TV Series: She Wolf of London

Discussion in 'General' started by addicted2dvd, May 15, 2011.

1. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

Hey Everyone...
    Earlier this month I made a blind purchase of a werewolf TV Series... She-Wolf of London...

[​IMG]

What little I did look into this series I seen it ran 2 seasons (very short second season). And in season 1 it was called She-Wolf of London but in season 2 they moved the series to LA and renamed the series Love and Curses.

I was basically just wondering if anyone here is familiar with this series... and wondering if it is any good... or did I waste some money on this one?

If it isn't too good I can't complain much. I only spent about $10 on the set... which contains all 20 episodes of the series made.

Thoughts?

2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I only know what I learned from Obscurus Lupa's amusing video review.
    She seems to be under the impression that the first season is very engaging but that Love & Curses goes downhill very fast leading to a well-justified cancellation.

3. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

Appreciate the info!

Season 2 must really go downhill very fast... after all season 2 seemed to only last 6 episodes.

4. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I just went ahead and watched the pilot episode. It is tough to go by just the one episode. But so far so good. I definitely enjoyed this first one. And I am looking forward to checking out some more of the series.

I am a bit curios where this series originated from. I don't know if it is a US series or a series that originated in the UK. I mainly wondering because the first episode did show a bare butt of a male actor and the side boob of the main character which makes me think it may not originally been a US series as you don't tend to see that stuff on basic TV channels.

Transformation to the werewolf is ok... I guess especially for the time (1990)... you really didn't get to see to much of the transformation and only quick cut looks of the werewolf. And so far at least... no blood and gore what so ever.

But as I said... so far I am enjoying the show. It is worth continuing the viewing at this point.

5. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

The original intro for the first season is not used on any of the episodes, it's only on you tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq5bSoDWh-M

They use the love ad curses intro for all the episodes on the dvd, I haven't heard the love and curses into, but Igenerally think fans like the original intro, which they should of used on the first season episodes, it's now only on you tube, worth a look.

Hey you found a original viewer at the time. I live in London, England, and I clearly remember watching this series's first season, what caught my attention was British actor Neil Dickson who was Biggels in the film Biggles, also set in London back in time. I think either the show was aired on Sky 1 or BBC2,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Wolf_of_London
    This series was kinda like Buffy the Vampire Slayer before Buffy, as Neil Dickson could of easily have played Rupert Giles on Buffy, great actor, and easily could of played a Watcher on Buffy, don't see much of him these days, and there is a female lead, so looking back, this was kinda ahead of its time in terms of premise and focus on female leading characters.

I do wanna rewatch this series, because my memories of it are limited since it ran a short life and not sure how many episodes I saw. I gotta say thanks for the thead, and you picked a real good find here, something that I would of done a thread on at some point, but even I have almost forgotten the series as Buffy reminded me of it to a point where i forgot about it. But it's a undiscovered gem on dvd. It will be like watching it fresh as apart from remember the leads, and maybe even the intro music, I need to watch this series again to refresh my memories.

Once again, thanks for the thread, I really do wanna look this series up and see/find out more info, if the dvd has extras/commentrie,s or maybe there's something on the web about it, it really does bring back some pleasant memories. Before Star Trek next genertation peaked interest in sci-fi, and the X files created alot of contenders and copies for the genre in the 90s, She Wolf of London was very unusual and nothing quite else was around at the time, not even the rebooted outer limits. The Slyvester Mccoy Doctor Who Series had ended, so this show was pretty much out at a time with the genre of scii fi and the cult at a all time low until Star Trek the next generation and X Files kickstarted a new wave, that and this series not going on longer, probabley is why it's kept in the shadows until the great dvd tv series boxset era has dug it up for fans of today.

I think this show fed off that whole Amercian Werewolf in London cult success in the 80s, it kinda made Werewolfs and London a organic beast, so to have She Wolf of London, you have wereworlf and London together again in a different guise. American grad student Randi Wallace comes to London means another Amercian in London, this show got in the Amercian Werewold continuation before that film American Werewolf in Paris. What is it about Amercian Werewolfs when they come to Europe, it's a fashion or interest mix of culture clash with world wide monster identity thanks to American Werewolf in London.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0388082/
    Kate Hodge-is now about 45, a beautifult talent, also a producer.

She had a good run in the early 90s, She Wolf, The Hidden 2, and Rapid Fire with Brandon Lee. And then popped up on tv shows on guest stints ever since.

This show definately was ahead of times, and aired on the sort of networks-UPN and WB that buffy the vamplre slayer would help become successful, plus Angel in the latter 90s.

Good stuff, gonna order a copy ASAP.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I just watched the second episode. Where I learned what was said above. It being about more then werewolves... that it is much like series such as The X-Files.

The second episode is about a cursed corpse that was found in the bog. They called him a bogman. A pretty good episode. The series is keeping my attention... and I am still looking forward to continue watching the set.

7. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Feels like a combination of Buffy and X files before they came, just less vampire action and that unique aura and atmosphere that you can only get when you film in England/that hammer horor/american werewolf in London history.

8. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I just finished watching the 3rd episode. And I must say... I loved this episode. My favorite yet. This one is about the Randi (the She-Wolf) hoping to find a cure when they are told about another werewolf which seemed to drop off the face of the earth. They (conveniently) quickly track him down to an asylum. Which they go to in hopes for a cure.

This episode we get a much better look at the werewolf which is cool. The gore that this one showed was so downplayed that it didn't even look real for a second. The werewolf tears off a guy's arm and throws it to the side. Yet there is no blood what so ever. Basically looked like a life-sized dummy's arm being tossed to the side.

Despite the bad gore... as I said... I loved every minute of this one.

And yes SEANVALEN.... I know what you mean about the atmosphere... completely agree.

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

Episode 4 is done now. Pretty much just an average episode... which is a little of a letdown after such a great one. I thought this to be a Halloween episode as they mention Halloween more then once. But turned out they were talking about Halloween being the day that just passed... But they were celebrating something else which I can't say I remember what it was now.

There is one more episode on this disc so think I will finish this disc off tonight. Then I will put the set up for a bit so that it lasts me a little longer. If not at this rate I will have the entire set done within the next day or two.

10. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

The fifth episode is about a Succubus. This one I enjoyed quite a bit. Definitely better then the last episode. And it even had a couple of scenes with a touch of gore.

As I said above this completes the first season and I am now going to put the set up for a little while. I am enjoying it... but as I said... I want the set to last me more then just a couple days.

11. killit

killit Active Member

I think she starred in leatherface too

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I believe she did star in LEATHERFACE.I've always liked her.

The show was VERY hard to catch in syndication(spotty releasing,crappy timeslots) when it first ran but I saw it on occassion.I seem to recall the British set run being more entertaining than the L.A. season.Seems from my sketchy memory that the American based ones were somewhat lighter and sillier.At it's best though the show was fun genre fare with some MOONLIGHTING style sparring between the (very likeable) leads.

Was there some sort of rights issue involving music for the DVD release or am I thinking of something else ? Also,wasn't Neil Dickson the title character in the movie BIGGLES ? Wish that would get a decent Region 1 release.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  13. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

On the back of the case it lists the current TV Series Fringe for the female lead. I never watched that show either... but it seems to be what she is currently doing.

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I have actually had a copy of this series on DVD-R forever now! I had it before this official release, since my brother in law is a fan and had a copy off the original run. He wanted to introduce me to it. Sadly, I still haven't watched it, but this thread has me thinking about it again! I also want to pick up Werewolf at some point, that is a series I do remember and haven't watched in years.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  15. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090729/
    Yeah Biggles, me and my brother were huge fans of Biggles, infact if you remember the beginning of Biggles, Features Peter Cushing's last screen performance! How about the hammer horror connection, Neil Dickson carried the torch into She Wolf of London, I very much enjoyed She Wolf even more knowing Biggles was in it, as I knew Niel Dickson for, as English as you can get. I always wanted to see more adventures of Biggles, I think it's one of those fanchises that skipped under the radar, it was such a cult when I was watcing it, I loved it. I gotta get the dvd.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090729/

If your liking the show, try and get Biggles, as I mentioned above, it's the other production Neil Dickson was known for, plus it has Peter Cushing's final screen appearance, as must for any horror fan to see the master''s last appearance, plus a fun film, it really is a film that deserved bigger exposure, it was always a cult on video and the soundtrack is awesome, plus lots of London and time travel, can't beat it. I've read when Dickson signed up to do biggles he signed a 3 movie deal, however, due to its poor performance in the states it was scrapped

That's two things this thread has reminded me about, Biggles and She Wolf of London, this is what foruming can do for a fan!

It's really cool to see others out there had this show cross their mind at some point. Once star trek the next generation got popular and X files hit tv, then buffy/angel/24/millennium, we've had so many shows since, I really forgot about what came before until this thread popped up, amazing how time flies. 21 years or so

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  16. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I decided to watch some more episodes this evening. I just finished...

6. Little Bookshop of Horrors
    When two murders resembling scenes from literature occur in a single week, Ian and Randi discover that in both cases the murderers had recently acquired books which had come from the same shop. They confront the owner of the shop, who admits to putting a curse on the books, and to sending additional cursed classics to every member of Parliament. Can lan and Randi find a way to remove the curse from these books in time? And, in the process, will they discover how to cure Randi's curse?

My Thoughts:
    This episode I found to be more on the silly side... but at the same time quite entertaining. Even though it didn't show the entire thing... I liked how they did the beginning of the werewolf transformation in the first ten minutes of this one.

17. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

7. Can't Keep a Dead Man Down (Part 1)
    Someone is raising the dead from London cemeteries, and a recent widow who is terrified by her husband's return asks lan and Randi to investigate. At the same time, Monumental Pictures in Hollywood has sent Charlie Beaudine to negotiate the movie rights to lan's latest book, "Satan's Sex Slaves." Unfortunately for lan, Charlie is Randi's ex-fiance, and is more interested in returning to L.A. with Randi than with the book.

My Thoughts:
    A bit of zombie action for this one. Unfortunately it is also done in a silly way. Could tell that from the opening scene. This one don't have any werewolf transformation in it. But it does have a witch in it... who is conveniently named Samantha Stevens. The lengths they go to for a stupid joke. I did like how part 1 ended... though I must admit that it is very obvious where it will be going in part 2. And I am pretty sure I know how the second part will conclude. Hmmmmm... bad writing or do I just watch this type of show too much?

18. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

8. Can't Keep a Dead Man Down (Part 2)
    Randi returns from L.A. and discovers lan has been raised as a zombie! "I'm dead," lan remarks, "you're a werewolf: what a delightful couple -imagine our children!" Are there now two curses to cure?

My Thoughts:
    I got to say I liked this... Randi was forced to transform in the restroom of an airplane. And this episode had a few quick but good views of the werewolf. I realize they can't have werewolf action in every single episode... but I definitely like it better when it is there. And this one didn't just have the one transformation... but actually had two of them. As I said in the previous post I did see some of this coming. But there was also a some stuff I didn't see coming. So I definitely enjoyed this one.