The New Mutants (2018) X-Men Horror movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It started out pretty good, but near the end, when all hell breaks loose, it almost felt like another movie.
    I actually started to nod off, during the silly climax.

I enjoy Marvel movies, but the X-men movies are pretty bad.
    Except for Logan, and the gory R-rated version of the 2013 Wolverine movie, I haven't really been a fan of the series.
    Remove Wolverine, and the rest of the cast is pretty boring and forgettable, compared to the Avengers.
    I kinda liked the original when it came out 20 years ago, but after re-watching the first 3 movies, damn have they aged terribly.
    The wire stunts in the first one, already looked bad in 2000.
    Fox never got the hang of how to make really good Marvel movies.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The reason to see this is Anya Taylor-Joy, she plays a super powered bitch very well. The rest of the movie is underwhelming and this is coming from someone who is a fan of the majority of the X-films.

ImmortalSlasher and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. Bobholly

Bobholly New Member

I loved it. But it works best if you have read piles of New Mutants comics. So much is left out that would make the film easier to understand.

4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

This movie is on demand now so I checked it out. It starts off ok for the most part. But it feels low budget compared to the other X-Men movies. You could pass on seeing this on the big screen. I felt cheated a bit on the horror too. I just rewatched that first trailer and it sold the horror element. The horror is there in the movie, it's just not that dark. I think those Freddy wall scenes from the trailer are gone as well unless I just missed them. There are parts which reminded me of an old show called Tower Prep.

It was also about kids in a locked facility although a school in Tower Prep, but it had mystery and horror elements. They never released Tower Prep on DVD or Blu-ray. Or answered the cliffhanger at the end of Season 1. Still I would recommend finding that show in HD. I downloaded it some years back from somewhere I can't remember.

The acting is fine in New Mutants and I guess you could say hits the current elements. But this just feels like a waste of time. It will go nowhere and barely connects to the rest of the X-Men films. I can't believe this is how they ended the X-Men films. The X-Men are just mentioned once or twice. I can't believe they even had thoughts of a trilogy from this movie. It's seems to be one of those I know people in charge so they gave me a job even if my plan isn't that good.

And what about the producers in charge of this movie? When they knew the series was ending, why didn't they let the director at least do a reshoot to tie it into the X-Men? There are a bunch of problems with New Mutants. For example, the strength of the so called bad guy in this movie. Which this is a spoiler.

At one point, the person who has a force field over the hospital is drugged. So you would think the force field would drop? It is just her. That's the thing about the low budget. It's just the kids and this doctor for the most part. So this doctor comes off not as strong as she should be to be able to contain these 5 kids all by herself. Especially if she's easily drugged.

So in the end, I would have added an X-Jet scene at the end. But that's just me and thinking about a good conclusion and not a trilogy that wasn't going to happen.