Thriller: A Cruel Picture - Nomination For My DVD of the Year!

Discussion in 'General' started by DVD Connoisseur, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I know it's not a great film by any means, but I was hooked to Last House on Dead End Street from the opening shot. AS SaviniFan said, I love the grainy look of the film. It does have a very 'home movie" feel to it. Much of the my interest in LHODES came from the history behind it. For years no one was sure who directed the film, and who the actors were. I would think that a little research would have answered all of these questions, but I guess not. The two scenes that stand out to me are the whipping scene involving a woman in black face and the infamous deer hoof scene.

Thriller is an interesting film, but not one that I would go out of my way to see again.

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, kudos on the LHODES packaging. The booklet alone is worth a few bucks, excellent stuff. With it's boatload of extras, it's like a Criterion release for such a small film.

I've not gotten around to Thriller yet. I don't know why, but it just hasn't drawn me in, and isn't even on my "Wish List". Maybe it should be.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Count me in as a fan of LHODES. Just a creepy effective "I need to really take a shower after I watch this" film. Sure the dubbing and most of the acting is laughable but it just simply does very well what it sets out to achieve and that is to disturb the hell out of you.

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

LHODES makes me feel dirty every time I see it. Always a plus.

5. Faceman

Faceman Guest

I wonder if Synapse cleaned up the picture or even bothered checking out the DVD I personally handed them.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

[​IMG]

Coming to Blu-ray on March 8th, 2022: https://www.synapsefilms.com/product/thriller-a-cruel-picture-blu-ray/

Director: Bo. A Vibenius
    Starring: Christina Lindberg, Heinz Hopf
    Runtime: 107 minutes
    Release Date: March 8, 2022
    Language: Uncompressed PCM Original Swedish 2.0 Mono / Uncompressed PCM English Dubbed 2.0 Mono
    Aspect Ratio: High-Definition 1080p Widescreen (1.66:1) Presentation
    Formats: 1080p Blu-ray
    Region: All Regions

This is one title where I wish they had the "censored" They Call Her One Eye version on the disc as well.

Kim Bruun, Steel76, f.ramses and 4 others like this.
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Finally!

Katatonia likes this.
  8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Is this the first announcement for this from Synapse? I don't recall hearing anything about this before but it's got a release date that's only a few months out so I wonder. I also wonder if this is that 4K restoration that was done back in 2017 or another one. Regardless I'll look forward to checking this out in HD in spite of those insanely boring slow-mo scenes that feel like they go on for like 10 minutes each...

Katatonia likes this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow... did.... did Vibenius die? This is literally the last title I expected Synapse to release on HD. I would have anticipated Day the Clown Cried or Herbie the Love Bug before Thriller. (Maybe one day Dark Force would have or something but not Synapse.)

I would have thought so too but it's not listed as such. I don't mind the uncensored version but I did buy the censored version to be able to show friends and such so it'd be appreciated. Then again I haven't seen it for awhile and I'm getting oddly squeamish in my old age. Maybe I would find myself only watching the cut version.

It's also amazing that it's not a steelbook. I imagine if they had to pony up it'd be a steelbook. So, I wonder if this is a trial balloon of some other sorts. Not to see if it'll sell, but to see if it'll face major legal challenges?

Katatonia likes this.
  10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Why? Like what legal challenges would there be? Rights issues? Just wondering...

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Katatonia likes this.
  12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Glad "Thriller" is not yet another expensive steelbook.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I've long been curious about this, but I'm glad I held out. Wasn't the official word from Synapse at one point that the rights holder wanted silly money for it?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    Katatonia likes this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't remember, and Synapse didn't want to get into too many specifics anyways. I think Kim's right that not only did he want silly money but QT's professed love of the movie came right after Synapse licensed it. Vibenius then demanded they pay him more money and harassed Synapse when they didn't. I think at least some frivolous law language was thrown around, but this was long ago and I could be mixing it with other similar cases. Past that I don't know what's going on besides the fact that just about no one else on the planet has bothered to touch the title since. The fact that Synapse's Thriller releases are region free gives me the impression they have world rights.

So, I'll take what I can get. Synapse is pretty notorious for exhausting all possibilities so I'll take that to be the case here. Although sometimes after Synapse has done all the work the licensors have a change of heart (probably because after they realized Synapse went their own way that they themselves will have to spend money to make more money) and so licensors re-invigorate their own efforts. If that turns out to be the unlikely case here and we get a UHD steelbook down the round or a Special Edition with alternate cuts, in this case, I'll go for those too.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    f.ramses likes this.
  15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Thanks a lot, aside from having once heard that the owner wanted a lot of money for this one I had no idea about all that background; very interesting!!!

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

LOL - yeah the scene of the guy finishing/glazing on her puckered starfish I can do without.

Katatonia likes this.