The Matrix: Resurrections

Discussion in 'General' started by russweiss, Sep 17, 2021.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I thought it you saw more related to stuff like this.

russweiss likes this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I wish the video quality had been a bit better. It's been over 25 years since I saw Ghost in the Shell so I wouldn't have remembered any of the comparisons anyway.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Still haven't seen any of the trailers or ads for this, but having just finished the original trilogy I have to assume this will be one of those movies that wipes out the previous sequels and only follows the first movie considering that SPOILER ALERT
    Neo and Trinity are both pretty dead at the end of Revolutions.

I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Speaking of, Revolutions was a lot better than I remembered. Nowhere near as good as the original, but it's an exciting nonstop action / sci-fi spectacle. Reloaded was still kind of a turd though.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clear in the title Resurrections that it's a sequel.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This was... not good. Maybe a second viewing years from now it might click for me the way Matrix Revolutions did this time around, but I doubt it.

I was on board for the meta approach that takes up the first 40 minutes or so, but once it launches into being a dull copycat of the original movie my interest started fading aggressively. The big action / fighting set-pieces that are scattered throughout the original trilogy the way kills are in a Friday The 13th are largely missing-in-action here. Keanu and Carrie-Anne have an extra twenty years on them and were probably not willing to spend six-months in training the way they did on the original films, so instead most of the action consists of people shooting guns at Keanu and him simply waving his arms so that the bullets will fall away. I will say that the movie is at its best when Keanu and Carrie-Anne are together, but the major driving point of the narrative is them reuniting so they spend a majority of the movie apart.

I'm glad I took the time to revisit the original trilogy before this because I would have been totally lost if I hadn't. Tonally, it's really bizarre because it starts out as a meta-satire of sequels, remakes, and fandom before launching into being a very mediocre sequel / remake / fan-service vehicle. Then after the credits, they go back and give one last meta wink as if to say "gotcha!". I have no idea what they were thinking with the Morpheus character here, and I'm not sure why they would bother re-casting Smith. The Smith virus plotline was fully concluded in the original trilogy and Weaving is iconic in the role, so unless he himself was willing to come back for it, there was really no point in its inclusion here. It seemed like the only purpose of Smith was a fun callback for the fans, but Groff is not fun and sticks out like a sore thumb. Right off the bat, kicking off the movie with a re-creation of the original's opening scene only with cheap set design and cinematography gives the movie a very direct-to-video sequel feel. I would have thought the technology is there to insert the new actors into the original footage, but apparently not.

I guess looking at the day-and-date HBOMax release the way you would view a NetFlix Original or direct-to-streaming movie is fitting, because this feels like a movie you'd find on a streaming service. So I guess in terms of stuff like the direct-to-video AniMatrix or whatever, it is what it is.

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeesh, this was bad. It had a few good and interesting ideas scattered throughout but a lot more terrible ones too. The worst part was the action sucked and had no weight to it. Gun fights weren't visceral and just felt weird right from the start. Hand to hand combat felt poorly done and like a practice run.
    They nerfed Neo too. Now his powers are just putting up his hands and creating force fields. I was shocked how poorly this whole thing turned out. It was like watching an elaborate prank. Super disappointing and one of the worst films of the year.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Read some thoughts on reddits - from fellow geeks that love the original, though some of them love the trilogy and that makes me dubious of their opinions. Regardless, I'm actually considering skipping this movie entirely. I'm very much a person that believes in judging a movie on your own. However, the original Matrix always had a special place in my heart. Late 90s when I was own my own and living in California. I saw it at a drive in. Loved it. Bought the DVD. Bought the laserdisc. I have always loved it. Hated, hated, hated the sequels. I can no longer remember them. Only the original exists in my world (mind) and I'm thinking about keeping it that way.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this sucked. The worst of the bunch.
    The new characters was boring, and the action was badly shot, and just felt cheap in comparison to the older movies.
    They should have brought back Woo-Ping to do the fight scenes, as the ones we got now lacked any style.
    The movie just felt smaller in scope as well.

Totally pointless sequel.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

It is my least favorite of the films, but I didn't hate it. Go in expecting something akin to Wes Craven's New Nightmare and I don't think you'll be as let down. Though, as others have expressed, the most disappointing part was the action. The big finale took place entirely on a dark smokey street, which was very uninteresting.

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to watch The Matrix Resurrections at first. I was going to wait for a theater viewing. But I forgot it's on HBO Max and couldn't resist.

I'm not going to write a full review as I think it's worth watching a second time with the other three movies. And also because there were story elements that I didn't get or are missing, along with missing characters, and things I didn't understand the first time around. But I'm not going to do that rewatch for a while. I'll just post some points / feelings I had after watching the movie.

- I will always say never watch trailers. I never do for movies I'm looking forward to. After watching Matrix Resurrections, I went back and watched the trailers to see how they sold it and those make the movie seem really good. Better than the movie we received.

- Matrix Resurrections has some good parts but also some really bad parts. Stuff that will make you wonder what the director was thinking. It's a very up and down movie. Even when you think it's getting better it goes back to silly stuff. And you question at times if you should even put up with the movie. Maybe the director needed her sister to help with this one.

- I almost hate the meta, self aware, or inside joke movies. And Matrix Resurrections has tons of those scenes. Far too many in fact. To the point where at times the movie feels like an inside joke. Also like writers are out of ideas. If I saw this in the theater I would have found those joke parts difficult to sit through. It reminded me of Blair Witch 2 which was kind of an interesting twist. But in Matrix Resurrections it comes off like that boardroom scene in Tron Legacy which was terrible. The bad guy's name seems like an inside joke as well.
    Sadly there is an end credits moment in Resurrections which instead of giving us a good tease for a sequel brings back the worst moments of the movie.

- There are a lot of silly humor scenes in the movie. Far more when compared to the previous movies. And it comes off odd when dealing with the horror parts of the movie like the resurrection scene which is something out of darker cyberpunk / sci-fi movies.

- The future city scenes like those in Zion have been bad since the Matrix Reloaded. And they are still bad here.

- Matrix Resurrections reminded me of The Thing 2011. Which was a prequel, remake, and reboot that seemed to want a sequel. Matrix Resurections is just a sequel, remake, and reboot that also wants a sequel.

- That setup for a sequel in Matrix Resurrections is what they should have somehow incorporated into this movie as this is almost a 3 hour movie.

- For some reason the action doesn't feel as big or epic as the original movies. Maybe because I didn't watch it in theaters first. Or because of the nature of the movie. But still I mentioned in this topic how Matrix Reloaded has one of the best motorcycle / chase sequences. Well it still holds that position.

- I think one of the problems with all The Matrix sequels is they lack a strong villain. I believe the rule for many great movies is that they all have strong villains. The bad guy even drops who should be seen in this movie (complete with another inside joke it seems) but that is left for the possible sequel. And it's a shame because I'll always say you should make the best movie you can. Not make a movie and say give us more money and we'll explain or finish the story in two or three movies.

- The story feels like something I've seen in other sci-fi movies or TV shows but handled a lot better in those. Probably due to a good villain and building up the hero a bit more. It's not just that the villain in Matrix Resurrections is obvious. I think at times the villain comes off as barely threatening.

- They did something in Matrix Resurrections that some have a problem with in Friday the 13th Part 2. There is a reason for it. But still I believe directors need to be careful when doing that as all you do is remember the better movie. But I will say some of the scenes are kind of artsy.

- The lead actress is showing up in a bunch of recent horror and sci-fi movies. She's pretty good in Matrix Resurrections as well.

- If you didn't like how Trinity was handled in the third Matrix movie. Then you'll probably like parts of this movie. That's probably why I partially like this movie and I find it an acceptable part of the series.

- Last point which is a bit of a spoiler as well.
    They didn't use the Matrix going in cycles idea which I thought was clever from Reloaded. I did like the opening though.

And they also either killed off or I just missed the explanation for not having The Oracle or The Architect around. Those were two of the big characters at the end of the third Matrix movie. Smith at the end was even part Oracle. That's another reason I'll rewatch this again one day.

11. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

If you hated the sequels then I'd stay far away from this one, it does nothing but reduce the impact of everything introduced in the original.

I read Lawrence wasn't even contacted about reprising Morpheus and I also assume he's probably changed more physically than any of the returning actors. While I understand that, this "new" Morpheus is a joke. He's about one degree away from eating watermelon and busting out a rendition of Al Jolsen's "Mammy".