Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I really need to revisit House of Wax. I saw it in the theaters, absolutely hated it....but I find myself enjoying some early 2000s horror that I dismissed as crap years ago.

And I've never seen A Stranger is Watching. Worth a blind buy when this is released?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It's very slow and way more thriller than horror. I would say it's not the safest blind buy at Scream Factory prices.

The Dead Zone is long overdue, and I'm sure excited to see Brotherhood Of The Wolf again. Great movie!

Natas likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Eight Legged Freaks is pretty fun, basically a comedic toned monster flick with a strong nod to 50's films. And the Arizona desert locations work to its benefit. Hopefully it at least gets a fresh HD scan, the DVD came out way back in 2002.

I remember renting The House of Wax remake, and thought it was decent as far as modern remakes go... but probably not something I'd want to own. It would have worked better without Paris Hilton in it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's interesting at the time I enjoyed 'House of Wax', but not 'Ghost Ship' and I hated 'House on Haunted Hill'. I've revisited them all recently and my opinion has changed on them all! While I enjoyed 'Ghost Ship' I loved 'House on Haunted Hill' but absolutely hated 'House of Wax'! For Wax I'd say seek out and revisit before stumping up this just in case!

On a side note I do love they use the 'Paris Hilton' interview as a sales ploy. Like horror fans are on the fence with this release but will now be dropping cash on the announcement of its inclusion!

Natas likes this.
  5. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

House of Wax is overlong but I enjoyed it as it's basically an uncredited remake of Tourist Trap, one of my all-time favorites. Surprisingly Paris Hilton isn't the worst thing about it, though I really have zero interest in her thoughts on the movie. Hopefully they can come up with some better extras than just her interview

Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'll have to give Eight Legged Freaks a watch. Found the trailer on youtube and it does look like some goofy fun.

Paris Hilton isn't even bad in House of Wax. She's surprisingly decent and not the most annoying character. I do remember everyone having a good laugh at her death scene back in the day, just because it's her. I found the scene actually tense when I revisited it.

7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

The last thing I saw Paris Hilton in was that airplane prank.

I still haven't seen House of Wax. I watched some of her TV show once. It was stupid. It was before the Kardashians I think. I only watched a few minutes of that it was terrible. I can't believe people watch that sort of thing.

8. Zombie Dude

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

No way. The new disc looks and sounds great. The old disc was vertically stretched as well.

Nailwraps likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Detail looks muddy to me and that bitrate is definitely lower and seems to fluctuate more. I'm not too convinced.

I will say I like the colours more on the new edition though.

11. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

King Kong CE review!:
    https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-Kong-Blu-ray/102113/#Review

and details for:

City Slickers II: The Search For Curly's Gold:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/city-slickers-ii-the-legend-of-curly-s-gold?product_id=7577

"Feature-Length Audio Commentary By Actors Daniel Stern And Jon Lovitz, And Director Paul Weiland
    Making-Of Documentary
    Theatrical Trailer"

Wildcats:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/wildcats?product_id=7573

"NEW Restoration From A Brand-New 2K Scan
    NEW Interview With Screenwriter Ezra Sacks
    Training Montage Music Video
    Theatrical Trailer"

All About The Benjamins:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/all-about-the-benjamins?product_id=7574

"Commentary With Director Kevin Bray And Producer Matt Alvarez
    “Shot Caller: From Videos To Features”
    “Strictly Business: Making The Benjamins”
    “Miami Nice”
    “All About The Stunts”
    Gag Reel
    Deleted Scenes
    Trina Music Video “Told Ya’ll”
    Theatrical Press Kit
    Cast Interviews From The Premiere
    Theatrical Trailer"

Sphinx:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/sphinx?product_id=7605

"NEW 2K Transfer Of The Interpositive
    Theatrical Trailer
    Radio Spot"

and The Awakening:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-awakening?product_id=7600

"NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive
    Theatrical Trailer
    TV Spots

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up King Kong 76 bluray this morning at my bestbuy store. Now if we can could get King Kong Lives from any studio that would be sweet.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

King Kong 76 was the first film I ever saw in a theatre so you would think that I’d have some nostalgia for it.

I don’t because it stinks.

14. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Is it possible to NOT LIKE a post? This post makes me almost as sad as I was the first time I stayed up to watch King Kong '76 on TV as a kid and cried myself to sleep.

russweiss likes this.
  15. maybrick

If I stayed up late just to watch that piece of shit I would have cried myself to sleep, too.

Copyboy and loutoad23 like this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Yeah from what I've seen from clips and reviews it looks pretty awful. The sequel looks even worse.

17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Jessica Lange puts her physical assets on stunning display. Sadly the dumb blonde role she's saddled with is cringe worthy enough to actually make you forget what you're looking at. It took future films to give her the opportunity to show she deserved better.

Then again, I found all of the characters thoroughly unlikable. When your lead is Jeff Bridges channeling his smugly self righteous, sarcastic semi-shaved hippy best you start rooting for the villains real fast.

The special effects, even for the time, didn't hold up. Combined with the surprising scarcity of actual action it makes it too hard to get past the film's serious dramatic faults.

As a hilarious side note, I remember as a kid the epic pre-release hype behind the film. Kids couldn't wait and ate up whatever merchandise they could get. After the film released, they traded away their bubble gum cards for anything they could get, and their walls found new tenants for the poster space.

I think the film's fatal flaw is its mediocrity. It isn't good enough to merit praise, it isn't bad enough to generate amusing ridicule. And while weird or campy can gain cult status over the years, being as ponderous as your main character in its melodrama can't. I tried to enjoy the film as a kid, I tried to watch it again as an adult to give it a second chance. I don't regret watching it, but I know I'll never do so again.

maybrick and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw this in the theater when I was 9 or 10 years old. As a kid (which I assume you were as well) it's difficult to imagine you thought the film was that bad back then. It had a giant monster. What more does someone young really want?

othervoice1 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The matte and bluescreen effects in King Kong 76 are terrible, even for the era. Especially the closeup shots with helicopters flying behind Kong, when he’s on top of World Trade Center.

I wish they went with stop motion, instead of the monkey suit.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. maybrick

I didn’t hate it, but as KGB said it is only exceptional in its mediocrity. It isn’t even good on a bad level. Honestly it didn’t effect me one way or the other as a kid and nothing about it made it memorable. Revisiting it as an adult only made it worse.

Zombie Dude likes this.