The Official Masters Of Horror Thread (MERGED)

Discussion in 'General' started by Crystal Plumage, Jan 27, 2005.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yep. That's the one I got. It's a really accurate adaptation, even some of the shots Argento uses are framed straight from the comic panels. Some differences in the comic: the main character was a hunter, not a cop. The story appears to take place to take place in the 20s or 30s, not modern times. The order of the first two murders are reversed. The last murder is something Argento came up with. The sex scenes are far more implied and not explicit.

The artwork is terrific. I love Bernie Wrightson. I wish I had a scanner to share it you guys.

2. Luna

Luna Guest

I knew about that but never actually saw the comic... thanks for that! Damn, I miss Creepy. :cry:

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

that kinda makes sense now after seeing the movie, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Did they make reprints of those comics?

No problem, Now It makes me want to get the whole comic series after what maybrick just described.

P.S. - theres a funny Poll about Jenifer on this forum:
    http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?p=372416#post372416

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Hey Baggio, thanks for posting the "Jenifer" pics in the other thread.

That CREEPY story would be great to find. It really does make sense about the setting in the 20's or 20's as far as the Carnival element goes...but I really like Argento/Weber's update.

5. maybrick

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

No problem, I only wish there was a better pic of Jenifer from the movie. That one dosen't really show the large black eyes.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. your right they are not too expensive. Unfortunately someone picked up that auction already.

8. maybrick

Here's another one for 3.95.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores

If this was released today, it would no doubt sell new at the newstand with a $7-8 cover price, so 3.95 is a damned good deal for a 31 year old comic.

Although I see that there's another bidder so who knows how high it will go now. It is likely that Masters of Horror has made this comic a valuable commodity for the short term.

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I finished watching Chocolate awhile ago. I had my doubts about this one, but I found it to be a pretty enjoyable episode. It evenly balanced a nice sense of mystery with a general sense of intrigue. I loved the flashes the lead would get. They gave the episode a somewhat surreal vibe, and helped make the mystery more mysterious in a dreamy vein. Him feeling what the woman feels was also interesting, and at times, amusing.
    The scene where the lead is feeling the woman's sexual encounter cracked me up, even moreso when is ex and kid walked in.
    I really liked the music in this episode, and the acting was fine on all fronts.

I didn't care for the narration approach, and the lead was pretty much a dweeb, not that that's really a problem, hehe. The ending could've been a little stronger, though I did like
    how she tricks him into thinking she felt things too, and that she believes him. I also liked the added touch of him feeling what it's like to die through his connection with her.
    Overall, a pretty entertaining episode. While I prefer the first three episodes to this one, it was definitely more to my liking than last week's disappointment.

Next week's episode from Dante looks golden. Aside from Carpenter's episode, this is the one I'm most looking forward to.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

my thoughts on this weeks entry Chocolate is that except for the last 10 min. of the movie, it felt like a Twilight Zone episode. Just strange and wierd. At one point I was like WTF. I thought the gore at ending felt pushed. It had that "lets throw it in" just to please the horror fans. In this episode it felt way out of place. Not a bad movie but just not up to par with the last 4, nor the last four's horror feel. This was more like a Zone feel.

11. indiephantom

Cujo, this was the fifth episode so far...did you miss one? Anyway, I agree with your thoughts on "Chocolate" down to a tee. Actually, this feels like one that's really going to grow on me. Lots of stuff happening there and my God, can I just say right now that Henry Thomas is a great actor. Reminds me of Christian Bale...two underrated guys that started with Spielberg. Anyway, he was really solid and joins the other male leads I found really impressive in the series so far. Actually, the acting has been pretty up to scratch across the board.

Also loved that Mick decided to let Vancouver play Vancouver!! :banana: I used to live around Gastown, so these locations in the latter half were really familiar. Nice tribute to the city that is doing the location work for most of these episodes (except Miike's I gather). Another great scene
    bathtub masturbation! Although, I honestly felt the chick he met in the grocery store was much hotter

Another great touch
    King's "Desperation"...now I'm really looking forward to that one.

But yeah, next week's Dante episode looks brilliant. Can't wait. :glasses:

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Nah, I've seen them all, though I never did get around to posting my thoughts on Gordon's episode due to being busy that weekend. I loved it, and the only disappointment so far for me was last week's ep.

Cool to read that. I agree with all of your points, aside from the grocery store girl being hotter. ;) Another thing I loved about the episode is how it had film noirish qualities. It really seemed like a horror/noir combo at times.

13. indiephantom

indeed. The scenes in his bedroom had an amazingly "noirish" look.

Can't believe you didn't like the Argento episode. :hum: But it seems to have divided many.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I checked out Chocolate today and enjoyed it. I thought it was one of the more original episodes so far. This is turning out to be a great series.

15. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Again a good episode!

i have just a minor technical complaint...that is, it looked a bit too much like a tv-episode, i think this has to do mostly with limited space for the camera to move and lighting...(and this is the first episode i noticed it, whilst all the others could've just as well been movies) But as i said, this is minor and was still a very nice one...i guess the DP wasn't as good as on the others.

16. Luna

Luna Guest

I didn't chime in the night I saw it because I was busy, but I enjoyed this latest episode as well. It wasn't as good as Gordon's or Argento's for me, but it's definitely on par with the first one (Coscarelli's) which I did enjoy quite a bit. Excellent series so far, with only one disappointing episode which of course for me would be Hooper's Dance of the Dead.

17. David Lo Pan

David Lo Pan Guest

Gordon's and Argento's have definitely been my favorite episodes so far (I'd probably bang Jenifer if I was loaded, and avoid looking at her face), but I've got to agree with some of the folks here; I was pleasantly surprised with Mick Garris' Chocolate. It was good stuff.

18. Luna

Luna Guest

This week's episode was excellent! Okay, so the political/social commentary wasn't exactly thinly veiled or anything, but I enjoyed the satire quite a bit.

19. indiephantom

This looks like an amazing episode and the internet is buzzing about it. Mostly getting into political debates which is always fun. :cool:

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Sorry, but my opinion is this was the worst episode in the the series so far. How dare they enter this in the collaboration of "Masters of Horror" Showtime should be embarassed, as well as the other directors. If Dante wanted to make a political film, fine, just do it in some other venue. Just not here. Its the wrong place.

But even if they toned down the political issue, it was still boring, not scary or suspenseful. Quite dull. The first 3 minutes were good. Then right off the cliff................

"This is a horror story because most of the characters are Republicans," director Joe Dante announced before the November 13 world premiere of his latest movie, Homecoming, at the Turin Film Festival."

Thats what we need, another Michael Moore , Tim Robbins, Susan Surrandon, etc, etc, etc.... crybaby.

Get over it, you lost, move on. Besides you'll have another 8 years to bitch some more after 2008.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005