The Official Masters Of Horror Thread (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by Crystal Plumage, Jan 27, 2005.

1. It's a free Showtime weekend. I was amped to finally get a chance to see Masters Of Horror. What a tremedous letdown. I hope the worlds of music, movies and tv will someday choke on their condescension. I only ask to be entertained for my money (in this case it was technically free). The assumption by these people that we give two turds for their opinion of war depresses me to no end. Give me some inventive content with decent acting. The episode looked about as cutting edge as a student film. The fx were lame (which I can let slide) but the acting was God awful to boot. Please don't try to sell me on the concept that the acting was intentionally over the top because it was satire/camp or some other crap excuse for poor acting. I understand war is a touchy subject... it should be. But pissing and moaning about it isn't daring. I thought the most enjoyable part was the voice impersonation of Bush... I laughed out loud (and I do lean to the right). Other than that there was no entertainment value to this episode. These so called "creative" types have become so self absorbed they don't understand that they come off as "preachy" and not thought provoking. If I want "preachy" I'll tune into the O'Reilly Factor or watch Fahrenheit 9/11 (oddly enough Fahrenheit preceded this episode of Masters Of Horror). Romero use to use metaphors for social commentary. He was daring in the late 60's and 70's (yes Land Of The Dead sucked ass). Now days the challenge seems to be to produce something... anything... without trying to ram your political belief down the throat of the public. Nothing is more boring to me than your political ideas (likewise mine should bore you as well). I had seriously thought about switching from HBO to Showtime just to get this series. I realize its just one episode but for now I'll stick with HBO and their original programming and maybe rent the season on dvd when issued. And to top it all off CBS has axed Threshold which really torks me off... thats a complaint for another time.

2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Fuck it. I'll be checking out the free episode tonight.

3. Yes but the true question is...would the Republicans have fucked Jenifer?

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes and without a condom. And would keep the baby.

5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

:rolleyes: Really??? I never would have guessed.

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I really liked last nights episode. Obviously the social/political commentary wasn't even remotely veiled, but that was part of its charm. I really got a kick out of the whole thing. The idea of zombies returning to life not to eat flesh. but to vote? Hilarious. I didn't mind that the acting was overdone and hammy, it was supposed to be. At least, I sure hope so. This is probably my second favorite episode, right behind Jenifer.

7. DVD Zombie

DVD Zombie Guest

I liked this episode, even if I disagree with most of the politics behind it. This is EXACTLY how entertainment types should express political views. What pisses me off is when they just go on talk shows and throw verbal jabs, ala Tim Robbins. Joe Dante used his talent to make his point, and I respect that.

I didn't care for the ending, though. Total cheese.

~Zombie

8. sacateca

sacateca Guest

i thought this was brilliant...i've never ever liked a movie/tv-episode with a major political agenda before. Damn, i didn't even expect to like Dante's episode one bit.

9. indiephantom

Hilarious episode. I agree that political messages through fiction are often more powerful than in the documentary form. I haven't seen "Small Soldiers" but I wonderful if that is a kind of allegorical film also. :p Dante is really really good, and kudos to Sam Hamm for a great adaptation of that story.

10. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Showtime wasn't free here. :(

11. philxus

philxus New Member

:fire: DUDE,WHAT`S UP WITH THAT MOVIE "CHOCOLATE" MEN, THAT MOVIE IS SO GAY THAT I HAD TO CHANGE THE CHANNEL ON THE FIRST HALF HOUR,SPECIALY THE PART THE GUY GOT FUCK BY THE INDIAN GUY!!!AND HE ENJOYED!!! :fucked: WHO THE HELL WANT TO SEE THAT CRAP? :fuck:

12. Alien Redrum

Alien Redrum New Member

ZOMG I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!11!1!ONEUNOONE8888!! WTF LOLICOPTOR!

13. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Can't wait for this to come out on DVD! I just hope that a) I'll have lots and lots of money to buy it, cuz it's aint goan be cheap and b) that I will have time to watch it. I have about 30 DVDs since idon'tknowwhen I still haven't got through and about a gazillion TV-shows ... and films running in cinemas ... and then i have tests and essays and work ... ughhhhhh

14. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Did someone send you a box of marijuana-laced chocolates, or are you just naturally stupid?

I've been busy this weekend, so I'll have to catch Homecoming tonight.

15. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I thought "Homecoming" was absolutely brilliant. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to politics which may have been why I was able to enjoy it so much. Whether I personally agree or disagree with the film's message really doesn't matter. What does matter is that it was well made and told its story very well. It was at times funny, frighteneing, ironic, thought provoking, and genuinely touching. Its the best George Romero film that Romero never made.

BTW, did anyone notice Romero's name on one one of the headstones?

16. indiephantom

Yeah, there were other directors too...

17. Luna

Luna Guest

I didn't notice the other directors names. Could you tell me if any of them were involved in the project? I was thinking maybe he was on the headstone because he had to drop out of the project, but if there were others on the headstones who had done an episode, that shoots my theory straight to hell. :)

18. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Jacques Tourneur was on a tombstone as well. I didn’t notice anymore. They both directed zombie films, so I figure that’s the connection. Great episode by the way. The only one so far I would consider watching again. The others had their moments, but this was the first to actually use the format for something other than sex and violence ( which is good to of course). I mean, I couldn’t see any major studio releasing “Homecoming” in the theaters.

19. Luna

Luna Guest

Yeah, I figured the zombie film thing was a given. I need to watch that episode again and see how many other names I can make out. :)

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought "Homecoming" was pretty good. I would say it's my least favorite so far though. I don't mind the political angle I just would of liked it to be subtler, in a deathdream sort of way. Even though I did agree with Dante’s message It would have been more enjoyable it wasn't rammed down my throat.