The Mist

Discussion in 'General' started by BloodMan, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The film only cost 17 million dollars, which isn't the kind of budget one would normally associate with top-notch CG effects.

2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Awesome !

Really ,really enjoyed this one.It was like a cross between my favorite H.P. Lovecraft stories, and John Carpenter's The Thing. One of the best monster movies to come along in some time, with a real fucked up, honest, non typical ending.A real honest to God horror movie on the big screen for once.I really had this feeling of dread as I watched it.The acting and charcter reactions were plausible. For the most part the effects were good, some a little cheezy but it didn't take away from the story or suspense. Also of note, it's the first movie in a long time I've been to where people were actually clapping and cheering at the actions on screen. Hands down my favorite Stephen King adaptation yet.I will be seeing it again and buying it on dvd.

3. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I read this in high school and really enjoyed it so I'm a little hesitant to see it on the big screen. But with all the positive reviews, sounds like I need to check it out.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

:D Saw this today . . . and I must say that the film contains a solid amount of suspense to keep you on your seat, glued and attentive. I thought the fx were actually impressively good. Especially when . . .(Highlight spoiler)--> when it gets into super-mode heights in terms of a creature's size. (<---------Spoiler End . . . .)

Thomas Jane was superb in this, though i like his work a lot and I favor everything he does. He did good here.

The only thing I can say is that yes, the ending on this took a lot of guts. In today's screened films, this ending would have been slashed in favor of a happier, more consumer friendly one. The fact that they went with this is a shock. It is a sad ending but in ways very realistic and more ideal to this type of film. So I recommend this film all the way. A fun ride. Worth owning on dvd on release day.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  5. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Loved this... I... yeah... it still haunts me... I have to see it again... scary, intense, emotional stuff... wow... I wiped my teary eyes at certain points... wow... BIG fan of that short story... have read it 6 times...

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Really enjoyed this one and loved the ending. If you think about it, It could have easily been called the Fog and is what the remake should have been. This along with 1408 makes for two great Stephen King adaptations this year.

7. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

I really didn't like this film.

My biggest problem was the really horrible CGI. It just took me out of the film completely. Watching characters run around a grocery store flailing away at CG bugs caused me to laugh out loud. Way too many characters that I didn't give a shit about as well and poorly developed (the "relationship" between the army dude and the clerk seemed like it was thrown in just for an attempt to emotionally engage the audience for what ultimately happens to hime. lame)

I was thoroughly unimpressed (especially with the ending, which becomes blatantly obvious as soon as we see the "bullets") :rolleyes:

8. Just saw this last night. I loved it. I'm a fan of the original short story and this movie certainly did it justice. And wow what an ending! That was the biggest kick to the nuts I've had while watching a film in a long time. I'm just shocked that it was in a mainstream Hollywood film, usually they don't go for the bleak depressing endings like that.

Anyway, great film. This film actually gave me the creeps, especially when
    they went to the pharmacy and they found the dead people in the spiderwebs and the MP in the spiderweb that was alive...and then thousands of tiny spiders came out of him *shudder*

The only minor gripes I had with it were some of the CG effects ( some looked great, but some looked cheesy), and the sudden music towards the end.

But an excellent film overall. I can't wait to see what Darabont does with King's The Long Walk.

PS did anyone find it awesome that
    David not only did the poster art for John Carpenters The Thing, but that he was working on a poster for The Dark Tower? It was great to see a connection to The Dark Tower in a movie finally, even if it was only a painting of Roland. I don't know if anyone else in the audience I saw it with got that reference, but when I saw Roland I got a really big fanboy smile on my face.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  9. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I also liked the reference to Thomas Jane's own comic Bad Planet (he grabs an issue in the pharmacy, there was also an issue of The Goon beside it). Jane is a big horror movie and comic book fan, and it really shows.

10. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

Flat-out great film. Very little music aside from the Dead Can Dance bit, and suffused with dread from start to end. There was a marine layer approaching the theatre in which I'd seen the movie, which added to the entire experience!

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thought it was very good,strong cast,ample suspence,graphic mayhem and some nice effects.While I predicted the ending,it was still very effective.Pretty dark flick for a mainstream horror pic.

12. Dwhots

Dwhots New Member

Just got back to it and I loved it. Other than a few niches, namely some CGI, I thought it was great. And the ending blew my mind and it made perfect sense when you think about it
    -highlight below, I forgot how to do that spoiler thing.
    the woman asking for help survived with her kids, all those who did not help her burned in hell so to speak, as she said it.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I agree that the CGI of some of the bigger creatures wasn't very good, but it didn't really bother me because it's more of a people story than a monster story. Hell, Marcia Gay Harden was scarier than anything out there in the mist anyway. :nervous:

I really liked the movie. It was very well done and well acted. The script was good too, and I was really concerned with the well being of the characters. Hence,
    I can honestly say I have never been so pucked by a movie in my life. That ending was CRUEL. I mean, GOD DAMN. Not only does he kill everyone, he has to realize that they were minutes from safety and that he was perhaps the biggest overreacting guy of the whole bunch. He looked his son in the eye and blew him away for nothing. Crazy church lady had nothing on him. My jaw was on the floor. Mortified, my mind immediately starting scanning the movie to try and find some inconsistency that would enable me to say that ending SUCKED, but it fit. It fit perfectly. It was all right there, I was just too busy rooting for David Drayton to notice. Damn it. They got me. I still feel so bad for those poor people.

The actual cinema I saw this in was packed, but there was hardly anyone in the theater for The Mist. I can't help but think that Thanksgiving Weekend wasn't the best release date for this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  14. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Yes, I can't believe how bad this is flopping at the box-office. 9th for the weekend? Guys, we must get out and support this great film!

If this isn't a hit, we can look forward to more remakes and Saw ripoffs. :(

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Went to this last night. It was decent, not as good I was hoping from all the reviews here. I really liked the ending, but the as soon as the
    "rift to another world"
    was revealed it just became meh. Story-wise, it was decent. It's worth watching, and I did enjoy the perfomances and ending, but definately over-hyped. And there are two HUGH faults with this film: 1)Really really horrible CGI. At the end it says KNB did the make-up effects and creatures, but not once do I remember looking at a creature and not thinking CGI. 2)I want to punch the Director of Photography in the dick. Wost cinematography I have seen in a movie in the last 5 years. There were so many bad focus pulls (and no, it was not the projector) and too many documentary-style quick zooms and follow-ups that did not fit the feel of the film, as the cinematography was very Hollywood. All of a sudden there's a camera shake, a quick zoom, and a bad focus pull. For no real cinematic reason. This happened way too often, and I was taken out of the movie too many times because of this. Overall, because of the ending, I'll give it 1 star more that I normally would. *** out of *****.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i saw it and thought it was awesome way better than 1408 which made a lot more money if this would of been released in the summer i bet it would of made as much as 1408 i can't believe the crappy hitman movie made more than this

17. Yeah Hitman looked godawful, I don't know how that piece of shit beat The Mist.

The Weinsteins need to learn when to release their horror. Family holidays generally aren't the best time to release them. I mean first Grindhouse on Easter weekend, now The Mist the day before Thanksgiving. The Mist isn't a very happy film either...it's great, but it doesn't exactly leave you with a happy feeling after watching it, well apart from being happy that they finally released a great horror movie after so long.

They are going to think that we don't want anything semi-original, so we will just get Saw ripoffs and remakes. All because they don't know how to manage their releases.

18. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

Best critic's remark all year: "The only thing "Hitman" whacked was off."

19. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

One of the best endings ever!

20. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

They only designed the creatures, they didn't create them practically (apart from a few small moments here and there).