Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That Dog Soldiers cover looks like yet another one for the shit pile.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Why do they insist on putting heads on the covers? I love the new Sleepaway Camp artwork except for the head shot right in the middle of it. Looks awful. These covers would look so much better if it weren't for the bodiless heads.

~Matt

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

The creator of this Dog Soldiers cover, as well as the Sleepaway Camp cover, went on a long spiel justifying it, referencing the work of Drew Struzan, among others. But what it really came down to, and which he more or less admitted to, was that its all for marketing purposes. I'm sure industry studies have shown that covers with large heads sell better. So that's pretty much why. And it means we can forget about seeing any Scream Factory covers that don't include large faces. Keeping everything in perspective, though, if the alternate cover art is the worst element of these releases (outside of some questionable A/V presentations that Scream has no control over), we should count ourselves lucky.

4. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I don't understand using the heads for marketing purposes. It's not like we're talking marquee level stars here. The only people that are going to recognize the faces on these heads are those who are already genre fans, have more than likely seen these movies and therefore already know if they like it enough to purchase it or not. I can see if Brad Pitt or George Clooney are in your movie, but who the hell outside of genre fans are going to recognize Felissa Rose?! I don't blame Nathan at all, I blame Scream Factory because you know they're the ones telling him he has to do it. Faces sell A list Hollywood movies, not mid-shelf video store horror movies.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  5. maybrick

Especially when the drawings don't look entirely like the actors that they're supposed to me. For instance, the guy on the middle left could almost pass for Udo Kier, for christsakes!

What's even stupider is having the tagline "Six Men.." when there are only five floating heads prominently displayed. And ONE of them is a woman!

6. Mikey Horror

The sixth man wasn't a big enough star to make the cover.

7. maybrick

Well then I'm truly afraid to ask about the fifth one then.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Amen. You hit the nail on the head, it makes absolutely no sense when the actor isn't a big name star.

9. Mikey Horror

Look, Scream Factory is doing great work and I appreciate the hell out of them for bringing all of this shit to hi-def, but come on. When you walked through the horror section of the video store years ago did you see heads all over the VHS boxes in the horror section? No, you saw kick ass artwork because with titles like these they were selling the idea of the movie, not the actors in it. I still think the original poster art should be the slipcover and let the "newly commissioned artwork" be the reverse.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think you guys are reading too much into it. I don't think that they care if the faces are recognizable or not. i'm thinking that all they care about is that there is ANY face on the cover. Maybe these hypothetical shoppers see a face and assume it's someone famous they don't know, which - obviously! - must mean the movie is worth looking at. Maybe it gets them to pick it up just to SEE if it's someone they recognize. and then they have it in their hand, and the cover has done its job.

11. Zombie Dude

I totally agree. This new artwork is lacking in comparison to those old VHS tapes. The whole floating heads thong has to go. Like you say thought, at least they're bringing these films to hi-def.

12. Zombie Dude

The thing is, an interesting cover should do that regardless. I don't buy that angle at all.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'm just glad that the covers are all we have to piss-and-moan about. :)

14. Mikey Horror

Pick it up? Wait, do you guys actually see these in stores!? In real life? What's that like? I haven't seen a single Scream Factory title in a honest to God brick and mortar store. Ever. I've ordered them all online. And let's be honest here, they know exactly who they're marketing these titles to. I doubt the casual movie fan perusing whatever mythical store there may be actually selling these on a real wooden shelf is going to pick up a movie called Sleepaway Camp on a whim just because there's a face on the cover.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I can't count the number of times I've picked up a DVD or Blu-ray only to have to put it back disappointed that the heads on the cover weren't big enough.

I really can't.

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yes yes, the heads are lame, that's old hat. At this point I just hope there's a serious PQ improvement from the last Dog Soldiers Blu. I dislike when a company releases something on Blu that's already been done by someone else when they could be spending their time on something completely new!

17. Mikey Horror

What has me worried is that they were asked quite a few times on Facebook if this would be a new transfer and they've avoided the question like the plague and in this business, we all know what that means.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

If they really were designing these covers solely for fans (like you and I), then what possible reason could they have for consistently ignoring all the fans who complain about the omnipresence of floating heads in their artwork? Whether you buy it or not, the fact remains that in this case (and thankfully, this case alone) they are pretty much completely ignoring us. If you can think of any other reason why they would be doing this, I'd love to hear it. But it seems pretty clear to me that they are ignoring us because this marketing decision is not made with you and me in mind.

Walmart used to have them all the time, although not anymore. And HMV and Best Buy still carry them. Those are all pretty "average joe" places to shop. But that's beside the point. I'm not saying that I believe it's effective. I don't really expect that it is. But I wouldn't be surprised if a team of marketing people somewhere thinks it will be.

absolutely. i more-or-less said the same thing myself a few posts ago.

19. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Really? Maybe it's a Canadian thing. I haven't seen any Scream Factory titles in Best Buy in quite a while - probably since the "Halloween" releases a couple years ago. All the Best Buys in my area have drastically cut shelf space for movies and music. Their "horror" section is a joke.

Barnes and Noble is the only chain store I've seen carrying these. Target did get the 2 "Halloween" releases and maybe "The Funhouse" or "Terror Train" from around the same time but only on DVD and they haven't stocked any titles since.

20. Zombie Dude

I still fail to see the point of it all if at actor isn't recognizable. Maybe it helps sell films with famous faces but alot of the faces on these covers aren't recognizable actors to the average Joe. I don't think they dell any less of these if they changed their tune about the cover thing.