Unfriended (2015)

Discussion in 'General' started by Anthropophagus, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I could not help but notice this did ok business at the box office, however the trailer sets a new low for craptastic IMO.
    Anyone here actually venture out to see this? Watchable? Worth it?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw it at the movies and thought it was watchable, but not really worth watching. The entire movie is the main girl's computer screen, so I was glad I only caught the $5 matinee. It's not really worth seeing in the theater. I almost wish I'd seen it on a laptop at home. They did a good job recreating the computer interface though.

Aside from the f-word, it's a strictly PG-13 affair. Violence is offscreen or brief glimpses. I'd say it's probably on par with The Gallows. Gallows has better atmosphere / scares, while Unfriended had more interesting (although still very unlikable) characters, but both movies are just found-footage style gimmicks that aren't really worth watching. Both movies should have gone straight-to-video.

I definitely wouldn't want to own it. I'd say catch it on NetFlix or HBO if you must. It's kind of like watching a viral video, you probably shouldn't pay to watch it.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I actually really enjoyed this one and I'm not the biggest fan of found footage. I liked the idea of being there on someone's computer screen with them as all the weirdness unfolds. The story and acting was pretty solid too as it felt rather genuine. The film makers definitely utilised this concept well and I was happy it felt like a complete story unlike some FF flicks that are all over the place and don't have endings (probably thanks to the Blair Witch).

If I could pick it up for around $10 I'd happily add it to the collection.

4. sade

sade Active Member

I'm avoiding this one just based on the title :)

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I liked it, thought it wouldve been much better if they had snipped off the last 5 to 10 seconds

6. Anthropophagus

Thank you.
    I will give it a watch. I must say it seems like a compelling premise. I don't know why but my feeling going into this is it could have been a really fantastic 30-40 minute segment on a horror anthology film.
    Not sure I'll be able to handle ninety minutes of computer screen, but my interest is piqued.

7. Zombie Dude

I thought the same thing and was surprised that I enjoyed it. It's more memorable than the new Fantastic Four.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Wife and I saw it in theaters. It was worth a watch but I don't think it'll have much replay value. It was definitely better than it had any right to be!

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'm going to see it eventually. I've read a lot of mixed feelings on it. But I still want to see for myself on this movie.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I worked a film festival back in April, and Unfriended was also playing in the same theater. I watched some of it from the booth, it looked ok. But it also looked like a movie you do NOT need to see on the big screen, in fact it might even be best to watch it on your computer monitor instead of your HDTV

11. Zombie Dude

Yea I definitely think you get a better effect watching this one at home.

12. Anthropophagus

I watched it last night and enjoyed it.
    However, I agree it has no replay value and it's kind of hard to believe this was not direct to video, it seemed like a zero budget effort.
    A few of the scenes were obviously derived from some real life cyber bullying cases that resulted in teen suicide, one scene in particular made me feel quite uncomfortable.
    If this film can be taken as cautionary tale against cyberbullying by what I'm sure was a primarily teen demographic something good will have come of it, I'm not holding my breath though.

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Watched it this weekend. It was surprisingly intriguing for the first half but then got fairly predictable.

14. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

Felt it was a waste of time, cgi flash at end was laughable.
    Did not like or feel connected to any of the characters.

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

The ending indeed undermined the entire premise.

16. Zombie Dude

I liked the end as she deserved it for what she had done to her friend and how she had handled the "game". Plus you kind of forget she's sitting in a room by herself in the dark so it felt really creepy as it just reminded me of sitting in the dark with my own laptop.

17. CPT HOOK

The sequel hits theaters this Friday.

Apparently theaters are being sent two different versions, each with a different ending.

18. Zombie Dude

[​IMG]

19. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I thought I posted a review of the original here. Maybe it's in that October topic. I'll probably pass on the sequel. I saw the trailer and it seemed to be more of the same. I think one of the actresses from Get Out is in this sequel. But that's probably all it has going for it.

20. CPT HOOK

I used MoviePass to see Unfriended: Dark Web this afternoon. It's a rainy Saturday afternoon here and the theater lobby was PACKED... but none of them were there to see Unfriended apparently. I had the entire theater to myself, which is one of my favorite things ever. In that regard, I'm really glad I went. Plus, got to see trailers for Hell Fest and Halloween on the big screen. CANNOT WAIT!

As for the movie, it's more of the same. The horror and scares are far less effective this time around. Or in my case, non-existent, because I felt nothing. No dread, no suspense, nada. The pacing seemed a bit slower as well. All of the kills are forecast by the movie literally telling you "hey, this person is about to die" 30 seconds before they die. And even then, the kills are all pretty weak.

Where this sequel does succeed is the characters, as they are all far more likable and engaging this time around. As generic as the movie may be, I liked the characters enough to where I wasn't bored. So it held my interest.

If you're gonna watch it, you should probably watch it at home on your laptop. I'd imagine it's more fun that way. I'm really glad I caught it in theaters, because again, it was MoviePass free and I had an entire theater to myself. Perfect theater going experience. But should you see it in a theater... probably not.

As mentioned previously, there are apparently two endings to the movie, and it's random as to which ending you'll get.

In the ending I saw:
    Matias is buried alive, and his deaf girlfriend is unable to save him because she can't read his lips.

I looked up the other ending, and apparently:
    Matias is hit by a truck and his girlfriend is abducted.

fceurich39 likes this.