Tom Savini's Kickstarter project - 'Zombie Island'

Discussion in 'General' started by hots4, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yes, and as I stated before, let´s look at the example of "Veronica Mars", a series that I enjoyed. It was a hit show, the fan community was full force behind a movie of the series, so why would the movie only move forward if enough money was raised???

In just a few hours they had more than enough to make 2 movies, and then the studio greenlit the project.

To me that only means one thing: exploration!!! Not only the studio makes the movie for free, they only make profit from it. Since opening day, every buck would mean profit.

And what about the fans that contribute it to the whole thing??? A mere "thank you"??? And they have to pay to see the thing in theaters and then again to own it on a physical media??? Surely, everyone who spends their money financing something that is very dear to then would like to see it on the big screen and then own it later.

2. deepred

deepred Member

C'mon now, Tommy's gonna send you an autographed DVD of the movie if you cough up $250. No one here is gonna have to double dip if they just pay the $250. ;)

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I like his idea with the camo zombies. It sounds pretty wild. And he could do it right without people changing stuff this way. At least I hope.

4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm not comfortable with the "flexible funding" this project has. The donated money is kept according to that whether the project reaches it's goal or not. I'm assuming that means also that there is no promise that the film will see the light of day, and you're SOL if that happens.

5. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I don't like this trend of people already established in the industry panhandling for funds on Kickstarter. And I am not in a position to throw my own money away like this anyway. But I will say, in defense of Tom Savini, that my GF and I have met him twice at local haunts, and he was very cool to us both times. Neither event was extremely busy, so we were able to kind of hang out and talk with him for a while. Yes, she totally geeked out about his work on Day of the Dead. He showed us Sex Machine's gun from From Dusk 'Till Dawn, and told us us about his FX school. He was selling merchandise and glossy photos, but autographs and personal pics were free. At the first event, we showed up as food was arriving for him and his crew, and he even gave us an egg roll. So I find it hard to reconcile all these reports of him being a dick to fans with the cool cat we met.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Zillamon: Yes, he was cool with me too. And he signed anything I wanted for free.

Everyone else: Most films aren't funded by the people who wrote/directed it. Hollywood is run by rich people who could give a fuck what you "true fans" want. They are only interested in casting a wide net. Tom Savini doesn't have the kind of money you think he has. If he did you wouldn't be able to bitch about how he was rude to you at some convention because he wouldn't need to go to them!

7. deepred

deepred Member

Why so defensive?

Yes, I understand how the system works. It's also called networking and I am sure with the amount of time he has been in the business that he has enough connections inside the business to raise some money for a Zombie movie. The director of Kick-Ass was able to produce that independently by raising money at a dinner party. He didn't run out and ask the fans of the comic to fund it, did he?

Just because he wasn't a jerk to you all, doesn't mean he wasn't a prick to others. Just like him being a prick to some people, doesn't mean he's a prick to everyone. My point was that he wasn't receptive to me at all (and all I did was pay him a compliment) and was stand-offish and *I* wouldn't support someone who behaved that way. I don't really constitue that as bitching. I could care less if he is miserable because he has no money and has to spend the rest of his days dealing with his "annoying" fans at cons but he may want to think about how he interacts with them in the future (as many have voiced similar experiences as mine), especially if he wants hand-outs from them.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Simple, no one wants to gamble with their own money. This way if something falls through or when things go wrong, the filmmakers can walk away unscathed. Bitchassedness is word that comes to mind.:D If you believe in your project, fund the fucker yourself, bet on yourself. Doing the kickstarter thing is like betting against yourself. If not betting against yourself, it shows a serious lack of faith in their projects.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well, he did have the money to produce The Sadist (2013) which he is starring in. So he's got money for that, but not money for his OWN project. You think he would have used the money for the movie that he's writing, directing, etc...

Also since it's a "zombie" film, you think he could have pulled some support from Romero & Nicotero.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Why so defensive?

Looked it up. There's like 7 people listed as producers in some capacity.

11. deepred

deepred Member

Is that defensive? It was in response to your condescending message addressed to "everyone else" in the thread.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Condescending to people is what gives me power. I was powering up.

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Cool, it´s more expensive to get a free DVD than to contribute and spend your own money buying a copy. :rolleyes:

And with that in mind let´s also throw in the mix the money he will be making selling those DVDs.

Let him go the guerrilla filmaking way. An HD camera is not that expensive to rent, he can produce his own effects by exploring those under his workshops, and they would also be very happy to contribute starring roles for free just for appearing in a movie made by the hum hum "master".

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

That kind of contempt would warrant a banning if I were in charge.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Tom Savini isn't a millionaire and getting money for a film is the hardest part about making a film. Even George Lucas was having zero luck funding Red Tails and spent all his own money instead.

But in regards to Kickstarters what's the difference between paying for a film and paying for a film? Seriously. If some people are willing to pay $250 to see Tom Savini's next zombie movie should Savini turn these people away and raise the money the hard way? Look how well that's been going for him since 1990.

I agree it's crazy to start up kickstarters to fund wide release mass entertainment, but already looking at the low turnout for Savini's kickstarter and its clear why he's having trouble finding funding anywhere. It looks like he needs all the help he can get.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I'm in the camp that says this goes against the spirit of Kickstarter (and not because of Tom's attitude at cons....by the way, he was indeed a bit aloof the time I met him, but certainly not rude). Oh, I know Tom Savini doesn't have the money to fund a movie all on his own, but like X-Human points out, no director does. That's why the industry has "Executive Producers".

Still, Tom Savini has enough industry connections and enough pull to secure funding on his own. It may not be easy, but he does have those connections. He's gotta have a treatment, a plan, and find a studio who will get on board. I'm of the opinion that Kickstarter is intended for people that don't even have those connections at all. I.E., Tom Savini could get a meeting with the Weinsteins if he wanted (and my guess is he probably did, got turned down, and that's why he's on Kickstarter). I've never given money to a Kickstarter project, but if I did, it would be to the type of person who can't even get a foot in the door at one of the major players and has to go outside the system to get his/her film made.

17. deepred

deepred Member

Just to clarify, I am not saying that either - only pointing out the irony in asking for a hand-out from fans when one has a tendency to treat them indifferently in person.

I'm sure if he really tried, he could find the money. The last I checked plenty of Zombie movies are being made right now. Maybe he should talk to Brad Pitt. ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

They should all fund their movie the easy way....

The Uwe Boll way! The German Loop Hole!

P.S. - He using kickstarter for Postal 2 :lol:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1544635303/postal-2?ref=live

For $10,000 you will receive an executive producer credit and you will be participating on the worldwide revenues of the movie.

See at least here you have a chance of making money. And Uwe Boll's kickstarter is NOT flexible funding. If they don't reach the goal, no money is taken. Unlike Tom's which gets the money regardless.

Uwe Boll on using real celebrities in Postal 2:

“I always wanted to rape Heidi Klum, so why not?”

Send your money now! :eek:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  19. j tea

j tea New Member

Amen. Another DTV zombie movie? Was Nick Cannon not available to play Tony Todd's son?

Nobody has mentioned that the premise sounds like a colossal snore. It sounds like all he has is one shot of zombies blending into the woods? The rest of it he made up after someone turned the camera on.

Also "all you see is black faces and smiling teeth"? Stay classy.