The New Mutants (2018) X-Men Horror movie

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Oct 16, 2017.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If you watch anything using the CW app they are still promoting The New Mutants as coming to theaters early April. It's a little amusing, but only a little.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Lol, just a little amusing but mostly sad :p

I do feel bad for everyone involved in this film. It must suck to just have your film sitting there for years after all the work that's gone into it.

Myron Breck likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

Here's a few new still that were recently released:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steel76 and russweiss like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Apparently the Amazon pre-order was a goof, and a new theatrical date has been set for August 28th:

[​IMG]

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Personally I was looking forward to seeing this in the theater so I hope it comes about.

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I like the poster art. I like that alot.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The movie have been delayed so many times, that I don't trust release dates anymore.
    But maybe this time...

8. russweiss

The Regal theater chain is set to reopen on July 10th. In the email I received they still list New Mutants as one of their upcoming features. Let's hope it's true.

9. maybrick

I went to see this today (lowered Covid-19 price only $5!). It isn’t a ground breaker but I liked it enough. My wife liked it and she doesn’t like superhero movies. The horror elements weren’t super unsettling but they might still give nightmares to a youngster new to the genre. Shorter than I expected it to be. The theater’s page says it was 2 hrs but I don’t think it was much more than 90 minutes. It did feel like some scenes were missing here and there. A fairly decent introduction to the characters unfortunately hampered by the fact that there will never be a followup. A shame.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. russweiss

I was hoping to see this in the theater but California hasn't allowed any theaters to open yet. They've been closed now for over 5 months with no end in sight.

11. maybrick

Unlike.

12. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Hoping Belasco shows up in it from the Majik story arc. Great marvel miniseries of about 3 or 4 issues that were good horror stuff.

Well, if the future marvel stuff cannot be filmed, I think it would be groundbreaking if they reimagined the films' characters as some comic book titles. Just an idea. Ridiculous if it worked....

13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Yeah that sucks, man. The Alamo Draft Houses here in Dallas officially opened last week. Haven't been yet but super excited about having a calendar of theirs to check for upcoming flicks/events.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that the re-shoots never happened:

"Indeed, the rumor at the time was that Boone initially pitched The New Mutants as a horror movie but Fox instead asked him to shoot the film more like a PG-13 thriller, but then the studio was rumored to have changed its mind and wanted reshoots to then amp up the horror and potentially move towards an R-rating. That never ended up happening, and the film is now being released as PG-13 for “violent content, some disturbing/bloody images, some strong language, thematic elements and suggestive material.”"

https://collider.com/new-mutants-no-reshoots-reason-why/

Too bad.
    Re-shoots to add more horror and violence is rarely a bad thing.
    Worked well for The Fog (1980) and Halloween 2 (1981) :D

Haven't seen the movie yet, opening next week over here.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Yep, reshoots never happened and apparently some other stuff was removed from the film too. The few reviews I've seen mentioned the film felt like scenes were missing.

16. maybrick

There’s one part where Ilyana freaks out and disappears, but then a few scenes later she comes roaring back with a vengeance and kicking serious ass. It would have helped to see why and how she overcame her fear, because otherwise it feels like a plot hole.

ImmortalSlasher and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. Christy

Christy Active Member

Eagerly been wanting to see this despite bad reviews.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I finally rented this. It's pretty generic, but perfectly fine. Certainly more watchable than a majority of the shit Marvel churns out. I'm sure the Marvel cult will disagree, as this one seems way more concerned with the teen drama than the superhero shenanigans, laser fights, and grown men running around yelling "pew pew pew". There's sort of an Elm Street element where their fears are coming after them, and the Anya Taylor Joy character's "fear" is basically a rip-off of the villains in Buffy's "Hush" episode, so I appreciated that the movie actually acknowledges that and you see that very episode playing on the TV. It was nice that the movie is accessible, as you don't have to have seen the first 20 X-Men movies to follow it, you can just jump right in. I also appreciated the 90 minute running time.

Also, they were selling this as the Marvel horror movie... eh. It's probably darker in tone than a majority of their fare, but as a horror movie it's pretty mild.

So yeah, it's a decent watch, but probably not one I'd revisit. It's a bummer that the entire movie feels like the set-up for a movie that is never going to happen. But oh well.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

As a Marvel fan I do disagree New Mutants is better than majority of those :p (Seriously, it's way worse than majority of those lol).

I found this kind of bland. The teen drama stuff made the film feel like it was dragging it's feet throughout the majority of its run-time. I enjoyed Anya Taylor-Joy and some of the more horror inspired bits, but even at 90 mins I felt pretty bored with this and never felt like it was going anywhere interesting.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  20. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Anya Taylor Joy was good in The Witch. And I'm probably one of the few that thought Morgan was a clever movie with a surprise twist ending. So I'm looking forward to this a bit more now. Although I did read a story about some of the original plot elements that were going to tie it to the X-Men movies and that sounded terrible. The best thing will be when all these Marvel characters are together in the same universe.

I was thinking about a Marvel and horror and remembered the old Spider-Man comic series when he was missing for like 5 issues or so. Every cover was dark. I have to find those issues. I know they have a Marvel Zombies series now. But that just seems to be one of those things that is jumping on the popular zombie thing going these days.