Unpopular opinions!

Discussion in 'General' started by _pi_, Nov 6, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Touchy touchy touchy. And *I'm* on my high horse?

You sir, in my opinion, have just uttered an unpopular opinion - which in the context of this thread is appropriate. Just because you've uttered that the plot is threadbare doesn't make it so. I'm sorry that bothers you. So go take a chill pill. :lol:

Now go relax and have some fun. :D

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Nice deflection. :rolleyes:

No, I'm pretty sure that most people other than you would agree that the plot of Halloween is far from "complex". Most likely even Carpenter himself would agree with the statement if you asked him. But to reiterate, subtext isn't the same as plot. Just because a river isn't wide doesn't mean it can't also be deep.

3. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

maybrick and dwatts are too sensitive. Is that an unpopular opinion?:p

4. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Halloween and TCM are both classics in the genre in my opinion, but Halloween is my favorite movie of all time.

5. maybrick

Probably not, but since I'm not offended by your statement I guess I can't be that sensitive. ;)

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

And just to reiterate - you can take any film and reduce its plot to something threadbare, as everyone knows. Now, what was the point of that? :lol:

Stop looking for drama in a thread that is full of potential material - but has thus far gone just fine with it. I don't need to deflect anything, you're acting strangely, I'm simply not in the mood to make that my problem. ;)

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I actually think Halloween has too much plot. They should of started the film With Laurie looking out the class room window and seeing a masked guy out there staring back at her. No need to even show him escape from the hospital or kill his Sister. Just make him even more of an evil force, where no one knows where he came from or what he wants. That would have made him even more of a boogeyman.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Actually, I could go for that. Especially given his later supernatural elements. If you watch the film today, those scenes - while interesting enough - do seem almost to be part of another film. Still, one mans poison etc.

Mind you, the sister murder is quite important and iconic, so I'd hate to see that go. It's the plot element that introduces the family issues etc. We'd also have no ending for Part IV. :lol:

9. maybrick

Uhhh.... me acting strangely? This all started with a comment I made in relation to something Damed said that I thought was pretty neutral towards both movies and then you butt in to start an argument over something completely off topic. Who really cares if you can take "any" film and reduce it's plot? We weren't talking about "any" film, we were comparing TCM to Halloween. Not Halloween to Lord of the Rings. Not Halloween to The Godfather. TCM to Halloween. Or do you really believe that Halloween has that much more "plot" than TCM? That was my point: not that Halloween's plot was threadbare or full of symbolism, but that it didn't have any more (or less) than TCM. But I guess either that was lost on you from the get-go, or you never cared just as long you were once again able to smugly use your daily quota of :lol: and :D to mock somebody.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

You know- I can totally see that. Agree with that. But then, I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre is clearly superior.

Some of the plot in Halloween doesn't matter. Some of the dialogue doesn't make a difference. But the movie is still one of the most effective horror movies ever made.

As for him being the real boogeyman... I think everything else we saw was just a cause to distract us. The extra plot and establishing scenes.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

fight fight fight!!! [​IMG]

12. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

The wall has won. Well done, I give in, the sound of echoes has me down on my knees. :lol:

I'm not sure I care whether TCM or Halloween is the better film. That'll simply be the personal feelings of whomever is writing. They're both classics - and there are a numbr of people on here who think one or the other, or even both, are over-rated. Given the thread title, it's an appropriate place to say it. These threads are always less fun when someone takes them too seriously and gets bent out of shape - that hadn't happened until now. Still, it was fun while it lasted.

13. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

Is not the fact that so many people believe that Halloween and TCM are "overrated" a testament to their clear superiority over so many other films?

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Not to mention those people's embarrassingly bad taste. What kind of legit horror fan really thinks that they are overrated? Only casual fans or non horror fans may think that, but they don't know shit about real horror.

That's my unpopular opinion, even though it's 100% true. :evil:

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If that means they are superior, I would very much like to think so.

But I guess, if you look at it from the other side of the coin... There is no real evidence to show that they are two of the best horror films ever made. Just conviction on the part of a lot of people I would say have superb taste.

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Well each and every horror fan on this board has a different Top 10, so that would make each and everyone of us guilty of thinking at least a couple of classics are in general ranked higher then we think they should be. So it's not surprising that some of us would think one or both of these films are overrated. It doesn't mean we don't enjoy them, it just means we wouldn't rank them as high as others.

Saying that, I would agree that any "legit horror fan" should find at least some kind of appreciation of both these films, be it in either there technical aspects and or historical significance.

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

of course, but..

Yes. I mean anyone that thinks those films are garbage or do not get what all the fuss is about, I wouldn't call them a horror fan.

That would be like a self-proclaim film buff calling Stanley Kubrick a hack or something retarded like that.

Better yet, someone saying that they are a huge heavy metal fan, but they can't stand Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden. It just doesn't make any sense, if you don't like Sabbath and Maiden then you are not a metal fan period. They don't have to be your favorite bands ever or anything, but you can not be a metal fan AND completely not like them at all.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  18. Damed

Damed Guest

I respect what TCM did for the genre, and the example/inspiration it set forth - it just doesn't do it FOR ME, so I find it over rated (my opinion) as it doesn't do it FOR ME.

Everyone's tastes are different.

19. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

But personal taste is something completely different from objective fact.

Sure, everyone on this board has a "different Top 10", but that doesn't really mean anything, right? I mean, someone who has Cannibal Campout in their personal Top 10 and who hates Halloween can argue on personal preference, but they can't argue in terms of objective comparison, right?

I have found that people base their entire perception of film almost entirely on what they "like" (subjective) and rarely ever view things from an objective (formalist) perspective. A subjectivist is one who will forever be involved in message board "X movie sucks/X movie is better" debates because by a subjectivists very nature, you can't judge art (in our case, horror films).

There aren't many people who are true formalists and divorce themselves from emotional attachments such as enjoyment and look at a film on all levels. Not everything is relative, in my opinion, and art can definitely be judged on many levels.

All these "debates" ever come down to is whether or not someone is subjective or formal in how they view film. Maybe everybody should just state their position and there will probably be a lot more understanding and less bickering :)

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Can you let me know where the official "formalists" Mathematically calculated Horror Top Ten Is, based on a stringed objective formula? Is there a web site I can go to because I'm never seen it. Or do you mean your Top 10?