The Official Masters Of Horror Thread (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by Crystal Plumage, Jan 27, 2005.

1. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

"... Also look for the first two installments in Showtime's red-hot Masters of Horror series -- John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns and Stuart Gordon's Dreams in the Witch House -- on March 28th. You can get them at $16.95 each or $29.95 for a two-pack."

A tad much for a blind buy. I've only seen Jenifer (which was merely ok), but I somehow doubt these episodes are actually that good. I may have to wait a couple years until they practically give them away.

2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I was looking forward to getting them on DVD, but fuck those prices.

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Even thou I knew they were releasing them separately a while back...
    these dvd releases make little sense. Why wouldn't one just release a box set?

So lets get this correct: About $194.74 (took 2 pack avg.)for 13 one hour long episodes. (actually about 55 min.)

Hell No! So nobody should complain that CSI go for about $55.00 + for 22 hour long episodes.

4. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Well, Landis' episode was true to his style...it wasn't bad and was certainly well made, but it's not my cup of tea. And it really was like an X-Files episode, to the letter.
    But i don't agree with whoever said there was bad acting...there was some absurd and hilarious acting, but i think it was intentional to create an absurd atmosphere.
    Also have to admit that the ending was succesful and well executed.

Now finally, John Carpenter!

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just watched Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter I thought it was possibly the best in the series so far. Like Deer Woman it felt like a full movie. It had a beginning , middle, and an end. If they added some more scenes it could have easily been a 90 min movie.

In the first 10 min. it reminded me of The Ninth Gate and then later on it leaned towards 8MM which quincidently Norman Reedus was in. Also interesting Udo Kier was in Blade and Norman Reedus was in Blade II. Another pretty cool thing about this movie is that EVERY actor in this film has either been in the past or will be in more horror movies. (besides this episode)
    Anyway great acting all around and some really cool FX. One quite surprising too. :D Doubt that one would have made the MPAA cut for the theaters.

So here's the question if you had a gun to your head, which movie would you watch? The film Le Fin du Monde or the tape from The Ring ----- :eek1: Its like a choice between getting eaten by a shark or mauled by a bear. :lol:

6. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

"Cigarette Burns" was EASILY the best of "MoH", not one other episode came close. Slow burn, creepy, mysterious and just enough gore. Way to go John!

7. Luna

Luna Guest

I meant to post last night, but I thought "Cigarette Burns" was excellent. I would personally rank this way up on the same top tier as Argento's and Gordon's episodes.
    Udo Kier ripping out and unravelling his own intestines on a spinning film reel
    has to be one of the more inventive and gory deaths I've seen in a long time. Carpenter truly did a great job with this!

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Loved it! Masters of Horror has been on a roll for the past month. I've enjoyed them all so far, but every episode since the disappointing DANCE OF THE DEAD (with maybe the exception of CHOCOLATE which was merely good) has been top notch.

9. Damed

Damed Guest

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Yeah, there's no chance in hell of me buying these at those prices.

11. Fidochippy

Fidochippy Guest

I got copies of these on DVD if anyone is looking to trade, as that pricing is BRUTAL!

12. David Lo Pan

David Lo Pan Guest

Me and my brother enjoyed the hell out of Carpenter's Cigarette Burns, but my favorite MoH remains Dreams in the Witch House. I've still got Landis' episode to watch (which I recorded w/ Carpenter's); hope to make some time for it tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2005
  13. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Goodness gracious. Carpenter's episode was amazing. Definetely the best in the series, i was at the edge of my seat the whole goddam time, and it's testament to Carpenter's genius that even with such silly source material he can create such a gripping episode...i think it's the silly script and concept that cause to it stay below masterpiece level.
    And he did it with such subtlelty where directorial tricks are concerned...nothing flashy, just knowing exactly how to tell the story with maximum impact without diverting attention to tricks. Amazing.

Nice touch that his son had composed the music...i was actually a bit worried before it started about the music, cause Carpenter has such a distinct style and what if they forced him to have some half-talent taking care of it...but no.

Was worth the wait!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2005
  14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I actually thought the concept was great. I loved the idea of a there being long lost film out there that's rumoured to be so scary/disturbing that it would cause irreversible damage to those who view it. I didn't think Carpenter used the idea to full advantage though. Some scenes were great but then some where hooky i.e the cut up Asian guy at the end babbling on about how he brought the film to the house. The lead character seems a bit disinterested and the ending scene with the intestine just seemed silly and out of place. I thought the concept was done allot better in Thesis and all be it about a book was also done better in The Ninth Gate. Overall I liked it but I would put it around 4th or 5th out of the 8 so far.

15. BoredSeal

BoredSeal Member

Carpenter episode was best :) I love you, John!

16. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Ash: Yeah, i also thought the lead character's actor wasn't really up to the task. What i meant with silly premise wasn't really so much about the idea about there being a film that's so disturbing it makes people lose it, but how the premise was treated in the expositions and the dialogue...it's kinda too bad John didn't write the movie, cause then it would've not been full of silly (what i call silly, anyway) dialogue about the "magic of movies" and trust we place on film-makers etc. So perhaps the concept wasn't silly, but it was sure treated silly in the script.
    i loved the ending with intestines and rambling butlers, though!

Agreed though that Ninth Gate is better, but exactly because the script is very serious and not full of bogus dialogue (Polanski always treats satanism in a coherent manner).

But damn, i truly hope Carpenter's new films come out soon, i'm dying to see them...to see quality genre-movies instead of these modern calculated hybrids that don't make any sense to me (even if they do to many of you). Guess i'm old-fashioned like that.

17. Dilmo

Dilmo Guest

I was so hyped up about this series, but I have to admit it is just so-so. Such a letdown from all this talent. :(

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I've yet to see any of these

So my dismay over the pricing cannot be overstated. What a disappointment. I know--whine, whine, whine.

Hope there's a box-set in the future.

19. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

wow that carpenter episode was the absolute worst. should of called it skid marks. la fin absolue du monde... what was it called? la fin absolue du monde. oh... la fin absolue du monde. you don't say? la fin absolue du monde. :cry:

the only thing successful with this episode was how much i wanted to rip out my intestines and gouge out my eyes because of it. like i was watching... la fin absolue du monde!

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I think "Deer Woman" and "Cigaretter Burns" now represent the low end of the series for me. Hope things pick up a bit in the new year. Still enjoying it, but nothing has topped "Jenifer" for me, although "Homecoming" is brilliant satire it's not exactly a horror-fest.