The Messengers

Discussion in 'General' started by Mortis, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Sunflowers Everywhere! New 'Messengers' Pics

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=5615&Template=newsfull

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

This was filmed near where I live. I know a lot of the crew who worked on it.

3. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Sony to Send Their 'Messege' in January

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=5684&Template=newsfull

4. This looks to be a good one.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I know why it's getting pushed back. I know probably half the crew that worked on this, and they have to do some reshoots, including ones at the farm they filmed at. And since there is snow on the ground here, and it was filmed in summer, they have to wait till summer to film the last of the reshoots.

6. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Anyone seen this yet?

ITs the Pang BRother's for GOD'S SAKE!!!

7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I saw it this morning. It was pretty good. Not much blood, though

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

coming from the perspective of a Pang Brothers fan, this was a disappointment. there were a few moments of suspense and a great shot here and there, but not enough to get excited about. 4 out of 10

9. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

I saw it and it is definitely one of the better PG-13 horror films of recent memory. That still isn't much of a compliment. There are a few somewhat suspenseful shots that are pretty good, but the rest falls flat. Plus most of this movie takes place in the daytime, which I found lame. The plot was pretty unorginal with an ending you could see a mile away. Some stuff doesn't make sense either. The acting is also not too great, especially towards the end. There were some good scenes though, but I can't reccomend this. Oh, and there are some good effects and cinematography in here too.

10. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Oh and I just caught this. The summary in this thread for the film said "As the farm begins to revive after years of disrepair, the family begins to notice uncomfortable and alarming changes in their father's behavior. " This is definitely not the way the movie went. That plot sound more like the movie Darkness, which I thought was a good movie. Darkness actually could have benefitted from the money and effects of this film.

11. Big Sick

Big Sick Guest

I didn't like this film at all, its comparable to the grudge only by far, worse.

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I caught up with this today. I was planning on it being a rental but my GF wanted to see it and I noticed it was directed by the Pang brothers so I though why not. Anyway I thought it was borderline OK. Lots of annoying attempted jump scared which I'm not a fan of especially when it's not earned. The drama between the family members was tolerable and It got some what more interesting towards the end. Overall though I should of listen to my instincts and save this for my blockbuster 2 for 1 coupon. It was better then The Grudge 2 which I saw the other night though that's for sure.

13. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I took my little sister to see this film tonight (I'm trying to raise her as a horror film fanatic :D) and although it was competently made and had a few creepy moments as well as some definite suspense, I really must say this was one of the most stupid ass films I've seen in a long, long while.

Point 1: If the ghosts are trying to warn the family about the killer, then why scare them to death and hurt them and almost kill them? What was the point of that?

Point 2: Why didn't the ghosts just kill the villain as soon as he set foot in the house if that was the whole point anyway?

Of course, without those two enormous plot holes, there wouldn't have been much of a movie. The writers might have been forced to actually make a script that made sense. God forbid these people having to think too much. :rolleyes:

The best thing about this was seeing a new, improved trailer for The Reaping. Looks like a fun Dark Castle film - lots of colors and action! :D

14. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I'm afraid it is a very bad and boring film. I advise you to avoid it! :)

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Thanks for the warning! But I still think I'll check it out :p

16. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

There is that choice scene where it appears that Mr. Swank pissed her pants. Almost made it worth it.

17. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Finally caught up with this movie last night. I was actually rather pleased with this offering from the Pang brothers. Worthy of a watch if it's on the box, me thinks.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I realized that I had the DVD of Messengers 2: The Scarecrow and had never seen it, so decided to revisit the first and check out both movies.

To be honest, they were pretty dull. I guess the sequel offered up some gore and gratuitous nudity, although I'm not really sure what was up with all the rape scenes? It was still kind of boring and predictable. The first movie is a big polished studio effort, but none of the characters have any sort of personality, so it's just not that interesting. Also, the twist where
    the ghosts were actually trying to warn and protect them from the real killer
    doesn't come across as well as it should have.

They both reminded me of a boring version of Sinister II. Which kinda makes me want to re-watch Sinister II, which I remember liking.

Anyway, big fat meh for Sony's The Messengers franchise.