Universal rebooting the classic monsters series with Dracula Untold???

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

2. zombiehorror

zombiehorror Member

Although Dracula is the first to get his reboot, it is actually the upcoming Mummy reboot that will spearhead the collective Universal Monster universe; A shared universe similar to the Marvel/Avengers universe. Seems odd that Dracula Untold wouldn't be the first in the new series since the new take will be fresh on movie going minds but all that I've read points to The Mummy reboot.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Ah yes I stand corrected. It was on the Wiki site as being the launch, but consulting the sited source, it appears that the article was misinterpreted.

4. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Either way, that movie looks like shit. Leave the Universal Monsters alone. They got them right the first time.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I won't watch that video game even if it appears for free on Netflix.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I can just see all the overdone, busy CGI and the teal/orange/sepia/gray "cinematography" right now...pretty much unlike the movies that are coming out now. Oh, and throw in some angst ridden youngsters who look like they spent hours in the makeup/hair trailer and gym...there you go: eat and be merry. No thanks, studios. Suck it.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Anyone watch this? Seems to be doing fairly well at the box office. I had two tickets (bought Frankenstein and Creature on BD and they had tickets). I must say, I liked the movie. Not really horror at all, kind of felt like a super hero movie in a way. lol. They took the Vlad the Impaler story and meshed it with him becoming an actual vampire. The story seemed to move kind of fast, perhaps there will be an extended cut for home video(?), at least the first part. The movie ends at present day, so it could easily tie in with Universal's other monster reboots. I thought it was pretty decent and will get it on blu-ray.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm done with Dracula films that make the character sympathetic and romantic. I want to see a version where he's the scary and vicious rapist/murderer that he is like in the original text.

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Yeah caught a bit of the trailer and thought it was for a war action videogame. Then it said Dracula and I heard that it might be the start of the reboot. That's a big no for me.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

never seen it but bought the dvd today at a pawn shop for 75 cents looks brand new lol

12. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I just recently watched it. I thought it was decent. It reaked of studio tampering though and it should have been an R rated movie. Also, Luke Evans is a badass.

fceurich39 likes this.
  13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i picked up the blu ray during a boxing day sale, and enjoyed it waaaay more than i thought i would. which is to say, moderately. i'm mildly interested in where this "franchise" goes from here...

14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I think this is on one of the cable channels now. I'm going to check it out. But I love the way Penny Dreadful is handling the older horror characters. From what I've seen of this new Dracula. I don't think I'm going to like it. Same goes for the upcoming Mummy which I think is modern day. That's just not going to work unless they use older looking or still classic designed cities yet in modern times. The cast seems good though. But with Tom Cruise's need to entertain a priority over making something classic. I don't see myself getting that excited. I'm surprised we haven't seen a photo or teaser yet. Just odd filming shots that I see in searches.

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

It was fun time waster. Nothing more, nothing less for me.

Kind of interested in the Tom Cruise Mummy movie for some reason.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It could certainly be a new direction for Tom Cruise, especially since my understanding is that he will be The Mummy. For a lot of the names being tossed around like Angelina Jolie for Frankenstein this could also be a new direction.

But that's why I especially doubt it. Universal's only solid success so far was with the Brandon Frasier Mummy series. So to reboot a series, known to modern audiences as an adventure epic with supernatural action in the same vein as Indiana Jones, with an actor primarily known as an action hero means that a return to its Gothic horror roots is unlikely. Which for me is what Universal Horror is best known for.

Yeah the Gothic touches will be sprinkled in here and there, with a CGI delivered gross out or two I'm sure, but the trend has been made clear with Dracula Untold; they want action epics and everything else is second. The fact that they're comparing these so much to Disney's Marvel franchise is enough.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

here we go:

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

a trailer for a trailer? yeesh.

i see tom cruise is doing his intense running again, though.

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It doesn't even need The Mummy as a title.

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what to think of this. Usually these kinds of movies feel generic. What is this genre anyway; action horror?

My thoughts are, Tom Cruise is usually good in his roles so that's a plus, and I like that they're mixing it up with having the Mummy as a woman. I also dig her design/costume. I hope it'll be good but I'm not holding my breath.