The Pit

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, May 18, 2005.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

In need for satisfying my craving for good ol' fashioned Canadian horror, I finally popped in THE PIT last night. What a weird little picture, totally tame but at the same time very disturbing. The bombastic orchestral music made it sound like some really watered down TV movie, but the monsters in the pit eviscerating women and children seemed totally against that. Best, and most disturbing, of all though, was the lead performance by little Sammy Snyders. Not since Joshua in TROLL 2 has a child's performance been so intense. He totally inhabited the perverse little world of an autistic boy, with his tell-tale confessions to his teddy bear or his perverted ideals of goodness. He had some great one liners, my favorite being:

"Do you know why my mother washes me so much?"

"You were pretty on the outside, but not pretty on the inside."

He kind of reminded me of a young version of Ezra Cobb, from the equally Canadian DERANGED. After he witnesses his loved one fall into the pit, his crying spell on the bed has an intensity to it that makes Corey Feldman's bedside spasm upon seeing breasts in FRIDAY THE 13TH THE FINAL CHAPTER seem sedated. The effects work was pretty good too, with some nice shots of innards and some convincing creature effects.

The thing that sets it apart most though is its tone, which is what a fellow friend called a "Canadian horror movie and After-School Special gone terribly, terribly wrong." The whole idea is totally not scary, a helpless child throwing clueless people into a pit, but at the same time I would never want to move even remotely near Jamie's residence. Alongside Joshua from TROLL 2 and Bob from HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, little Sammy Snyders has risen above classifications of good and bad acting and has taken his performance into something unclassifyingly brilliant. I had a lot of fun with this movie, and one that I will remember for a long time, thanks to its sheer weirdness and Snyders' performance.

There have been some threads half dedicated to this movie, but hopefully in this one we can get a good discussion devoted entirely to the film. So whaddya think?

2. The Joker

The Joker Guest

I liked it as well, I bought the double feature DVD with Hellgate. It a weird way it kinda reminded me of Paperboy...

3. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I just watched it again last month...I had not seen it since I caught in theaters back in 84. One of the all time most odd little movies out there.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's a great little movie, and one that'll you'll remember long after the movie ends. The kid did a really good quirky job as the main character. Some of the dialogue in the movie is priceless!

5. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

I'm shocked this played in theatres at all.

I loved this movie in a "what the hell am I watching, did that just happen?" kind of way.

6. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Great 70's film with a real nialistic ending.

Yes It could have been made a lot better, but gee it's a whole lot better than shit like Darkness Falls etc........

I know......what abouta re-make!!!! That and re-do The Baby!!!

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I just gave this one another watch the other night myself. I've always found this little nasty to be highly enjoyable. Its definitely one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen. Snyders is wonderfully perverted. I love the scene where he gets the mean little girl's mother to undress while he watches from outside. I actually think his relationship with Teddy is the most interesting aspect of the film.

The troglodyte creatures are pretty creepy. The scene with them devouring the unfortunate sitter manages to be especially unnerving. I also love the ending. A very appropriate finish to the film I'd say.

As weird a film as one's likely to see, and loads of fun.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I remember renting and watching The Pit & Fear No Evil the same night back then. For some reason I liked Fear No Evil better (I blame the cool Embassy VHS cover art). The Pit came off rather amateurish, cheap and uneven ... it just didn't 'click'.
    When I heard AB was releasing both on DVD I had to get them, for old times sake. My disappointment was rather big after re-visiting Fear No Evil - what a let down! However, The Pit was much better than I remembered. Quirky, funny, a bit cheesy and bizarre to say the least. In other words, I loved it and I'm glad I got this on DVD :)

9. booper71

booper71 B-Zone on Roku

The kid is creepy alright but not as creepy as the child/midget from Burial Ground

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

11. dmeister

dmeister New Member

What the hell was up with that teddybear, anyway?!?

dmeister

12. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i dont remember the intro to that but i definitely remember the music

13. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Let's not forget Brigette HORNEY!

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

I seriously cannot stop watching that clip. It is so surreal to see Jaime chewing on a piece of wheat and fawning olde fashion. The way the hold that title shot of him a good five seconds longer than they should is perfect. Without a doubt one of the gayest videos I've ever seen. And by gay here, I mean happy.

15. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

I liked it. Almost plays like a made for TV film.

16. hotbodynick

hotbodynick New Member

Holy cow, I watched this for the first time this weekend. How is this movie so overlooked?! This was one of the craziest flicks I've ever come across! I felt like I needed a shower after watching this one.

Good lighting, never boring, a script that throws in everything but the kitchen sink, some of the smarmiest yet light-hearted (?) nude scenes, a hilariously misplaced music score... GRADE A PROCESSED CHEESE FOOD! If you haven't seen it, stop what you're doing and go watch it now!

17. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Agreed...
    There is something distinctly... off... about the entire film that seems to draw you into Jamie's madness. The off-kilter world it presents endows the film with so much texture and character.
    A truly satisfying cheese-fest.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched the double-feature disc tonight. What a crazy little movie. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

I think my favorite part was when Jamie ran into the little red-haired girl and she said "Well, if it isn't clumsy stupid!" :lol:

I laughed, I cried (from laughing so hard), the works. I really love the mean-spirited sense of humor in this movie. It reminded me a bit of Christmas Evil and Bloody Birthday.

I found this bit of trivia on IMDB and thought it was kind of funny: The director's wife refused to let him shoot the nude scenes, so the screenwriter shot them instead. The only shot involving nudity that the director was allowed to film was the "skinny dipping" scene and only because the actress was his daughter.

19. FinalSora

FinalSora New Member

Been a fan of this crazy little movie ever since the vhs days. I even have the original one-sheet for this one. "He did a wonderful report on toads."

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I always found that tidbit interesting as well.
    Reminds me of Dario Argento's disturbing penchant for filming his daughter, Asia, in the nude. :eek2: