The Official Masters Of Horror Thread (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by Crystal Plumage, Jan 27, 2005.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

It was terrific. I'm really really impressed. I had just read Lansdale's short story--which I liked--but this really expands the narrative and the addition of the other characters (Angus Scrimm's bit is not a part of the short) were really well-handled. The performances were first-rate all around and the episode is so stylish. It was the perfect way to start off the series and now we really have something to look forward to every weekend. :banana:

2. sacateca

sacateca Guest

i am thoroughly and profoundly impressed. Loved every second of it! Everything about the first episode was brilliant, nothing was even slightly weak about it. The production values were much better than in latter-day X-Files, and i could hardly point out what could've been done better. It really felt like a movie (unfortunately it had to end...) Also i didn't expect the actors to be that good (and goodness gracious, Scrimm was...!!) This is so easily my very favourite tv-show ever.
    Also, they really didn't pull their punches, there was more than enough gore!

Since it was directed by Coscarelli and Phantasm isn't among my favourites, i didn't even expect so much...but for once they really proved me wrong. i can do nothing but drool whilst waiting for the episodes directed by my favourite directors in the genre...
    The only problem is that now my expectations are so high that whatever comes next i undoubtedly will feel but be ever-so-slightly disappointed (which will not mean that the episode wouldn't be brilliant).

9/10!

PS: My wife agrees very wholeheartedly with these assessments..

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I don't know, without giving away spoilers this 1 hour movie was all over the place. wanted to be 3 different films. all which led to nowhere. Nice try on the CGI drill. If you can't "get that close" (those who saw the film will understand this), then don't do it or use a dummy. Got interesting with Angus, but left you with a big "Now what?" Nothing explained. And I'm not talking about the girl and her husband. If they had more time, it could have been a decent movie. I always wondered why these "masters of Horror" are wasting their time with these shorts. Why don't they just make the freakin movie? they have a hour of material already. I truly hope its not because they think that these "shorts" aren't good enough to make it on the big screen. Because if thats the case, then they must not have anything left in tank.

But then again after writing this, these shorts are supposed to be like Tales from the Crypt so all of those shows had the same feel. Just odd little stories with no how?, whys?, or now whats? Just stories to creep you out. Nothing more.

4. If the question I'm about to ask is a no-no, feel free to delete it mods.

Has anyone seen this pop up on any bittorrent sites? If so, feel free to send me a PM telling me where. :)

5. sacateca

sacateca Guest

baggio: i strongly disagree, i thought the story even had content, which is lacking in 99% of modern movies, and exactly was NOT just a simple story meant to shock'n'scare. i was amazed by this very fact.
    But people are so different, some people argue that Jodorowsky's movies are without content, and some think Spielberg's movies are ohsoprofound, and that Tarkovsky only offers intellectual banalities...all of these i've read from respected serious critical sources, and i could not disagree more with any of them.

Btw, i've always absolutely hated these "horror" series like the Twilight Zone (all of them), Hitchcock presents, Tales from the Crypt, Outer Limits, and many others, for their vacuous silly little stories only meant to give a little shock (though, many of them also had one or two good episodes). This one was a completely different breed of a series for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2005
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

well actually the real story is the girl and the husband. which I don't really care about it.
    The rest is quite moot. I could of watched a Lifetime movie of the week. This movie wasn't horrible, just misdirected in my opinion. Its a disguised movie, which makes you want to throw something at the tv at the end.

7. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Baggio:
    Well, i thought there was some point to the fact that she used the skills forced upon her by her husband to defeat him, and also that the skills which she was forced to learn actually became useful to her later, and yet the source for those skills was something negative. i like that kind of thing, it's that you can't assign a negative value to any thing, but the very negative things that happen can spawn something positive. Sort of like a nice little morality story, without being moralistic in the traditional sense.
    In addition to that, a lot could be read into the incidents that occurred to her...it wasn't just a plot deviced to bring out the little morality twist, but it's all actually quite clever.
    Also i was impressed by how little they actually established the characters that i came to care about, by using rather old-fashioned techniques. That is to say, they avoided all potholes of modern film-making and script-writing.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Check mininova.

9. Already got it. Thank you.

10. Just finished watching it and I loved it. Moved along nicely, beautiful female lead who wasn't in the slightest bit annoying, nice supporting male cast, good locations, solid script.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of these!

Thanks again to those who helped me get my hands on this episode.

11. indiephantom

Some reviews here for Gordon's episode. Chime in when you've seen it. :cool:

Fangoria has this one:

http://www.fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php

bit from Ain't It Cool:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21703

And here's another with some comments regarding the series below it:

Masters of Horror: "Dreams in the Witch-House"
    Reviewed by Staci Layne Wilson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

H.P. (Howard Phillips) Lovecraft (1890-1937) is undoubtedly the 20th century master of weird, bizarre horror fiction. Whenever Cthulhu, tentacles, or the medical re-animation of corpses is mentioned, the true genre fan’s mind immediately zooms to Lovecraft. One horror aficionado in particular who has practically made a career of specializing in Lovecraft is Stuart Gordon.

The writer/director is perhaps most famous for 1985’s Re-Animator, but he’s also brought From Beyond and Dagon to the big screen. Now it’s time to share the Lovecraft on the small screen with Dreams in the Witch-House, adapted by Gordon and Dennis Paoli, and directed by Gordon. The one hour mini-movie debuts on Showtime tomorrow.

Walter Gilman (Ezra Godden, who also appeared in Dagon), a graduate student studying inter-dimensional string theory, rents a room in a run-down boarding house in old New England. He thinks he’ll have peace and quiet to study, and the price is right. His room is little more than a rat-hole, to put it mildly his neighbors are weird, and the noise never stops. One of the more noisy nuisances is a crying baby, but as it turns out the infant’s single mother Frances (Chelah Horsdal) is a beautiful damsel in distress. After taking care of her rat problem and loaning her a few bucks to pay her rent, Walter finds himself attracted to her.

Not long after banishing the vermin, poor Walter is suddenly plagued by completely insane and totally nightmarish dreams — namely, rats with human faces who have terrible things to tell him, and a wicked witch who can bend his will to do her evil bidding. After one horrible night of sleepwalking, Norman awakens to find himself inside the Miskatonic University’s infamous library of forbidden books, where, in the pages of the human-skin bound Necronomicon, he discovers hints that seem to connect his own studies in advanced mathematics with the perilous legends of elder magic. Human sacrifice — the sacrifice of an infant, to be exact — seems to be the only way for Walter to free himself of the witch’s relentless pursuit of him.

I must admit that at first, Dreams in the Witch-House seemed somewhat goofy. The colorful characters were a bit over the top, and the man-mugged rat wasn’t all that scary. But then, little by little, Gordon’s masterful storytelling drew me in. Adding to the experience is the super-creepy music by Richard Band — chanting, whispers and screams are mixed in the score to hair-raising effect.

I was riveted to the screen as Dreams in the Witch-House’s horror mounted and the suspense deepened. The moments of gore were quite effective, and I was knocked out by the one-two punch at the end.

The strangeness of Lovecraft isn’t for everyone (I confess, I am decidedly not a fan), but Gordon does an admirable job of bringing the story into modern times and at just under an hour the story is tightly paced and wholly enjoyable.

= = =
    Reviewed by Staci Layne Wilson

Some general review comments about the series.

Reviews of MASTERS OF HORROR

"Happy Halloween. A- " - Entertainment Weekly - Paul Katz

"Hard-core horror for Halloween! Your treat comes early, tricksters... It's some high-class haunting". - Newsday.com

"It doesn't feel restricted by its allotted creative medium in the least bit and revels in its squirm-inducing intensity. In fact, this series debut is every bit as deviceful and satisfying as its worthwhile theatrical competition... a generous and excellent start to an ambitious series... we're off to a bloody good start here". - Horrorchannel.com

"Just in time for Halloween arrives this ambitious, wrenching and... truly frightening 13-part original horror anthology from an impressive roster of directors and writers in the genre... it's simply a great idea that, if early indications are accurate, could stand as a horror classic... keeps the suspense and anxiety levels high throughout... it bodes well for the tube's most promising horror anthology since "Tales From the Crypt"". - Hollywood Reporter - Ray Richmond

"'Masters' is scary good." - Seattle Times - Kay McFadden

"3 / 4 stars". - People Magazine

"Each episode is directed by a genre genius... even the show's opening titles are visceral and chilling... if the inaugural episode is any indication of what's to come then fans will not be disappointed". - Horror.com

"Showtime... has come up with a fun 13-week anthology of mini one-hour horror flicks... that are directed, sculpted and sometimes written each week by one of the 13 masters of the genre. The premiere episode... brings us just about everything that modern horror has come to interpret as scary." - New York Post, Linda Stasi

"A brisk hour oozing atmosphere... it's slickly done and just grisly enough to eclipse anything with which the major nets can counter." - Variety - Brian Lowry

"A horror hall of fame" - USA Today

"Showtime presents a bold and mouth-watering experiment in modern terror TV. I'm looking forward to them all." - NY Daily News - David Bianculli

"Where can those in search of serious horror get a truly satisfying tube fix? Unless they've been living under a rock the last several months, genre fans know the answer is Showtime" -Fangoria

:banana: :banana:

12. Missed episode 2, I'll have to catch it tomorrow. I really need to get this schedule stuck in my brain.

13. Luna

Luna Guest

That was great! I enjoyed it even more than last week! :banana:

How often do they kill a kid off, let alone a baby you've had the chance to get to know and sympathize with over the course of the movie, in such a bloody fashion on screen?

It was a pretty dark story, with the lead, the old guy and the baby all dying like that in the last five minutes or so.

I had been looking forward to this one since I saw the trailer last week and I'm so glad it turned out every bit as good as I expected! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, this was much better than the first. The next one from Tobe Hooper doesn't look so hot though, very trendy.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

yes, I saw it last night. I thought it was better than the first. A least it knew what it wanted to be, unlike the first. The first one was Enough with Jennifer Lopez disguised as a horror movie.

I hear that Anchor Bay will release all the episodes on DVD in February. :cool:

16. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Episode 2 was way better than the first, next weeks looks pretty shitty...like The Mangler meets House of 1000 Corpses.

17. indiephantom

those of you who have Showtime ON DEMAND might want to check it. Reading in the Talkback response to this early review of Argento's episode, it sounds like it may have been mistakenly included already. Take a look.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21748

:glasses:

18. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I wish this would be on in the UK :(

19. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

These movies will be released here in Holland early next year (first release).Released by Three Lines Pictures.I don't know who will release them in the UK uncut.The R2 Dutch releases will be uncut and will have removable subs.Released in socalled "duo-boxes" + one hour bonusmaterial per film.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

It was okay, Dreams in the Witches House, Suspenseful, moody, but there was too much going on at once, and I personally enjoyed the first one much more, I thought that the "Moonface" character was pretty damn cool and had nice a setting (WOODS, CABIN) The second one, I thought was good, but not better than the first at all. The talking mouse was a bit on the strange side and "LoveCrafts" tales are not for everyone. Don't get me wrong, it was very entertaining and suspenseful, just enjoyed the first a bit more. All in all, the series is really good! Can't wait for Jennifer from Argento. :fire:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005