The Official Masters Of Horror Thread (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by Crystal Plumage, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Luna

Luna Guest

Holy shit, dudes. I have On Demand, checked it, and sure as shit... it's Jenifer.

I am SO kicking back with a bowl of popcorn right now and watching. :banana:

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Damn! I hope someone out there who has it decides to put it out on bittorrent shortly!

As for this weeks episode, as much as I love Coscarelli, this one blew his away! As much as I disagree with you, Spitfire, I'm really glad that you do, because I'd hate to see Don dissed by everybody. Not that I hated his entry. I in fact liked it a lot, but it's tough to beat a legend like Lovecraft with a somewhat generic slasher story, even one with a terrific angle.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  3. Luna

Luna Guest

I am consistently amazed by this project... this is clearly the best idea in ages and I can't believe they managed to put this thing together. That said, I loved Jenifer a whole lot. There was a great undercurrent of dark humor throughout the story, and some interesting shots.

It was pretty clear where the story was going to go from the opening scene, where the action picks up, but it was such a great ride that I didn't even care if it was even remotely predictable.

Steven Weber thankfully surpassed my expectations, as they had been significantly lowered by The Shining TV movie. Argento played a cruel trick on me, letting that poor kittycat off the hook during the first Jenifer confrontation (hiss!), but the second time around, that cat wasn't so lucky. :cry: The way she reveled, with childlike glee, in the guts and intestines and things... that was beautiful. The scene with the little kid just cracked me up because you KNEW that kid was gonna be toast. The second Jenifer licked her ragged lips, you knew it was all over. Fortunately, the remains weren't kept offscreen and we got to see more intestine play. :lol:

The part that cracks me up the most is where Weber has clearly snapped and is crying hysterically, to the point where it almost looks like he's laughing. Jenifer sees him through the window of the cabin, and thinks he's happy about her maulings and does a little sort of "yay!" jump of joy because she made him so "happy". Oh, that kills me. :lol:

Simonetti's score was excellent, as expected. I especially loved the Deep Red-esque song. I also noticed something in it which may have been a bit of a nod to Psycho. Very nice! :D

Another great episode... I'm quite satisfied with my decision to ditch HBO for Showtime for this series. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
  4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I missed it... :( I think it plays again like... Monday or something on Scream channel here. Last week's played again Monday night round Midnight. :)

5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Bloodman, it will be on again tonight in like an hour or so...and then yes, several times through the week later at night.

Great episode and the effects are amazing! Fits perfectly into the Stuart Gordon/H.P. Lovecraft tradition.

Am I the only one who thinks next week's looks awesome? :banana:

6. indiephantom

7. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

No way.

Next week's (along with the first episode) is one I've been waiting for since I read about it.

The Matheson short story is damn good, and it looks like they may do it good. :D

:banana:

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

:confused: Little confused, how did you see Jenifer. when its 2 weeks away.

9. Luna

Luna Guest

I have Showtime On Demand with Time Warner Cable, and I think they posted the wrong episode there. It should have been Stuart Gordon's, but instead they posted the Argento one. :banana:

10. indiephantom

That's one of the luckiest breaks of the year. :lol:

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh, thats pretty cool. I hope you got to see the Gordon episode.

12. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, I did and even commented a bit on it in a previous post. I've recorded all three episodes in DVD quality so far. :D

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh right I just noticed your review. I don't know where my head is at.

I not sure if you seen this, but I posted before that Anchor Bay is releasing the episodes on DVD in Feb.2006 Which is great news and not too far away. Considering when the last episode airs to when the dvd set is released.

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I hadn't seen that. That is great news. I feared they would make us wait until Halloween or something like that. Excellent.

15. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Finally watched my DVR'd episode by Gordon. I loved it. Very cool. I thought it was one of the oddest Lovecraft adaptions I've seen and that says a lot. My favorite element to the episode was how things didn't get progressively better for the characters, but worse. What a downer of an ending. It's so refreshing to see a director forego the "everything-is-alright" conclusion in favor of one that leaves the viewer distraught in a sense. I don't know how I managed to miss the preview for next weeks episode. Guess I'll have to go back and watch the end again to see what I've got to look forward to. So far though, I'm seriously loving this series.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Produced by IDT Entertainment, MASTERS OF HORROR will air weekly beginning October 28, and then hits DVD from Anchor Bay Entertainment beginning in February 2006.

Something tells me that they might be releasing them in parts instead of the the complete set. Maybe two at a time.

FEBRUARY 2006
    MASTERS OF HORROR (1st DVD): Anchor Bay

But who knows, I could be wrong.

17. indiephantom

Yeah, sadly I read that they plan on breaking it up. The first season won't be finished airing by February. There's a brief hiatus of a few weeks starting in December. I would prefer to wait for the DVD if it means we can get the entire season in one collection.

18. indiephantom

19. indiephantom

20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I think Hooper's was definitely the strongest of the first three episodes. The premise was very intriguing, and the episode was full of great imagery. This one also had a rather big budget look to it. Definitely the most unlike TV episode yet. I'm sure some will complain about a certain editing technique used throughout the episode, but I thought it fit the world the characters were living in quite well. Pretty fine acting all around here, and Englund was a blast as usual. I wasn't sure what the terrorist weapon that ruined the world was exactly, but I guess Matheson's story would better explain that, not that that's a complaint against the ep or anything. I just thought it was interesting.

The ending was pretty groovy.
    Once the mother and Englund were both there, I figured the mother had sold her daughter to him. I also thought perhaps Englund was her dad, and the mother had lied about that too, but that wasn't to be. It was cool seeing Peggy embracing the world around her in the end though, and giving her mother what she deserved.

Yep, definitely the best episode yet IMO.