Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

wow, that's some deep shit for the upcoming shout factory releases thread. but seriously, good for you. GREAT for you. I'm always impressed by people when they come out, it seems like a pretty courageous, difficult thing to do. So colour me impressed. Too bad about your family issues, I hope things end up well in that regard. A friend of mine struggled with coming out to his traditional Italian parents. What made it more difficult was that his older brother had already come out several years earlier, and it had been difficult for his father particularly. Not in terms of actually caring for his son - he's a decent guy, and there was none of that - but rather in some misguided questioning of his own masculinity/parenting. It was kind of sad. But he (my friend) eventually told them, and it all ended up ok. My hope is that, much like my friend's parents, yours will prove to be more compassionate than you may expect (or fear).

...suddenly your appreciation of James Dean takes on a whole new dimension...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Also explains my love for ABBA. LOL. :lol:

Edit: Thanks MorallySound. ;) Nice pun haha.

~Matt

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing when reading that review. There is a disconnect between the star rating and what the reviewer writes. How does 'superb' translate into 3.5 stars? At least if you are going to shave off a star or two, explain--do the extras not stack up to a previous/concurrent release? Is it a matter of quality vs. quantity?

As it stands, the rating just seems random.

4. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

yeah. wasnt impressed with screenshots.. oh well, bring on the burning. hope thats better.

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Very happy for you, it takes much courage.
    I wish you well in sorting things out.

6. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Good for you man... very courageous. Great to see it's had a good impact.

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'm glad you asked because I too was confused thinking back to the anteater thread.

Glad you're free now Matt. Watch out though because Snowbeast323 might write one million love messages on your wall (if you recall CrazyFatEthel's).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  8. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

welcome to the club MAtt, the James Dean thing always made me wonder;-)

on to Shout....

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm excited about their horror stuff that comes out in a few days. Actually, the press guy from Shout said he was going to add me to the list and send me some review copies but I haven't seen them yet. I don't know if they just send screeners out to the big sites like Blu-ray.com or DVDTalk first, then to the smaller sites later. Maybe he just forgot, or he changed his mind. Anyone on here run a smaller site that gets review screeners know anything about this kind of stuff? I don't know, I emailed him last week and never heard back, so I figured he changed his mind, but then I got another email that was like "Attention press colleagues...", so I'm pretty confused.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

When it comes to judging the Video Quality of a release, blu-ray.com is very consisent and informative. Perhaps if you "actually read what they have to say" you would feel the same. ;)

11. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I've had more than one cashier look at me funny when I plop down a stack of horror DVDs alongside an ABBA CD or dance music compilation! Glad to know there's another kindred spirit out there! We like what we like. :D

Best of luck to you, Matt. I came out over 20 years ago and it was extremely difficult at the time but the weight off my shoulders was such a relief. It's amazing how much has changed and how more accepting people are in such a short time. Great to see so much support on this site.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I said the exact same thing in the related thread on Bluray.com. They reviews and scores are whack when it comes to horror films.

As for coming out, good for you man! No need to hide that shit these days, even if it is still unfortunately hard for some to accept. Times have changed, people need to change with them, and hopefully your parents realize this. I'm sure it's just a big change for them and they will just want what's best for you in the end.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Of course, Bluray.com deleted my post because they can't handle criticism. Not liked I attacked anyone, or was rude with what I said.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well I used to read them and found their reviews to be inconsistent. Now when I did decide to read this one, surprise surprise. Same shit.

And thanks again guys. It's nice to hear it. And sorry to everyone else lol. I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

~Matt

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I barely even post anything on that forum. There's just way too many useless threads and dumbass replies. They could ban me and I wouldn't really give a shit.

And I agree, their reviews are often inconsistent.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I've bought well more than 300 blu-rays and I've read the reviews at blu-ray.com for the vast majority of them. I can't think of one time they didn't nail the Video Quality part of the review.

I get the impression that some cult fans don't like blu-ray.com because they are too objective or technical in their reviews. If a cult favorite publisher like Shout Factory releases a cult favorite title like PHANTASM II, then nothing less than a 5/5 is acceptable. Because Shout Factory is awesome and so is PHANTASM II. Somehow giving anything PHANTASM II or Shout Factory less than a perfect score is uninformed hackery. Blu-ray.com tells me when a title uses DNR, has natural grain structure or exhibits "telecine wobble" and that's what is important to me. I'm not looking for them to give out gold stars to my favorite labels and films. I'm also not looking for their opinions of the films themselves. For those kind of reviews I consult Horror Digital, AVManiacs and RockShockPop.

I agree that their forum is shit.

17. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

they gave Halloween III's video quality a 3.5, come on. that was the best of the best shout transfers. awesome quality.. Btw. got my Timerider today. looks really good...

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I think that site is pure bullshit personally, I used to visit frequently for the first two weeks after I upgraded to blu, however I quickly got fed up with their elitist nonsense.
    The problem is many people reviewing obviously have disdain for the genre and the relevance these more obscure films have to the genre fans.
    It's like expecting a Julio Iglesias fan to impartially review the new Jimi Hendrix remasters.
    I always found DVDtalk and its offshoots far more entertaining and factual.

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

So how do you explain this only getting a 3.5 for extras when it is as stacked as possibly could be. What more would you want? Yet, just about all of their Criterion releases get a 4.5-4 for extras even the ones that just have a commentary, trailer and booklet. You are right, no Scream release is perfect, nor do they deserve 5 across the board, but give credit where credit is due. This reviewer has disliked every Scream movie that has come across his way, and I'm fine with his not liking the movie, but don;t bring down the scores in every other department. This definitely deserves a 4.5-5 for extras, nuff said.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I stopped reading them for the opposite reasons: too often they overlook problems if the movie itself has enough explosions in it as "demo material" and they make technical mistakes all the time.

All too often I read glaringly obvious mistakes about film and video on simple stuff like frame rates. Their review of The Phantom of the Opera was the last one I read because they obviously had no idea what the fuck they were talking about. Even claimed to consult "various sources."

They're also notorious for supporting excessive DNR and crying foul on natural grain levels. They do jump all over EE I'll give them credit for that. But their screenshots are also compressed so they're not even useful as true comparisons to other transfers. So their video reviews are completely worthless to me.

Basically if you want your man cave to impress frat boys read Blu-ray.com reviews. If you want a theatrical experience true to the film maker's intentions read Home Theater Forum.