The Mist

Discussion in 'General' started by BloodMan, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I finally saw this last night in a very empty theater. Can't really complain about that. No friggin' brats or cells to hinder my viewing experience. :D This is a very enjoyable adaptation and the only minus was the shoddy CGI. (Big shock!) The partially seen crab(?) creature in the parking lot was kinda cool. King is a genius for setting this "apocalyptic" story in a very familiar place- the grocery store. The story was a strange blend of 50's monster movies and Serling's Twilight Zone. Remember that one episode with the neighbors turning on each other because of fear? We can be the real monsters. I had no gripes with Darabont's downbeat ending. Never cared for King's open ending. So, this one felt right.

2. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Went to see this tonight! I thought it was very, very good. Borderline great and I do see some love potential in the future, but ... there was one sequence that I just felt they did wrong. And no, it wasn't the ending.

Very minor plot spoiler:
    The attack in the storage room simply didn't work for me. It wasn't just the unconvincing CGI (which, btw, was the only special effect in the film that bugged me (hoho) - it was just too ... shiny ...), although that was a part of it, but I thought the characters and their motivations in that scene felt false. Thomas Jane wasn't nearly as anxious to keep the Norm the bag boy from going out and the stupid guys just didn't seem stupid enough not to listen to him.
    I remember how convincing I felt King made this scene in the novella, so I was very disappointed in how they did it in the movie. It just took me out of the film for a while.

However, Darabont threw me right back in for the rest of the ride, and what a ride! As a Stephen King adaptation, this film is among the best. And by that I mean best as in faithful to the original material and a good movie, too. The opening scenes at the house were almost exactly as I had imagined them to be in the book.

I loved all the performances (even the little kid. He did some great work. The male Dakota Fanning? :p), especially the women. Screen goddesses Frances Sternhagen and Marita Covarrubias made me geek out while Marcia Gay Harden almost stole the movie. She was fantastic. I wouldn't even rule out a Oscar nomination, seeing as both she and Darabont are Academy darlings. I loved how she made the character truly her own.

This was such a nice little loveletter to King, his fans and horror in general. I mean, by having David painting the Dark Tower cover with The Thing poster hanging in the background .. I loved it! That little Carpenter nod seems to imply that Darabont is more than aware of that other film where nasty things came from within the fog ...

The monsters were great. I had expected the CGI to annoy me, but only the tentacles in the aforementioned scene didn't work, in my opinion. I guess it's no use to hate CGI in horror anymore - it's here to stay and it doesn't seem to be getting much better. The spiders were cool but I really dug the flies. They were yucky. And those huge, silhouetted things ... Loved them!

Overall, I was very pleased with this film. I could have done without the downer ending, but then again I didn't find it problematic either. I'm guessing, though, that a lot of people will be talking much more about the ending of the film than the rest of it, which kind of draws attention away from the great work Darabont did on this movie. Highly recommended, but I suggest people read the story first! Even though it and the film are nearly identical plotwise, King just has this ... extra something that makes the story classic while the film is just Very Good.

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Really out-of-place music!

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

That scene (especially the CGI involved) you noted _pi_ is the one thing that is keeping me from throwing The Mist five stars. The more I think about the movie, the more I like it. I keep finding new layers that it worked on. Also, it cut me at a level most movies only dream of, and I respect that. However, when I think of that one scene I grimace and cannot do it. It's gumming up the works.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Yeah, that scene was just wrong in so many ways.

Has anyone read the Ebert review yet? I completely disagree with his star rating, but most of the thing he says I can't help but agree with - although a lot more positively. I love it that Darabont chose the "wrong" story after Shawshank and The Green Mile. I'm guessing Ebert has forgotten or is unaware of Darabont's roots in the film industry.

I also love fact that Marcia Gay Harden gave her "implausible", "unplayable" role all she had. This is such an unashamed B-movie and nobody is trying to excuse that fact. I think Ebert knows that, I think it's just not what he wanted.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I liked the movie. Never read the book. Ending.... Thats a tuff one.
    A sucks to be you moment.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Count me in as another that really enjoyed the film. Although I've liked all three of Darabont's films as a director, I was starting to tire of his overt sentimentality - and apparently so was he! He pulls no punches with this, and the ending took brass balls, to be sure. I don't think the ending works logically, but considering the fulfilling punch line, I'll cut the man some slack.

The CGI was bad in some spots, but great in others. One of my favorite shots all year was
    at the end when they look up from the jeep to see that large, mammoth like creature just shambling along.
    Darkly poetic, a sort of indication of our relative size to the world. I know I'll always look for some sort of Iraq commentary in contemporary films ;), but honestly I think there's plenty here, and it's quite effective. If there's one thing scarier than aliens, it's war.

Highly recommended folks, listen to everyone else and see this beast!

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

You will be able to take the soul sucking depression of The Mist home on March 18, 2008!

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

With spring about to surface at that point, I'm going to need something to tarnish any potential joyous outlook on life. This news is perfect.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I just saw this tonight for the first time. I'm glad I stayed spoiler free up to this point. Never read the story so I can only comment on the film. One word. Awesome.

I, unlike some of you, found the small score at the end quite haunting and welcome. And what an ending that was. I haven't seen a film with such a pay off in a long time. I'm buying this one for sure, hopefully in a Blu-ray edition.

11. MrVess

MrVess Guest

So, it is coming, after all, and apparently no changes have been made in the DVD version...

By the way, I find it a bit annoying that the ending seems to be all that anyone talks about when mentioning this film, because its whole body is good; better than the ending, in fact. Still, since you can't deny that it's the ending that will be most remembered... would you prefer another one? And what kind of an ending, then?

http://snappoll.com/poll/257546.php

12. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Loved the ending, but it may have been better if it had ended like the novella-open ended. You know, I really think this film would have been successful had it been released during the summer months. Essentially it is a thought provoking film in the guise of a popcorn flick, kind of like a "Bourne" horror flick. Those movies have proven to do well in the summer, as well as Jeepers Creepers, and Halloween (2007).

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

IGN has a review up for the 2-disc edition in which two reviewers disagree on the film itself. The B&W version gets a pretty positive review, and the extras sound great.

Unsure if I'll be blind-buying, however.

14. MrVess

MrVess Guest

15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Well it's no Leprechaun that's for sure.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I recently watched the DVD and found that it was pretty entertaining. It didn't hurt that I went into it with low expectations. I didn't find the CG to be as bad as people made it out to be and in general it was a decent film. I liked where they went with the ending. It took a lot of Cajones to do something like that!

17. Spit

Spit Active Member

Finally got around to seeing this one, and was pleasently suprised. I'd lost faith in Stephen King movies, but this one was definatly the best thing hes done in 5 years.

18. BubbaG

BubbaG Guest

Finally watched it and agree the music seemed out of place to me too.

Also, though I like down beat endings rather than stereo typed Hollywood endings, capping his kid and the others seemed out of character. You would think he would at least check outside first, rather quickly killing everyone.

A better ending to me would have been:

They are in the car and he is about to cap them and they hear the sounds and feel the vibrations and think they are about to be killed by a big critter, but they see the silhouette of a tank and some soldiers.

I also though that 95% of the people in the store giving in to the religious nut was too high. Perhaps 20% would have drank the koolaid- not nearly all of them.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, definitely! BTW: Welcome to the forum!

20. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

I think 95% is closer, how people really do believe in the big invisible guy that lives in clouds.