Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

***POLTERGEIST II & POLTERGEIST III Update***

They’re Here…Again! The 1986 and 1988 sequels to Tobe Hooper/Steven Spielberg’s original classic Poltergeist are coming to Scream Factory this Winter! Today we reveal to you a few more details about them:

- Official release dates for both are January 24th

- Both will be a branded as a "Collector's Editions" that will come with a slipcover (guaranteed for three months after its original release date).

- The newly-commissioned front-facing artwork you see pictured comes to us from artist Justin Osbourn (Lifeforce, The Fog, Child’s Play). The reverse side of the wraps will showcase the original theatrical poster art.

- Bonus features and specs are still in progress and will be announced sometime in Nov/Dec. However, we can confirm now that both will receive new 2K film transfers!

- Pre-order now directly from our website which includes shipping two weeks early plus a free 18” x 24” poster of the newly-designed key art (while supplies last)!

Poltergeist II: https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/poltergeist-ii-the-other-sid…
    Poltergeist III: https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/poltergeist-iii-collector-s-…

[​IMG]

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

awesome. unfortunately the first one will now be the only one lacking a worthy edition....

3. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

THe first one was all you need.. didn't care for the others..

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Hush ronnie.

Fistfuck and Marv Inc. like this.
  5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Although the 2nd was the better of the two. but 3 had some good creepy scenes..

6. cgay2

cgay2 Member

I agree with ronnie there awful. They should call part 3 carol ann because they say it more times then real dialogue. I just watched it the other day for the first time ever and now I know why for over 20 years I never got around to it. One of the worst sequels I have ever seen. The carol ann bit got so bad my wife in the next room got annoyed. I will defiantly be passing on these. Just like stupid Silent Hill, Have you seen my daughter? Carol Ann. Somebody should make a mix tape of these films. I will give you this Part 2 was creepy when I was a kid. The guy who played Kane signing in the rain was nightmarish. Too bad he died because the part 3 Kane was lame. I love his whole back story in part 2 too bad everything else was so awful the floating family did that one in. I will take 2 anyday over 3

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Julian Beck was absolutely memorable in part 2 as Reverend Kane. Part 3 is watchable if for no other reason than it featured Lara Flynn Boyle before the plastic surgery.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm with Ronnie on this. Part 2 is passable and has its moments but 3 is unwatchable.

9. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

For your enjoyment, nearly 4 minutes of "Carol Ann" from POLTERGEIST III:

Katatonia and Matt89 like this.
  10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I love both of them. Poltergeist II is better than Poltergeist III but that still isn't saying much. To be honest you can't really hate on Poltergeist III too much since the second half of the movie had to be completely rewritten at the last minute following the death of Heather O'Rourke. But I loved them when I was a kid so there's a certain amount of nostalgia for me. Hopefully we get some commentaries on these!

~Matt

Myron Breck, buck135, Dobby and 3 others like this.
  11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Will pick up both of these. I've never seen part III but if I own the first two, might as well have the third. I remember a really creepy scene from part II with the old man as he slowly walks up to a door. Made the hair on my neck stand up.

12. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I have never seen II, but I had the misfortune of catching III on the theater when it was first released. I thought it was a pretty tepid flick, which is a shame since it was directed by Gary Sherman, who is usually pretty reliable.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just re-watched both Part II and III last month, and personally prefer Part III and actually still quite enjoy it. I must confess I did watch it a lot as a kid, but it's not just nostalgia for me. It's a pretty decent movie with some creepy set-pieces. The fact that mostly all of the effects were done in-camera is also a plus.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It took me a few decades to check out Poltergeist III but when I finally did I don't think that I even made it to the end of the movie.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I personally love Poltergeist III, always have. Yeah, the story and ending are very disjointed, and obviously had to be due to the death of Heather during filming, but I love the skyscraper setting and the overall atmosphere of the film.

16. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Part 2 is saved by Reverend Kanes creepiness

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I saw PII opening day in 1986 and I felt it had *some* of that original 1982 film feeling to it. On the negative side, the theater I saw it at, although huge,had the quietest, lowest soundtrack! I heard so many people ask their seat mate, '...what'd they just say?' at each showing I went...yeah I saw PII at the theater many, many times because I just appreciated it was made at all.
    By contrast, I also saw the 3rd film when it opened and, by then, there was NONE of that spark in the film. It felt so off and so...desperate. I went another time to see it at the discount house (which was a pretty nice place) but the 3rd film just never resonated with me. I felt, at the time, the Freeling family connection had been played out and a new story and new characters should experience their own story but with Tangina around to keep us fans rooted.
    I'm still glad they're getting a great release, though. One of these days the original classic film will get its LONG OVERDUE...due on home format.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I kinda like Part 2, but that ending is so silly and sappy I wanna puke.
    And when they fly around in the Other Side, with the cloud tank FX in the background, I almost expected them to encounter Flash Gordon :D

wago70 likes this.
  20. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Extras for To Live and Die in L.A. (plus we're getting a 4K transfer!!!):

"- NEW 4K scan of the negative - supervised and approved by William Friedkin
    - NEW Taking a Chance - an interview with William Petersen
    - NEW Wrong Way: The Stunts of To Live & Die In L.A. - an interview with stunt coordinator Buddy Joe Hooker ...
    - NEW So In Phase: Scoring To Live & Die in L.A. - an interview with the band Wang Chung (Jack Hues and Nick Feldman)
    - NEW Renaissance Woman in L.A. – an interview with actress Debra Feuer
    - NEW Doctor for A Day – an interview with actor Dwier Brown
    - Audio Commentary with director William Friedkin
    - Deleted scene and alternate ending
    - Counterfeit World: The Making of To Live and Die in L.A.
    - Still Gallery
    - Theatrical Trailer
    - Radio Spot:

Myron Breck and baggio like this.