Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest Beatles fan, I don't have original albums or anything, but I do love them. I also have to agree with what you said. George Harrison's input in the music of the Beatles is vastly underrated. His solo career was proof enough that he could write music. (He was also the first former Beatle to have a hit when they all went solo with "My Sweet Lord"). Also, his use of the sitar on Revolver was said by Mick Jagger to be the inspiration for their use of it in "Paint It, Black" on the US edition of Aftermath. "Taxman" and "Here Comes the Sun" are some of my favorite Beatles songs. George Harrison. Great Beatle.

However, I guess this is an unpopular opinion. Since we're on the topic of The Beatles: According to a few of my friends, I have the worst taste in music because my favorite Beatles song is "Helter Skelter".

Love that fuckin' track.

~Matt

2. Zollman

Zollman New Member

Every 80's remake is better than the 50's original NO exceptions.

3. Spit

Spit Active Member

Texas Chainsaw Massacre the Next Generation, is one of the best TCM sequels.

4. Spit

Spit Active Member

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Hogwash. Overpopulation has been trumpeted by alarmists since before I was born (which is when that video looks like it was made).

The problem, as Lennon suggested, is distribution of resources and the inherent disparity. Too many people are crammed into insufficient living areas, while others have more land/food than they will ever need.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

How can that possibly be hogwash? The population has done nothing but grow since the beginning of Man. Whether or not we can sustain it. Do you really want to live in a world of 100 billion people because I sure don't. The worlds population when you were born was 4.37 Billion it's now 6.79 Billion. That's almost 2.5 Billion in 30 years. It's only going to grow faster and faster the more people there are.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I'm not saying that population doesn't grow. Of course it does. I'm saying it's not the problem.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Not in our country at any rate. You'd probably say something completely different if you lived in, say, India.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I've never bought into the "overpopulation" scare. Guess that's unpopular, too.

John Lennon was right! :glasses:

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't buy overpopulation either. They just have clusters of too many people crammed into certain areas. Look at Canada and Russia: vast, ridiculous amounts of unused land.

From NationalGeographic.com:

The Canadian Shield and rugged western mountains experience subarctic climates, resulting in a near empty north-an estimated 75 percent of Canadians live within 161 kilometers (100 miles) of the U.S. border.

World is over-populated? Fucking bullshit.

~Matt

11. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I love the Beatles and agree George was the best. He was not only the best song writer but the best on his instrument as well. You can put George Harrison's Dark Horse box set, which contains only a certain time period of his solo work, against John's career spanning box set and it Harrison's shines. IMO, the best Beatles song on any record is Long, Long, Long from the White Album.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow that's a lot of sex, too. Shit.

~Matt

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

What is your point? That where not going to run out of space in your life time? Even if we do all live up North obviously we are going to run out of space eventually and we will run out of resources not to mention enough farm land to feed all these people long before then. I don't believe the issue is as imminent as some others but I do think it's going to catch up with us in the next couple of centuries. The Population of the world in 1900 was 1.65 billion and it took us the history of the human race to reach that so 2.5 billion in 30 years just shows you how fast it's exploding. In 1950 the worlds population was 2.5 Billion.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's a ridiculous thing to say, IMO. The vast majority of Russia and Canada is uninhabitable to all but the absolute hardiest of people. You may as well claim that the world is underpopulated because nobody is living in Antarctica or below the surface of the ocean yet. :rolleyes:

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I've got a spare room that someone can move into. Can't use my shower, though. Bring your own sheets and towels, too.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Clearly our population growth is waaaay out of control. but what are you gonna do about? what can anyone do about it? the population is going to continue to grow until it reaches a point when it just cannot be sustained. and then we'll adapt. maybe we'll suffer a massive pandemic. maybe a nuclear war. maybe massive starvation across the globe (which is already happening in some areas) will wipe out a significant percentage of the population. in any way, what will happen will happen. what can i do about it? what can you do about it? im not going to have a boatload of kids, like some irresponsible fucks out there. i support political organizations that don't condemn the use of condoms in third world countries. what else can i do? what else can any of us do?

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Alright no we don't have to inhabit the northernmost areas of the country, but either way, 75% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border. There is still plenty of space to go around without ending up in the deep arctic. Quebec has tons of inhabited space. It's common sense to know that these "massive" amounts of people live in large clusters, leaving large portions of land unoccupied. And it's not land that is "uninhabitable". But these massive amounts of people clustered in what people refer to as "3rd world countries" live in uninhabitable land, would you not agree? Sure the arctic has freezin temperatures, but countries like Bangladesh, the Philippines and parts of India get ravaged by tropical storms. Sure the temperatures there are "livable", but how inhabitable is it to live in a county where your city or village is wiped out every few years due to tsunamis, tidal waves and hurricanes?

There is tons of land for people to live on, and not all of it is "uninhabitable".

I would agree, howeve that we are quickly using up our non-renewable resources. But overpopulation in terms of running out of available land for people to live on (if you want me to be specific about it) I think is a load of crap.

~Matt

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Just because there were 1.65 billion people in 1900 doesn't mean there weren't more than that centuries before. Maybe the world's population reached greater heights than in 1900 in centuries prior but was severely cut down due to wars, natural disasters, disease, famine, etc. A lot of things could have happened before recorded history, before people started writing everything down, calculating exact statistics, etc. We don't even have an exact number of deaths from the Holocaust (some say 1 million, some say 9 - pretty big difference) and that only happened 65 years ago, how much can we trust reports of population from 1900 or 1700 or 550 BCE? How do we know they weren't off by a couple billion in 1900?

~Matt

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Where is Hitler when you need him? :) Seriously though I'm not sure what we can do about it. The other day my GF's aunt told me she thought it was selfish for couples to not have children. If that's the attitude people have then we are all doomed!

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The only time the worlds population took a temporary slight dip was I believe after either WW1 or WW2 and possibly during the Black Plague but other then that it's been growing steady throughout history.

http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/worldpopulation.htm