Unrated my ass!

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Speaking on Friday the 13th, I find the Killer Cut to be worse and drag compared to the theatrical. Not sure if it's bloodier, but if so I doubt by much.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Haven't seen either of these, but from your description of the unrated material it sounds like maybe the unrated cuts were from pre-finished cuts - if that is the case, likely they submitted these to the MPAA prior to doing the final finishing colour/online edits and so when they got what cuts they needed to get them rated, they then finished the online processes to the rated cut rather than do that before and so they probably sourced that unrated footage from non-master pre-finsihed exports, which may not have been full resolution quality and they didn't go back to the raw and re-finish that material. Just a guess though.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, you won't have any problem finding the scenes the MPAA had trouble with...

hots4 likes this.
  4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

For me, the worst isn't so much the unrated gimmick, but the advertised "Alternate Ending" of Scream 3. I thought it might actually have an ending that made the movie better. A better killer? More than one killer? Something different than what we initially saw in theaters? Nope. It's the same ending shot at different angles. Pitiful.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Zombie Dude and Katatonia like this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

One of my favorites was Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III .... Unrated VHS.

Zombie Dude, Cooperkill and Katatonia like this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Interesting, why the VHS? Was it longer than the subsequent DVD and Blu-Ray?

Cooperkill likes this.
  8. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

Not to speak for baggio, but it's probably because the VHS was the first unrated release. I actually owned a copy on VHS that was transferred from my friend's Laserdisc. For me, the release mostly lived up to the hype, yet the film was still pretty tame compared to the controversy. For example, they reinstated the old woman choking on a pit, but left out Tex's rather disgusting reprisal as a burn victim.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's a shame the workprint was never release as there are some brutal extensions that are not shown in the unrated print.

Cooperkill, baggio and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well for me. It was my first Unrated VHS I bought/owned. At that time when I got it, DVD and certainly Blu was not even a thing yet. Back then, for that particular movie. I thought that was pretty special considering I used to read about cut scenes in Fangoria(I think). I know I didn't read that on the internet that's for sure.

Speaking of Fangoria. That was pretty much my goto for "info" on Horror films and the curiosity of scenes that were cut was born. Fangoria would obviously have reviews of films, and plenty of pictures. I can't tell you how many times I would see these films, and say.. hey wait... where was that scene or death, etc...? I could be wrong, but Fangoria didn't really show a picture and say underneath that.... This scene was cut in the final production. Or something to that effect. Maybe they did, but I don't remember that being a standard practice. Maybe someone here could answer that.

There's countless examples. But one that just hit me as I write this, was Friday the 13th Part 8. That picture of the boxer with the headgear. Both darts in his eyes. That scene was not in the theatrical release. You didn't even see him get killed.

Yes. Pretty much that too.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    hots4 and russweiss like this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man that sounds like my teenage years. Except often, I didn't even get to see the films! I didn't have cable, VCRs didn't exist, and it was almost impossible to convince my dad to take me to the movies I wanted to see.

As for why Fango had pictures that you didn't see in the movies, correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of those were stills shot with a separate camera, not necessarily a frame of the actual film. So the photos were taken long before the MPAA got their grubby little hands on the movies, and we all know what happened then.

baggio, russweiss and hots4 like this.
  13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My brother and I bought a VCR back in 1982 from Video Library (later became Blockbuster Video). Fangoria was 3-4 years old at that time. My most vivid memory during that period is Fangoria's coverage of My Bloody Valentine and the footage that had been removed. They had large color photos of violence cut from the film. When the film was released on DVD with the cut gore scenes I remember them being of lesser quality so you could tell what was originally removed. I still have the DVD even though the film has been upgraded on blu-ray a few times.

My Bloody Valentine 1981 Lobby blu, DVD A (2).JPG My Bloody Valentine 1981 Lobby blu, DVD B (2).JPG

baggio likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Going way back to Silent Night Deadly Night, that's another interesting one. I don't think I've ever seen the R-rated theatrical version because the VHS was already Unrated, and since it was all VHS quality the footage was seamless.

However, when it finally hit disc (from the Anchor Bay DVD to the Scream Factory blu-ray), they must have only had the negatives for the R-rated version because the Unrated scenes revert to VHS quality. It's really quite jarring, and a shame we can't see the entire movie in hi-def.

baggio, hots4 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes. I think you are correct on that. They were separate camera shots or alternate takes. I remember some stills of the sets too. So while it wasn't through the movie camera lens, it was picture of the scene/crew/actors.

This is a different topic(not about Fangoria) But about unrated in general. Do you(or anybody here) remember seeing any full Rated R version of any Horror film "slip through" on TV.

I swear that I saw the original Friday The 13th on regular TV (100% not cable). All the violence parts were kept in. Yes, on freakin rabbit ears TV I saw that full Kevin Beacon death scene. Other times, the hand comes around, Kevin's shocked look then cut to next scene. Why I swear by this? It was the first time I saw Friday the 13th. Like you we had no cable.

X-human likes this.
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yup, that happened! I remember when F13 first came on the local affiliate, they showed it a bunch of times, and one time I remember Annie's death in full glory, you see the knife go by her throat, and most times she just collapsed to the ground. But that one time, you got to see the wound open up and the blood gush out.

I don't think there's any nudity in the first F13, so that was never an issue.

Another time, I remember a local syndicated station showing Hell Night, and they left Seth's "Someone's trying to mindfuck us" completely intact.

X-human and baggio like this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Wow!

I don't think I ever brought that up here on this forum the whole time I've been a member. And anybody in my everyday life growing up just shrugged and said I don't know or remember. Yes, on F13 not having nudity. Even cursing, there really isn't much I think. Personally I didn't see Hell Night (back then). But that's interesting.

So it wasn't just me that remembers incidents like that or specifically Friday The 13th(seeing that R version on TV) :) I would be curious to hear/read other people if they have any similar stories.

"I saw what I saw, when I saw it"

- Lou Costello

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

There is brief nudity in the original Friday The 13th during Jack and Marcie's sex scene.

I think VI might be the only one without any nudity.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I believe it!

Frankenstein (1931)'s sound was edited in 1938 to obscure "Now I know what it feels like to be God," with a thunderclap over the line. When it aired in Chicago, it used an uncensored print. And it just so happens that a bright young lads was recording it on the only thing he could, a tape recorder. Then in the 80's with home video Universal said they only had a prints of the movie with the thunderclap. But the kid, now grown up, still had that recording of it and that's what they used to replace the sound on later in the 90's. I think that was Donald Glut but I can't find a reference to that so maybe I'm mistaken. (They've found a better recording since.)

Carnival of Souls was similar, it aired regularly on the East Cost from a workprint that turned out to be a longer cut than what was shown in the rest of the country and on early home video.

baggio likes this.