The Ugly

Discussion in 'General' started by Suicide, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Anyone seen this? I rented it last night and was really quite impressed with it. Some of the acting was kinda off, mainly the people in the hospital, that beefy Brad Pitt like character really bugged me for some reason, but for the most part the movie was very well done.

Any thoughts? I'll try and be more in depth with my thoughts later on, but for now Motel Hell awaits.

Oh, yeah. Maybe a tiny little spoiler here:

The "visitors'' Simon saw absolutely scared the crap out of me, I think it's probably on my list of one of the more frightening things I've seen in a movie.

And how weird looking was the doctor in the movie? He reminded me of a third rate Hugo Weaving a little.

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I've been wanting to see this one for awhile now. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

3. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

This is a great little film. The title is kinda lame, IMO, and the cover art is cheesy so I always glanced over it in the stores. When I finally gave it ago I was quite impressed. Just goes to show you can't judge a movie by it's cover.

4. crank

crank Guest

I personally feel that The Ugly is simply one of the best horror movies made in the last several years. Very little of what has come out lately has been able to stand up to either the cruelty, thought provocation or just out right freakiness of this film. If you don't own it, buy it. The disc is unfortunatley pretty bare bones, but as the DVD came out a few years ago (it was one of the first DVD's I ever bought) I think you can pick it up online pretty cheap now.

crank

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

The film is simply a masterpiece!
    Watch HEAVEN too, his next film! :fire:

6. The Chaostar

and ALSO!
    Watch the film's first five minutes in slow motion (especially the actress' entrance in the hospital). The VISITORS are THERE!!!!!!

7. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I've seen a few things on this movie and it actually interested me. Maybe I'll finally have to give it a watch one of these days.

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yesterday I remembered Simon from the Ugly was on the Boogeymen DVD. So I pulled it out to see his scene. Thank god I never watched any of the stuff on the movies I hadn't seen. They show one of the better, more intense scenes, it would've ruined it for me. But one thing I noticed was the stupid "facts" thing they put before each scene said something like "Simon is haunted by the Uglies." Huh? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Simon the one that the title of the movie is refering to? There's no Uglies, Simon was the Ugly. Right?

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I wanted to bring this back up top, since I just bought the movie. I tried to watch it in slow motion to see the Visitors at the beginning, but I don't know I couldn't see them. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place for them or something. Are they everywhere or do they just pop up for like a single frame like Tyler Durden in Fight Club?

10. shift

shift Hot as shit!

whats the cover art for it? I tryed looking on IMBD board for this movie,, but no luck :(

11. DVD Zombie

DVD Zombie Guest

12. The Chaostar

They pop up for a single frame when she (the doctor) enters the hospital for the first time. Watch the scene!

13. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I really liked it but thought the acting was pretty horrible. Good story tho. But I didnt like the ending.

14. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

This movie turned out better than I expected. Not great, I'll skip buying it for now.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I found it at a pawnshop for a dollar and it is rated R fullscreen and says walmart exclusive bonus dvd. anyone got this one and compared it to the original unrated dvd from trimark i was just wondering if they were the same or not despite the rating.

16. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I got this movie as a gift and it was bundled with anther movie.I still havnt taken this movie out of the wrapping yet.I might do it soon now that I read this post about it.

sean

17. The Chaostar

Very interesting film - the colors sometimes are very Argento-like (but with good performances!).

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't know why anyone would really own both versions, but the "Walmart" one shows its running time a minute shorter than the old Unrated DVD from Trimark.

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Was the Trimark disc 16/9 ?

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Yep, but not one of the finest transfers. Could use some remastering.