Ultra HD Blu-ray Announced: 4K, HFR and HDR

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, May 17, 2015.

1. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I have a 32" TV, and I have a blu ray player and have had since 2009, but I don't buy many films on blu ray, because there is little difference between blu ray and DVD, I still buy most films on DVD because they are cheaper and look just as good. And it's not just on my 32" TV, I have watched blu rays and DVD's on my parent's 55" TV just to compare to my 32" TV and there is practically no difference between DVD and Blu ray on a 55" HDTV either. I don't see what good a new Super BLu ray FOrmat will do, I'm definitely not buying it but that's just me, Blu ray is the last physical format I will ever collect, but I do not like digital, so I hope they keep making DVD and Blu ray forever, but I refuse to buy a new format, that will like others have said, probably never release the classic titles on it anyhow. I'm not waiting 10 years for a release of Vampyros Lesbos on Ultra Blu ray, if it EVER comes out, when I can buy it right now on blu ray or DVD, and plus what's the point is it ever going to really look any better than the new releases from Severin, the answer is no.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Sorry, calling bullshit on there being no difference between DVD and Blu-ray on a 55" (if it's hooked up correctly through HDMI). I'll give you that the increased clarity is harder to see on a 32", but I challenge you to watch something like say, the Road Warrior on DVD on your parents' 55" and then pop in the blu-ray on the 55" and then say there is no difference. If there is no difference between a DVD and its blu-ray counterpart, then you either have things hooked up wrong (some blu-ray players still have composite outputs) or the company who put out the blu-ray did a subpar job and slapped a standard def transfer onto a blu-ray disc, such as Troma's recent Rabid Grannies debacle.

As for this new format, blu-ray will probably be the end of the road for me, unless it's discontinued and I have no choice but to start buying the next format. I don't see myself owning a TV big enough to benefit from the increased resolution of Ultra. That being said, I always welcome anything that brings the theater experience closer to home and this is definitely a step in that direction.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree. The difference between DVD and blu-ray is staggering. I reference the Twilight Zone series as my ultimate example. The 4K TV's I've seen are amazing, I just am fond of too many catalog titles that will probably never get the bump up to UHD to invest right away. I want to see which studios are on board with this. Also, what are the B&M stores going to do? DVD's currently dominate the physical media space. How is that going to work?

4. horrorlover

I think people just THINK there is this huge difference between blu ray and dvd because they feel they have to justify it since they spent $1000 on a super HDTV and a blu ray player and spent all that extra money on blu ray discs, but I did that, and I feel I wasted all my money, I've seen them on a 55" TV and I'm not stupid I know how to hook things up with an HDMI cable, and there is little difference, and I only buy blu rays now if they are cheaper than the DVD, I was all had to have everything on blu ray when I got my blu ray player, but when I compare the lbu ray to a DVD now I notice very little difference and I figure why pay $10 more for a very minor difference. I don't watch a film to spot some hidden object in it anyhow, I'm just watching a movie, I don't look for some needle sitting on a desk in the background.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Granted, up converted DVDs can look really good, but if on a 55" screen you can't see an immediate difference between that and a blu ray:

1) you bought a budget TV at Wal Mart with an inferior panel
    2) you've incorrectly calibrated the video settings
    3) you need glasses.

Choose one or more.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, there's definitely something wrong somewhere. Maybe it's a cheap 720p display or something, or the player isn't outputting the HD signal correctly, but I find it hard to believe that someone can't see some major differences between most Blu-rays and upconverted DVDs

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This. Bluray is usually noticeably better. I should probably check my settings though as I don't think I've ever played with them. My TV looks great displaying HD though IMO.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Even though the player is connected with HDMI, you still have to change the resolution to 1080p. I have a friend that complained about the same thing, so I went into the settings on his BD player, and it was set at 480p :D
    After changing to 1080p, he was blown away by the upgrade.

You really should start noticing the big difference on an 40 inch screen, and at 55 inch, the huge upgrade should be impossible to miss.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

4) you are watching from like 100 feet away.

Just thought of that.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not piling on or anything. I respect your opinion, I just got a couple of questions.

Is your TV 720p or 1080p? And may I ask what brand is your TV and what brand is your Blu-ray player.

Also you mention not noticing much if any a difference from DVD to Blu-ray. I'm taking a guess that you are watching the DVD's on your Blu-ray player and NOT a separate DVD player. Correct? Because your Blu would be up converting any DVD you have. Now of course it's not making them Blu's but it's a slight upgrade to watching them on a standard DVD player.

Next and final question. When you talk about not noticing differences are you actually comparing the same movie in 2 different formats? Like you watch Die Hard on DVD and then watch the Blu? Or are you just saying any Blu movie you bought doesn't look that much better, but have nothing to compare it to?

Because I suggest you go and try a Game of Thrones Blu, and tell me if it doesn't look good on a 1080p screen. The picture is outstanding, it will blow your mind.

11. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I really have no desire to upgrade past blu-ray quality. I could have sworn that blu-ray's had uncompressed audio and video, so I really don't see how you could go any further with an older film.

It took me nearly a decade just to replace my receiver so that I could use Dolby TrueHD. A good receiver would cost 1/4th of the price of a huge 4K TV.

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I have a decent setup (PS3, $600 Yamaha receiver, "55 Samsung LCD). Both the TV and receiver are less than 2 years old. I watch just as much VHS as I do Blu-ray. IMO, the difference between watching an HD master on Blu-ray versus DVD rarely adds much to the experience. I could watch the DVD that comes in most of these combo packs and get the same amount of enjoyment from the film. I watched TRANCE with Rosario Dawson on DVD last weekend. It looked fantastic. I could make out every detail of Rosario's vajayjay even in SD. There are some blu-rays where I momentarily get distracted by the extreme amount of detail in certain textures but that rarely adds to my enjoyment of the experience. It's just a short distraction.

I love Blu-ray because it forced content makers to create better transfers, but I just don't care if it is on BD, DVD or streaming. A quality 2k transfer looks great no matter the format. There are some exceptions but not for the majority of the films I watch.

I usually find myself being more impressed with the enhanced sound than the picture.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

THE FACTS ABOUT ULTRA HD BLU-RAY AND EVEN JUST BLU-RAY (that most people in this thread seem to ignore and instead are bitching about DVD and Blu-ray picture quality)

FACT: You WILL need a TV with 4K or higher resolution and a Ultra HD Blu-ray player to take advantage of Ultra HD Blu-ray when it comes out. So if you're sticking with your 1080P or standard def tube TV, Ultra HD Blu-ray of course is NOT for you.

FACT: A max standard of 8K (Full UHD) has been set and approved as a display format for over 10 years already by broadcasters, so this isn't just a sudden jump/change, but it's been a gradual and inevitable outcome/future.

FACT: The majority of new content (movies, TV, etc.) are originally produced at resolutions of 4K or higher, so Ultra HD and Ultra HD Blu-ray is generally geared towards CURRENT content, and not necessarily older content. Most likely we will being seeing UHD re-issues of big studio classics on the format and not cult films for the older title selections. Sure, you could potentially see films like Madman hit UHD since they were scanned at 4K, but it's more-so unlikely that we will see films that already made it to Blu-ray that were scanned at 2k (ex. Satan's Blade) instead of 4K or higher being re-scanned and re-released, especially since the collector market for cult/genre/older films is basically - as argued about here - still stuck in the DVD vs. Blu-ray picture quality "war", which...

FACT: ...is already won - Blu-ray will - 99.9% of the time - looks vastly superior to DVD. But you need to have a proper calibrated and configured set up to take advantage of any format over another. And you need a 1080P set up to take advantage of Blu-ray. 720P TVs will not do, sorry.

FACT: Blu-ray is NOT an uncompressed format. It is ALWAYS a compressed format. To put in perspective, max size for a normal Blu-ray is 50 GB TOTAL DISC SPACE. Average size for a 90-minute feature film exported in one industry standard codec (Apple ProRes 422) at a resolution of 1290x1080 (1080P) out of an non-linear editing program (ie. Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere) is 200+ GB. So compression is inevitable, but if done right should look just as good.

FACT: If you complain that Blu-ray makes movies (shot on film) look too clear and you can "see too much" and you prefer to watch your cult classics on VHS or DVD over a high definition restored version, that's your nostalgia and not a fault of the transfer/format. And don't get me wrong, I love nostalgia - and still own around 1000 VHS - but that's not a valid reason for arguing about picture quality. Those movies were shot to be projected on a giant screen in a theatre on crystal clear film originally, so... yeah.

14. horrorlover

my TV is 720p Sanyo from 2008 I bought an HDTV early on, my blu ray player is a PS3, I watch DVD's on my PS3 too. oh no, I'm not comparing the same movie in 2 different formats. Just comparing movies, they all look good dvd and blu ray is what I mean. Now I don't mean all dvd's look good, some look like shit I know, but, but I mean the good encoded blu rays, from Blue Underground, and Synapse, and Severin, and companies like that look great, just as good as blu rays.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Thank you for the response.

Now that it is established that you have a 720p HDTV, I have some news for you. You are not, I repeat NOT getting the full effect from your Blu-ray player.

You are not watching ANY Blu-ray at full 1080p output. Your TV cannot handle it. Your TV is actually down converting to 720p. (even if you have it hooked up with hdmi) And I have some other news, your PS3 games would look a whole lot better too if you had a 1080p screen.

Trust me, I know. I had a XBOX 360 and a Blu-ray on 720p TV before I upgraded to a 1080p screen. Prepare yourself for a difference. Was like whoa!, my games looked better and the Blu's looked better. Now I understand why your opinion of Blu's isn't so great, no worries it's a common mistake.

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Droppin' the science in this thread, like whoa.

17. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

What's better (all 80s variety)

Kelly LeBrock in real life
    Kelly LeBrock VHS edition with added tracking errors
    Kelly LeBrock at 8K (Super UHD)
    Kelly LeBrock in the Holodeck from Startrek doing whatever you fancy...

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's not Kelly LeBrock now, that's for sure (hence your "all 80s" stipulation)

[​IMG]

19. horrorlover

thank you for the response Baggio, I did not know it made much difference from 720P to 1080P on a 32" screen. I have seen 32" 1080P screens for sale though. because of my living space I am unable to get a huge TV for my living room.

20. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It's ironic that you mention Kelly LeBrock. The WEIRD SCIENCE Blu-ray is so bad your are better off sticking with the DVD.

I'll take 80's Kelly LeBrock in the Holodeck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]