Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I really don't like Avatar and I think it's one of the most overrated and over hyped movies

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Alien 3 (assembly cut) > Aliens
    Deathproof is easily 10x the film Planet Terror is
    The Searchers is not a great western, not even a good one.
    The Duellists > Barry Lyndon
    Animated LOTR > Peter Jacksons LOTR
    70's King Kong > Peter Jacksons King Kong

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well I agree that Deathproof is better then Planet Terror- maybe not 10 times better though <:

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Haha you might not like The Searchers but to say it isn't a good movie is...I dunno. Wrong lol. It's a rather masterful film. Probably one of the best westerns ever made.

~Matt

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Wow, hard to believe it's been more than 6 years since I started this thread! I'm also pleased to know that I've grown and evolved as a film fan - a lot of my own 'unpopular opinions' have changed a bit since then!

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

well, he did say he thought it wasn't "a good western". so maybe he thinks it qualifies as some other type of film, at which it excels?

totally agree, though, The Searchers is fantastic. I like Rio Bravo better though...

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If you think I'm using hate speech then fine. Whatever. But just hold it against me, not against all other liberals. Can you do that? Thank you.

Maybe, I don't know, it's precisely because I am on friendly terms with lesbians on a regular basis that I feel comfortable enough saying the word "dyke". Miley Cyrus looks like a lesbian and as a hetero man I don't find her sexy. Just stating the obvious.

(And btw, dyke isn't really considered a slur anymore.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

He's got a pretty strong point, maybrick. if anybody known for being a bit right of center on here had said the same thing, they'd probably have been called out pretty vocally. Also, the argument that you have several gay friends doesn't really justify anything. it's pretty much the "some of my best friends are black" argument.

I'm not saying that you meant anything hateful by it, and it's completely understandable that within your social circles it might be a word that's been "reclaimed" and is seen as totally acceptable. furthermore, I understand exactly what you're trying to get across with the Miley Cyrus thing - that her goal appears to be a heterosexual sex symbol, but that her hairstyle, being one normally associated with lesbians, completely undermines that. that's pretty spot on.

but the truth is that the way you said it kind of bothered me too. I'm not gay, and I don't have a huge number of gay friends (although I do have a few), but equality and all that good stuff are definitely things I feel pretty strongly about. I guess my point would be that, while I'm 100% certain that no malice was meant on your part, it's pretty easy to misinterpret things online, and I think the way you said what you did could very easily be misinterpreted. which I think you probably knew right off, since you started defending what you said in the exact same post.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I totally get the context in which it was used and seriously people, come the fuck on. Lesbians have re appropriated that word it's largely no longer considered offensive. In fact, in Toronto during pride week there's a "dyke march".

He didn't mean it in an offensive way and it's true, Miley Cyrus has a stereotypically lesbian haircut. So does Jamie Lee Curtis and I too think she's less attractive because of it.

~Matt

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd have to agree, dyke hair is dyke hair. Regardless of the sexual orientation of the one who wears it.

But I like girls with short hair and I like girls with long hair. Miley's only recently caught my eye with the boy cut, but all the antics are a turn off. You can be classy or slutty; just don't be an idiot.

11. maybrick

It isn't just about words. Words by themselves are meaningless. It is all about intent. If somebody right of center used the word dyke then it almost certainly would have had completely negative connotations derived from religious belief.

That said, I've never really understood the lesbian desire to dress badly and the only conclusion I can come up with is that it's designed to repel the opposite sex. At least gay guys still dress like guys. If you're attracted to women then why would you want to date women that look like guys?

12. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

X-human...much respect lost my friend. Back in the day...Lois Ayres and LeeAnne Baker rocked the boy haircut 10x sexier than Miley. And they actually have woman bodies so when they sported the dudedo they didn't totally look like 12 year old boys.

13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hah. This is kind of true, I mean I use the word faggot all the time. But I can say it. But it's also a pretty grey area when straight people use it. My best friend (who is straight) calls me a fag as a joke and it doesn't bother me because I know he's not using it in a derogatory way.

Hell, I went on a date with this one guy a couple months ago. Wasn't into it. The guy was a total fag. ;)

~Matt

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

16. maybrick

On the surface, it seems as if using the word "dyke" is comparible to using the word "nigger", only it really isn't. Yes, both have been re-appropriated by their respective groups but African Americans have reclaimed it at a far lesser scale. Lesbians have groups that are officially called Dykes on Bikes and hold rallys like the aforementioned Dyke March. Have African Americans embraced the N-word to the point where they have "Niggers on Bikes" and hold "Nigger Marches"? I really don't think so. That'll be a long time coming.

"Queer" used to be derogatory as well. I guess straight people are doomed to always refer to that popular show as "Q Word Eye For the Straight Guy". :lol:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

One of the most celebrated and long-running LGBT-themed comics is entitled Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel.

18. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Well the thread is living up to its name at least. :lol:

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

No, they really don't.

And Chomp, stop being so :gay:

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Personally I have issues with the word "queer", I really don't know why people use it. It implies that there's something wrong with you. The gay community has fought for decades to dispel this misconception and when people say they're "queer" I feel it just sets us back about 50 years. I actually had someone say to me once, "I'm not gay, I'm queer." Like what the fuck are you then? Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, then...queer? I really don't get it. I had a friend say to me once that he's "gender queer" and doesn't believe in the male stereotype. And argued that because he identified as gender queer, he was part of the LGBT community. So you're born with a penis, you identify as male (not to confuse male with masculinity, they're totally separate entities) and you're attracted to women? Sorry that's a load of bullshit. There's nothing "queer" about you. This is the type of guy that posts pictures on instagram of him holding a rifle and smoking a cigarette, has sailor tattoos all over his arms and acts like a total "bro" around his guy friends. Gender queer? Oh please.

It's all this gender and sexuality studies that have blurred the lines to the point where nothing makes sense. Bisexuality even has its issues. I totally believe that bisexuality is a thing, but I find the amount of people who identify as bisexual are people who have maybe had one gay experience, or are maybe questioning themselves. Point is, you're gonna sway more one way than the other. I told myself that I was bisexual for a long time until I really had to face facts. I think it's a thing, but it's a very small amount of people who are truly bisexual.

Anyway I'll end my rant here.

~Matt