The Pride of your DVD Collection

Discussion in 'General' started by Ichi, Jun 1, 2003.

1. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

I was about to say the same thing:confused::eek: Holy thread bump from 13 years agoo_O

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I think he's referring to the fact that the vast majority of my text doesn't connect, nor do my paragraphs seem to make any sense on their own. (Whatsoever.)

I swear it all added up when I was writing it. I overshot and garnished it with pics to try and mark up the collective nostalgia factor.

...The pics are still good, right? A few memories there... Right?

gobad2003 likes this.
  3. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong I still liked your post and I still have alot of those dvd's yet, hard to get rid of them. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Read through this entire thread and this was the post I most agree with. It was one of the first disc's I bought too. To locate a copy, I had to drive to friggin Canton, Ohio to a Circuit City store that held it form me.

5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

You mean Creepy? Yeah.

I'm a little different. I see a movie. I like it. I buy it. Fast forward 15+ years and a badass collection is the result. I never bought a movie for the sole purpose of "adding to a collection". I feel a lot of shitty movies would be purchased otherwise.
    Quite proud of my collection....... it's not the biggest collection in the world, but it's fucking quality shit if you ask me.
    Pride of the collection? That's a tough question and I enjoyed reading the older post from a decade ago. Does a box set count? If so, I'd have to go with my Friday the 13th set. Spent 80 bucks on it at BestBuy the week it was released and if you put a price tag relative to the number of times I've watched one of those flicks, I'd be a fraction of a penny.
    Most expensive single DVD I ever bought? Ichi the Killer. I was on a MISSION that day to find this motherfucking movie. (this was before Amazon was what it is now). I drove to half a dozen stores in south eastern Massachusetts and finally found a copy at an FYE store and didn't even look at the price tag. At the counter I believe it came to $34 after taxes. Fuck it. If you add in the gas I used that day, maaaaafaka ran me about 62 bucks, easy.

http://nick.filmaf.com/owned

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Amazingly, all these releases later, I'm still holding out hope that we get a Blu-ray with the color timing from this release.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Suspiria: Ultimate Edition by Dragon Film Entertainment from Austria. It's the first film I imported directly from Europe and it was purely because of its packaging.

Best image I could find (kinda sorta really fuzzy): https://rotzblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/suspiria-digi.jpg

(Mine is not signed :oops:)

One of the greatest packages for one of the greatest films and when I first started buying from out of country websites. Before that I mostly imported domestically from resellers like XploitedCinema, and I was probably one of Tony's best customers.

As for my collection as a whole I'm most proud of my pre-1970's collection, with 306 individual DVD cases. (Not counting boxsets.) My pre-NOTLD collection is larger than what most people own entirely. I keep genres in chronological order, so when I finally pushed the last remaining 1970 DVD off the first Horror bookshelf and into the next (SWV's Amazing Transplant in snap case) I rather enjoyed that moment. I kinda hung up my spurs and don't buy so much anymore.

Looking now, I've slowly placed myself just one DVD away from ending the bookshelf with NOTLD. Where I consider the modern era to begin. And I'd have to push past five individual NOTLD releases before I could officially start the next full bookshelf with NOTLD. I guess I've got my next goal... :cool:

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The pride of my collection is the long out of print Unsolved Mysteries: Ultimate Collection. It's not only one of my favorite TV shows of all time, it comes in a treasure chest! I purchased it a few years ago after getting a decent sized tax refund (the first and last time that happened).

chancetx likes this.
  9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

The pride of my collection is the collection itself. I have been collecting DVDs and blurays for over 20 years, so it's enough that I do not want for anything awesome to watch.

Most Expensive: back in the day I spent $84 on EBay for the recalled DVD of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. This was long before YouTube and torrents and shit. The excellent bluray release made it obsolete, which I'm not mad about.

Harry Warden likes this.
  10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Probably 3 discs:

1) My limited edition "I Drink Your Blood" DVD, numbered, signed by Durston and Lynn Lowry (and others). I went to the New Beverly and saw the movie with Durston hosting and Lowry in attendance and got the DVD from Grindhouse directly later. Hoping for an HD upgrade, but this will always be with me.
    2) Christmas Evil Synapse DVD signed by the director. Weird experience getting it signed but I really love the movie.
    3) 2 Disc Barrel "Last House on Dead End Street" release.

Not a DVD but Dark Delicacies had a ROTLD "making of" book signing with maybe 10 actors/behind the scenes folks there and I had them sign it all to my one-year old who was with me to get it signed. Dinah Cancer from 45 Grave took some pics with us - she's a sweetheart.

As for Blu? Still a collection in progress...

11. cgay2

cgay2 Member

DVD
    Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition signed by Romero, Foree, Savini
    Bad Taste 2 Disc Dvd first real DVD I bought pre-ordered
    All the Friday the 13ths special editions with cool slip covers

Rare Ones I own
    Last House on Dead End Street
    Rawhead Rex
    Fright Night 2

Blue Ray
    Fright Night Twilight Time
    Return of the Living Dead by shout, easily the best blue ray of the year and one of my favs so happy for this
    Halloween Digi Book

VHS
    Lunch Meat Big Box
    House of Death Big Box
    Evil Dead THorn/emi mint shape
    Dawn of the Dead THorn/emi mint
    Return of the Living Dead THorn/emi hbo mint

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Night of the Living Dead DVD signed in person by George Romero, Judith O'Dea and Russell Streiner.

Evil Dead DVD signed in person by Bruce Campbell, Ellen Sandweiss, Hal Delrich, Betsy Baker and Sarah York.

13. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I have this as well, didn't realize until the last year or so that it was OOP and worth quite a bit. I always wished they'd release further sets or even complete seasons. Such a creepy theme song and intro. Robert Stack was the perfect host. I still watch the updated Dennis Farina episodes when they come on. I guess so much time has passed with some of the cases that they'll never be resolved but there are quite few segments I'd love to hear updates on.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Other than the DVDs I've released through my label Videonomicon, the Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition DVD set is my crown jewel. I don't really need to say much about it as I'm pretty sure most people would agree it was a monumental moment for them when it was announced/released, aside from it already having a handful of mentions in this very thread. But the other reason it sits high on the pedestal is because I've collected a lot of autographs on it over the years of attending conventions and so it contains the markings of George A. Romero, Dario Argento, Tom Savini, Michael Gornick, Claudio Simonetti, John Amplas, Jim Krut, Sharron Ceccatti, and Roy Frumkes (so far).

Harry Warden likes this.
  15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yes, I this is also a good choice. I also have it but it is signed by Tom Savini only. I ran into Tom the day I bought it in Pittsburgh and he signed it for me. That is really cool that you have than many signatures on yours.