I can enjoy) is just too much sometimes. They can create something impactful or thought provoking and then immediately flush it all down the shitter with some stupid joke that ruins the moment. It's definitely getting old.

Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

While I didn't really care for Black Widow or Morbius I thought Spider-Man, No Way Home was really entertaining. One of my favorite Marvel films. I also enjoyed Shang-Chi and Eternals. For me, Marvel still puts out entertaining product and I will continue to see them. Even the titles I don't think are stellar are generally more entertaining than other big films like Ambulance (the shaky cam was just too much), Fantastic Beasts, and The Batman.

3. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Amen! I don't even watch superhero movies but you just summed up 90% of the mainstream crap coming out of Hollywood!

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, obviously.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Shout Factory is releasing Georgia Rule and even that is more interesting than reading about Marvel movies on a horror forum.

6. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Katatonia likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

I enjoyed the latest Spiderman too, but even that felt a bit lacklustre at times. The stakes don't feel that high anymore. Some things I loved, other things felt like typical Marvel bull, like making a joke and mockery out of all the villains.

Same with Shang Chi. Some stuff was great and entertaining, other things where jokey Marvel nonsense. They lean to heavily into that side of things all the time. The Eternals was far more serious but just felt like discount Justice League which didn't work for me. Nor did their bizzar desire to help humanity and stry from their mission.

I actually watched Ambulance last night and really enjoyed it. Was a fun time and I don't really like Michael Bay, so that surprised me.

And that other Hollywood crap is just trying to imitate Marvel and that humour. It's become super annoying. We want variety, not the exact same thing.

Katatonia likes this.
  8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Stakes not being high is what a Spider-Man film should be. Pushing what should be a local crisis handling middle rung superhero with low wage drama issues into repeated save the world situations misses the entire point and appeal of the character.

On this, I thought the film mostly got it right. Four of the featured villains IMO were redeemable, and two could have swung either way. For me only Flint Marko is handled wrong - this was a character looking for an excuse to seek redemption, and his having achieved it in Spider-Man 3 was cheapened by his behavior in No Way Home. The rest were handled well, with Otto Octavius and Norman Osborn in particularly allowed to shine - in entirely different but suitable manners. Both of them, above the others, had a inalterable path dictated by their respective ethical core.

Having said that, none of the Spider-Man films in the current Marvel movie-verse have managed to de-throne Spider-Man 2. 3 was an easy fall (but still IMO better than the Garfield led films), and 1 is on objective rethink a bit of a mess. So the Holland films get to slot over those to take bronze and silver, but the gold is still Raimi's.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't taking about "end of the world" high stakes. More so that with all the villains in this movie I expected some better fights. Again, Marvel dumbs down their villains too much to the point where they're only a fraction as impacful as what's in the comics.

I agree about Sandman. The lizards was handled poorly here too. For one, he looked far worse CGI wise than he did in the first Amazing Spiderman film. Secondly, they pretty much did nothing with him.
    I found the dialogue given to all the villain s was mainly for laughs too. I'm guilty of laugh at those jokes but they definitely cheapened the impact of those characters.

The whole idea of Peter wanting to help these villains was bizzar and stupid too. I rolled with it, but even in the theatre I was confused as to why he cared so much and made such a big thing of saving them.

I really enjoy the first two Rami Spiderman films. I think it's had to top those. I don't hate the Tom Holland films, but I do think there's something missing.

10. KGBRadioMoskow

It made sense for me, in that it was a difference between them unexpectedly dying in a fight versus knowingly sending them back to their deaths. Even in the comics (usually), Peter Parker would have some guilt of the former but outright objection to the latter. In the film universe, especially for Otto Octavius and Curt Connors (for Connors, Parker's affection is comic accurate as well) - although not necessarily *that* version of Parker.

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

That's, at least partly, because movies aren't really an ideal medium for translating the narrative structure of comic book-based stories, which tend to be more episodic in nature.

Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Also, he literally just got off the legal hook for the death of Mysterio. Why would he jump at the chance to send four individuals to their death when he doesn’t even have any personal history with any of them? Even if they’re all supposedly criminals they’re all still largely innocent in his eyes until proven otherwise.

13. Zombie Dude

The movie made it seem like they were going back to the same moment they were ripped from. So for most, if not all, they were being sent back to their inevitable death regardless.

14. KGBRadioMoskow

Not the case, given:

Sandman didn't die.

Doctor Octopus was redeemed at his death, but the one pulled over wasn't. So there was a fairly significant time gap implied between switch and death - if it was similar for the others it would suggest an opportunity for each to change their fate. Although Otto was probably still doomed, by his own choice.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It isn’t inevitable because none of the villains are really the ones from the original movies, they are variants. If they go back their timelines change no matter what. The Spider-Men might be the originals or might not be because years had passed between their films and the events of No Way Home. There’s no way to know for sure, but for our purposes it doesn’t even matter.

16. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

17. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

First review of Cursed Collector's Edition:
    https://dvdnewsflashthereviews.word...ursed-2005-2-disc-collectors-edition-blu-ray/

And details for Femme Fatale:
    https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=30608

"Special Features and Technical Specs:
    • NEW 2K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM AN INTERPOSITIVE
    • NEW De Palma Repertory Player – An Interview With Actor Gregg Henry
    • NEW Shaping De Palma – An Interview With Editor Bill Pankow
    • From Dream To Reality Featurette
    • Dream Within A Dream Featurette
    • Femme Fatale: Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
    • Femme Fatale: Dressed To Kill Montage Featurette
    • Theatrical Trailer (English And French)
    • Optional English subtitles for the main feature"

baggio, fceurich39 and Katatonia like this.
  18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Cursed arrived earlier today from Bull Moose (pre-ordered early while it was $25.97 there) — and just browsing through the 2 transfers look very nice. They do indeed appear to be recent scans (4K scan of the original camera negative) offering strong visible detail and rich colors.

The Unrated Cut is 1:39:20, and the Theatrical Cut is 1:37:04 in running time.

russweiss, zbinks and fceurich39 like this.
  19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Fire in the Sky Blu-ray back cover:

[​IMG]

Nailwraps, fattyjoe37 and Steel76 like this.